Indoor longbow

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
If you are an AGB member, so long as it's under 60lbs you are ok indoors and out. Of course warbows aren't under 60lbs, so you might need to join the heavy bow society for that.
We're not Archery Australia (who have brought in a max 60lb rules for all bow types), in World Archery & AGB it's only compounds that have a 60lb limit*, other bowstyles are unlimited when it comes to poundage.

* - ok, and 95lb for crossbows...

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If you arent knackered by the effort then carry on. the faster arrow has a slight advantage over the slower one from a lighter bow
Some people like to invent rules to cover things they havent thought of themselves.

jerryRTD

[QUOTE="bimble, post: 808313, member: 2132"

[/QUOTE]
That poundage is measured at the latch and is the same for all crossbows so a 50% letoff compound crossbow could have a peak draw weight of 190lbs and still have a 95lb latch weight???Some thing needs to change.

deadb0y

Neither you nor your bow are the problem...
Your post sums up perfectly why I tend to shun clubs and competitions.
Del
Yes... The indoor place I was at had quite lax rules and regs but in the end I just gave up.. Far too up them selves for my likings.. I do field now, none of that hoity toity stuff and you can have a good grin too :)

Last edited:

AndyW

That poundage is measured at the latch and is the same for all crossbows so a 50% letoff compound crossbow could have a peak draw weight of 190lbs and still have a 95lb latch weight???Some thing needs to change.

Please tell me AGB aren't allowed these horrid things.

Corax67

I shot the comp last week and came away with a silver medal despite suffering an optical migraine 6 ends from finishing the Portsmouth & having to withdraw from that round, not being able to see the target at 20yds with a chunky longbow wasn’t really going to work, especially as a miss ended up in a breeze block wall a few feet behind - really pleased with how the day went.

Spent a lot of the day chatting to one of the judges who seemed to enjoy hanging out in the ‘stick & string’ corner and he saw no issue whatsoever with bow poundage, he too was of the opinion “if you are comfortable drawing it then use it”

Overall had a great time and am looking forward to the Spring indoor in a few months time although I may take earplugs with me - indoor archery is really noisy 😱

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
[QUOTE="bimble, post: 808313, member: 2132"

[/QUOTE]

They also forbid any cocking aids (or gloves or fingerstalls) and the bow has to be drawn by hand... that will probably limit the poundage that most people can draw...

AndyW

They also forbid any cocking aids (or gloves or fingerstalls) and the bow has to be drawn by hand... that will probably limit the poundage that most people can draw...
[/QUOTE]

Nice to see another society going against the specific safety instructions of crossbow manufacturers. I see litigation on the horizon - limited to what can be drawn by hand when the manufacturers specifically state not to be drawn by hand. Hmmm.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Nice to see another society going against the specific safety instructions of crossbow manufacturers. I see litigation on the horizon - limited to what can be drawn by hand when the manufacturers specifically state not to be drawn by hand. Hmmm.
I have only seen a crossbow at one GNAS shoot ever... and that was the National Flights.

As the rules also state that they shall shoot on a separate target from other bowstyles, they are effectively banned because competitions aren't going to waste a boss for maybe a single archer, when they can get the entry fee for four. Field shoots tend to stipulate that crossbows are banned from their shoots.

Not to mention the fact that the RoS mostly cover what's allowed in competition. Outside of competition is a different matter.

Worrying about an almost non-existent bowstyle in GNAS' world isn't worth the effort. If someone was thinking of being serious about target crossbow in the UK they'd not be going to GNAS shoots, but those organised by the National Crossbow Federation, who follow the rules set out by the WCSA (World Crossbow Shooting Association), which includes for target crossbow...

The draw weight is 95lbs (43 kg) max. Draw length 12". The total weight of the crossbow can be up to 22lbs (10 kg). Butt hooks are allowed as are open or aperture sights (no magnifying sights). No loading devices are allowed, the crossbow must be drawn by hand.
If you've chosen to shoot a crossbow that can't be shot (well, drawn) safely under the rules of the organisation that you want to shoot at, that's on you. If you buy a 70lb compound, you can't grump about not being able to go to GNAS shoots with it.