Indoor shooting

Mufti

Outdoors - fast to get to the target as quick as possible and be influenced by forces of nature as little as possible.
Indoors - slow? for what reason?

Any answers?

My thoughts;

If we setup, aim and release correctly theory says that the arrow will go where we aim - independent of arrow speed.

I am assuming perfection in bow/arrow setup there being no excuse for anything else.

grimsby archer

Outdoors - fast to get to the target as quick as possible and be influenced by forces of nature as little as possible.
Indoors - slow? for what reason?
I assume you are talking about arrow speed?
Who says indoor should be slow?

Somethings give an advantage that have a side effect of slowing the arrow down (large feathers give stability, large diameter arrows are more likely to be line cutters) but I've never heard of any advantage to positively slowing down the arrow

M

Moose

Slow mainly comes from compound so as to give the fletching time to do something

Alternative is to use a slower bow but indoor arrows are cheaper than an indoor bow

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I don't think it's about the speed of the arrow indoors but the speed of straightening the arrow quicker.. As you know I don't do technical.. I leave that for the pit crew! fat arrows = line cutters.. But there is also an argument for keeping your outdoor setup as this is where most people spend copious hours tuning their bow. If your technique is good, the arrow goes in the middle so no need for fat arrows. You have to find what works for you.. You might decide to stay with skinny arrows bu your brain may then fight with you all through he round questioning what could've been with fat arrows :cupcake:

Craftsman

My only experience came when I joined a Field club for their indoor season.
We were shooting at about 15m and I was using my compound with all the bells, whistles and tassels at life size animal targets.
With my peep and front sight, I was literally able to pick my spot e.g. the eyeball of the Capercaillie and put three touching arrows into it.

Luckily, I knew nothing about this indoor-outdoor debate and was using my bow in it's 'outdoor' set up.

So, what is the set up change actually for,,,,I don't see a need for it!

Captainswoop

I can see the use for longer fletchings to stabilize the arrow more quickly over the shorter distance, this would cause a loss of speed but over the short distances indoors it wouldn't matter so much and the trade off is worth it.

NickL

I can see the use for longer fletchings to stabilize the arrow more quickly over the shorter distance, this would cause a loss of speed but over the short distances indoors it wouldn't matter so much and the trade off is worth it.
+1

Also, you don't need the poundage to shoot at 20yds, so give your muscles a rest during the indoor season!!!