Insurance

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
I thought I'd start a separate thread rather than piggyback on the 'No refunds' thread although was referencing my question.

I pay my fees to the AGB as well as the club fees, area fees etc.

We are a tiny independent club who used to insure the club ourselves. However it was becoming more difficult in succeeding years to keep up with all the necessary paperwork to satisfy the insurance company. Bearing in mind it was run by an elderly couple who weren't up to coping with this.

A few years ago we decided the easiest way would be to join AGB which would put us under their umbrella for insurance purposes.

This of course meant fees had to go up substantially to cover this and I feel this is putting off new membership. Bearing in mind we use the local primary hall/field once a week and really have no contact at all with AGB.

I know I could insure myself at a much cheaper rate as no doubt could all our members but...does the 'club' itself have to have a separate insurance policy in force? Especially as we hiring the hall and outdoor space?

There is no fear of having an uninsured person shoot as we are very careful in no club fees paid...no shoot.

Is there any advantage in having club insurance through AGB?

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I thought I'd start a separate thread rather than piggyback on the 'No refunds' thread although was referencing my question.

I pay my fees to the AGB as well as the club fees, area fees etc.

We are a tiny independent club who used to insure the club ourselves. However it was becoming more difficult in succeeding years to keep up with all the necessary paperwork to satisfy the insurance company. Bearing in mind it was run by an elderly couple who weren't up to coping with this.

A few years ago we decided the easiest way would be to join AGB which would put us under their umbrella for insurance purposes.

This of course meant fees had to go up substantially to cover this and I feel this is putting off new membership. Bearing in mind we use the local primary hall/field once a week and really have no contact at all with AGB.

I know I could insure myself at a much cheaper rate as no doubt could all our members but...does the 'club' itself have to have a separate insurance policy in force? Especially as we hiring the hall and outdoor space?

There is no fear of having an uninsured person shoot as we are very careful in no club fees paid...no shoot.

Is there any advantage in having club insurance through AGB?
You would have to ask the hirers of your facilities what they expect you to have in place. I'm not sure why no-one offered to help the elderly couple handle the insurance and the paperwork.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If no one in your club wants to shoot AGB (or anyone else's competitions) or go to friendlies with other clubs there is no reason why, with you landlords' knowledge you should not self insure. Lots of clubs do.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
What was all the necessary paperwork required by the Insurers?
I'm only hearing this second hand but there was risk assessment (which presumably is normal) as well as anti bullying policy, child protection etc.
I think they just panicked and took what they thought was the obvious route.

Ironically we had to move premises to comply with AGB regs and that enabled us to expand and grow membership. We're now in a far better position than we were before and could probably have done what was necessary.