Is my nocking point legal?

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I am using a served nocking point above and below the arrow. I use Diamondback (0.018) for the nock points on Angel Majesty 0.015 as it grips really well. I need about 12 turns to prevent each point un-ravelling ( I don't use locktite although I probably should). The means I get about a 12-15mm of raised serving under the nock. Do you think a judge may consider this as an aid to anchoring? It is quite possible this could be my 50m crawl position.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'd say yes.
And some judges are a law unto themselves.
I would keep the one nocking point and change the one that's possible a problem. I use superglue gel. It's not been a problem in over a decade.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
That's what I was wondering. I use to tie a bead nocking point from 4 turns of de-waxed 8125 and coat in superglue. It made a good hard bead that was tiny, light and tough. I may go back to that.
I don't want to fall foul of the rules. Judges often have variations in their interpretations of the rules, so I always try to stay well inside. I was once told I could not eat a pastie walking to the target. So I ate it on the way back. I never did find a rule for pasties.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I always use brass nocking points.

They are simple to install, adjustable and pretty reliable.

I know that they aren't popular among the top archers due to their weight but I figure that the number of points that I drop due to my nocking points is dwarfed by the number I drop due to other reasons, including my own ineptitude.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
Hi ThomVis,
Thanks for the video, but it presents the same issue as I am questioning. The distance a served nocking point extends below the arrow nock could be construed as an reference for your crawl when string walking. I use a similar nock point , but I whip finish, I don't tie knots and they don't come undone, but you have to be very careful what serving thread you use.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I have some in my box but they are very heavy and I do like a super light nocking point. The brass ones can have a tendency to take a chunk from your nose when string walking.

ThomVis

Hi ThomVis,
Thanks for the video, but it presents the same issue as I am questioning. The distance a served nocking point extends below the arrow nock could be construed as an reference for your crawl when string walking. I use a similar nock point , but I whip finish, I don't tie knots and they don't come undone, but you have to be very careful what serving thread you use.
Sorry for my short answer, got distracted and only supplied the link
World Archery uses the same knot & tutorial (here). If it's on their site (and the length of the knot is within reason) I would consider it valid. Unless there is a rule on your bowstyle that says otherwise.

Never could get that way to stay put.
I use Brownell #4 Twisted Serving which compresses a bit when you tie it. Never needed glue, the only one that came undone was when I was lazy and didn't tie enough knots (6 instead of 10) in a hurry.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have some in my box but they are very heavy and I do like a super light nocking point. The brass ones can have a tendency to take a chunk from your nose when string walking.
Mine are 6-7 grains each which isn't a lot, but I admit could be significant if you're really trying to get the mass down, and is way more than a foot of serving.

I sometimes touch up the brass nocks with a needle file if they develop sharp edges, but I can see that that's something that you wouldn't want to have to be worrying about if they were coming into contact with your face.

Stretch

I use the 0.021” Angel Majesty on Majesty serving. No issues with grip or coming undone. I tie with a “normal” serving technique and the total length is about 8mm. Think that is 14 or so wraps, sorry I just do it by eye. 15mm does seem very long.

Sometimes they can be moved if you really want them to... but mostly not.

If you have concerns over legality ask for technical committee review and carry the response. (As we did when Spigareli introduced the Quadrata sight pin - after a judge sticks a pen through your sight pin and trashes it you have to do something - and again when Titan Recurve “Scopes” came in to vogue). I’m assuming that other bodies have equivalent technical committees of course.

2p

Stretch

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I use the 0.021” Angel Majesty on Majesty serving. No issues with grip or coming undone. I tie with a “normal” serving technique and the total length is about 8mm. Think that is 14 or so wraps, sorry I just do it by eye. 15mm does seem very long.

If you have concerns over legality ask for technical committee review and carry the response.

Stretch
Like you I use a normal serving method. I have re-served my points with around 8 turns gives me around 8mm of nocking point below the arrow nock. I can't think that is unreasonable. Any nock has to have some size. As always it comes down to the discretion of the judges and no one wants an issue at the start of a tournament.
I forgot to add. The reason I like these served nock points (without superglue) is the point they touch the arrow has some give, eg they are a bit soft. This is useful especially with 3 under hook, as they position the nock well but don't pinch hard with the acute angle of the string and thus don't press down on the rest. This was not an issue shooting OR but with a decent crawl for 18m (about 30mm) the lower part of the string is essentially dry loosed, and good support for the arrow during the release has got to be good.

Attachments

Last edited:

AJBrady

Mark2, I think your 8mm nock point is more reasonable. If I were a judge, I'd be asking myself if the primary purpose of 15mm of serving was that of a nocking point. (though I know nothing of barebow rules!)

Hawkmoon

They are simple to install, adjustable and pretty reliable.

I know that they aren't popular among the top archers due to their weight but I figure that the number of points that I drop due to my nocking points is dwarfed by the number I drop due to other reasons, including my own ineptitude.
The biggest reason for barebow archers not liking brass nocks is that most of us anchor at the side of our face and if you have a poor release a brass nock moving at around 200 fps hurts when it hits your nose or lip.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
The biggest reason for barebow archers not liking brass nocks is that most of us anchor at the side of our face and if you have a poor release a brass nock moving at around 200 fps hurts when it hits your nose or lip.
I've still got a scar on my left forearm from a brass knocking point :)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm worried about my brass nocking points now even though I've never had an iota of trouble from them.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I have now shot around 200 arrows from this nock point an its holding fine. I'll stick with it for now and see if there are enough turns to hold itself together. It's looking ok though.
Personally I don't see the benefit of brass nock points as you can easily adjust a 4 turn served point by turning it on the string. They are also relatively heavy and almost smack in the middle of the string for best possible effect.
As Hawkmoon says, I tend to draw longer shooting barebow and I'm uncomfortable with a lump of brass wizzing past the end of my nose. Especially those little pointy bits where they cut the brass and don't round them off.:ROFLMAO:

Stretch

The counter is that Rick McKinney used to shoot with a single brass nocking point (above the nock) and as I recall was the first archer to break 1350.

Personally I don’t like them but I am happy to tinker, experiment with different ways of doing my nocking points etc. If you want perfect nock fit use Beiter Nocking Points but they are a bit of a pain in the ass.... and if you serve them too tight they crack. But I can see the attraction of the brass.

If you’re worried about tied nock points coming off just paste superglue over the top. (Don’t soak though, superglue damages Dyneema strings)

Stretch