Is this overkill? Choosing an SKB hard cover case for a recurve bow

s.quercus

I am trying to choose a case for my first recurve bow.

Purpose:

I will mainly be carrying my equipment between home and the club's shooting range for now. I would like the case to be tough nonetheless ? one that can withstand tossing at airports ? in case I will be doing some travelling with my bow in the future. Can't afford to buy two cases.

Equipment it will hold:

Just one set of recurve gear (riser, limbs, stabilizers, arrows, etc.).

Models:

I am really smitten with the SKB 4417 case. I really like the looks and the padding. Not a fan of cut-out foam. But, is it too big? It is 46 inches, that is around 10 inches longer than most recurve cases. Heavy, weighs 28 pounds.

Similar idea: SKB 5014. Cheaper, but even longer, 50 inches!

Pelican 1700 is lighter (17 pounds), shorter (36 inches), cheaper. Perhaps I could get it without the foam and separately buy the kind of padding SKB ones have.

Your thoughts? Have you owned something similar? All comments will be very much appreciated.

dave lpb

I would say it is a bit of over kill(never owned ever but did look into them when looking for a new hard case for my recurve).

If you are looking for a decent case I highly recommend this: Decut - ABS Recurve Case

I use one and have found it has survived (and kept my kit safe & secure) on countless coach journeys, have never flown with my bow but if it can stand up To a coach journey then it should have no problem with flying. It is big enough to fit all the equipment that you need outdoors (bow, arrows, spotting scope, quiver etc etc).

I would recommend the SKB case even though it may appear like a lot of money it is worth it every penny. The hard shell is very strong and as yet I have never know one to break just only the catch. When it comes to replacement parts just contact SKB and they will send out new catches no questions ask.

With regards to the models your looking at the ones I would recommend would either be Deluxe 4214 or Compact 3712. For just every day shooting plus short travel trips the compact 3712 will do. I have manged to take out the foam top and bottom then model it to my own fit getting in two complete bows without any problems. The deluxe 4214 works really well if travelling for longer periods again you can take the foam out and pack it with clothes as well.
The foam cut out that comes with it is already designed for two bows which has worked for me for a while before I took the foam out.

You also get an insurance with it which you don't get with any other manufacture see below.

$1500 Content Coverage Warranty
Offered with all ATA-rated SKB Sports Hard Cases, no registration required. SKB will cover up to $1500 to repair or replace equipment damaged by a commercial airline carrier while secured in one of our ATA-rated cases. If your gear has been damaged on a flight, first file a claim with the airline (SKB recommends keeping copies of all documents related to your claim and taking pictures of damages whenever possible). Once the claim has been settled, submit it and related documents to SKB for review. SKB may provide up to $1500 to cover any outstanding cost above the airline's claim amount. For more information on this warranty program, please contact our customer service department at (800) 654-5992.

Hope this helps and you find what you want.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've flown with cheap (Cartel) hard bodied cases with wheels but no foam, including going to Oz. I use my clothes and etc as packing and padding and have always gone without paying extra baggage. Never had a problem with the construction or sturdiness. For Oz I took a rucksack case as well for the rest of my stuff as I went for a month and then transferred my bowkit into it when I was there.

If you have a 28lb case it will already be over weight for some carriers before you put anything in it. The cost of both rucksack and hard case was less than half the SKB or Peli. Whatever you get I would recommend taking a roll of duct tape and taping the catches and latches down because if anything is going to get damaged it will be those.

Tuck

I use a Negrini case for air transport as it is light and sturdy, the larger size ones are good for all, pad with clothes or foam.
Never had a breakage. Oh and do tape the over centre locks, the centre lock is protected by the handle.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

s.quercus

Thank you all for the replies!

I know, I got carried away there for a moment, the 4417 is gorgeous! :blush:

I thought about the Decut case, but I think I still prefer something like the Pelican 1700.

I wonder, does anyone use their Pelican or the like on a daily basis (or for flights only)?

And thank you for the catches and latches tip, noted!

Dansig

The pelican case is just to heavy and to big for everyday use.
I have a ?10.000 competition rifle and still I rather use a soft case for short trips than the peli, even though the foam is cusom made for the rifle.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Oblivion

Decut case for me. Sturdy, well thought out interior, comes with spare wheels. Doesn't cost the earth.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

urbin

A few of my club mates use the big wheeled hard-cases for everyday use - they just roll them from their car to the clubhouse. One uses a big double recurve case, one the smaller zipped Cartel ABS case, and the others use various types of hard equipment cases for tier compounds (keyboard cases are popular).

Personally I use a soft case for my compound but I'm looking at a hard flight case for it in the next year. I'm currently looking at one which looks a a though it may be deep enough for my gear plus most of the contents of my suitcase (SKB rail pack utility case 1SKB-H4816W) if I'm cunning with the carry-on, specifically for travelling, since I wouldn't check through the soft case.

I use a Pelican 1700 for my recurve on a constant basis, yes its heavy but it has wheels, if you are caught out in a rainstorm it's waterproof! and it's virtually indestructible, I've actually has 2 the first was a Browning shotgun case (a rebadged Peli) and then I bought another this time an original 1700 for my sons compound, both with full foam, however I don't use the foam apart from a couple of strips used for arrows in the lid. When my son changed bows I sold the browning and kept the Peli for myself

I carry my entire recurve outfit in it including a large Easton quiver. My riser and limbs are kept in their hoyt bags, I have a Sureloc Quest-X sight and it's hard case fits perfectly at the end of the case, this case contains all of my bits - Sight, 2 pins, 2 buttons, V bar and extender, top rod. I have a Aurora bag Velcro-ed to the case which hold my essential tools and a large pair of Nikon 10-42 binos, my outdoor arrows are in the lid. Also in the case is a set of X10 stabs (32" long rod) a stand a couple of chest guards and the Easton Quiver. To me its the ultimate recurve case, I've been using it for 8 years and it looks as good as new

I have a couple of 2SKB-4114A parallel limb double bow boxes my son uses for international travel, they are not as strong as the peli and the size means they will not fit in the boot of a "normal sized" car

s.quercus

So, I settled on the Pelican 1700. Received it today! A fine case and does seem to be just the right size for a recurve kit.

Now I am waiting for my archery gear to arrive! :jump:

Once I've got everything organized, I can post some photos of my set up.

Thank you again for all the helpful replies.