Is your club joining in with AGB Big Archery Weekend?

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
I am wondering how many clubs will be running a weekend of archery as part of AGB Big Archery Weekend.
No idea nothings been mentioned yet, I’ll enquire with some committee members to see if we are.
Don’t see why not though as the club is fairly active with have a go’s

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Ours normally does, and they're incredibly active in terms of have-a-goes, so I would think they will.

ben tarrow

I've put it to our membership to decide.
TBH, whilst we had lots of people take part, we got zero new members and zero beginners courses out of it.
That said, our club members who helped on the day turned it into a big social occasion which was enjoyed by all who took part.

Jake Bullit

We normally hold a have a go in March to try and get people on our beginners courses that run from April to September .Then if were not booked up which is the norm , we`ll do the big weekend as well.

Corax67

Christmas 2017 I had a mad idea to go BIG, really big for the Big Weekend with our club - too much sherry and cake. Blitzing the netball (county trials held at our site) and rugby folks (all ages from tots to vets) with banners and flyers for a couple of months beforehand & big banners on the club entrance signs to capture the attention of some of the high volume of passing commuter traffic.

Costs would have been minimal as I know a banner manufacturer so they’d have been at “mates rates” and all printing would have gone through our copy department (free).

Do you think I could get any support from the rest of the club or membership?

The response was “we do really well by word of mouth so we don’t need to run an event like this”

Two months on from this year’s membership renewal and the club has 25 members (1 junior) where 3 years ago we had 80 members (12 juniors). Cannot prove the 2018 Big Weekend would have made a difference to these numbers had we run it but in my heart I believe we would have a much stronger club if we had.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Karl, "we don't need to " is a lovely place to be in; a bit like having more money than you are ever likely to spend.
At least, it is until something goes wrong and you find there is no "strength" binding the club to arm it for a common purpose.

ben tarrow

Christmas 2017 I had a mad idea to go BIG, really big for the Big Weekend with our club - too much sherry and cake. Blitzing the netball (county trials held at our site) and rugby folks (all ages from tots to vets) with banners and flyers for a couple of months beforehand & big banners on the club entrance signs to capture the attention of some of the high volume of passing commuter traffic.

Costs would have been minimal as I know a banner manufacturer so they’d have been at “mates rates” and all printing would have gone through our copy department (free).

Do you think I could get any support from the rest of the club or membership?

The response was “we do really well by word of mouth so we don’t need to run an event like this”

Two months on from this year’s membership renewal and the club has 25 members (1 junior) where 3 years ago we had 80 members (12 juniors). Cannot prove the 2018 Big Weekend would have made a difference to these numbers had we run it but in my heart I believe we would have a much stronger club if we had.

Karl
My personal rule has always been "dont ask anyone to do something I'm not prepared to do myself"so when I come up with what I think is a great idea, I just do it. I'd have printed all those posters and put them up, then when everyone is saying what a great success it all was, I'd know it was all my own work.

Corax67

My personal rule has always been "dont ask anyone to do something I'm not prepared to do myself"so when I come up with what I think is a great idea, I just do it. I'd have printed all those posters and put them up, then when everyone is saying what a great success it all was, I'd know it was all my own work.
I’m not a qualified AGB coach neither have I attended an AGB training course on running a “have a go”, as such it was not possible for me to run the event without support from those in the club who have.

Karl