Jelly bow strings - how many strands?

Corax67

Still working my way through our equipment containers and have uncovered a dozen or so jelly bows - other than being coloured yellow, orange, blue & red and of different lengths there is no other info on them. They are in immaculate condition but are without strings.

How many strands of B-50 would be suitable for these bows ? I am guessing no more than 10 and maybe not even that.

Was thinking they could be used for a club novelty shoot one weekend.

Karl

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Enough to make sure your club arrows stay on nicely. You aren't looking for top performance, it's more important you have no dry fires and the frustration of the arrow falling off really puts off novices.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
We are literally just setting up a jelly bow clout competition in our club, with the flag at about 70 yds....

I managed 110yd with a jellybow and aluminium arrows on Saturday, though that was wind assisted....

As for strings, they are supplied with a length of paracord as a string,I would think anything above 6 or 8 strands would be plenty for the power, more an issue getting a good nock fit.

Corax67

Thanks guys - I will make up a 6, 8 & 10 strand string for one bow then have a fiddle with the servings until I find a sweet spot - guessing that an 8 with a doubled Brownells #4 around the nocking point might be the place to start.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Try jelly baby clout!
That's where you throw( by hand) boy jelly babies at the flag from any distance further than 5 yards. All the jelly babies must be named so be careful what you write with and even more careful what you write on.

Corax67

Try jelly baby clout!
That's where you throw( by hand) boy jelly babies at the flag from any distance further than 5 yards. All the jelly babies must be named so be careful what you write with and even more careful what you write on.

Genius ! ! !

I do wonder why, in this age of equality, only boy jelly babies get thrown ? If the feminist movement catch wind of this we are all in trouble ;)

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Well, the reason is simple, though it may not satisfy the feminist movement's thirst for equality.
In every quarter pound of jelly babies, only 2 on average will be girls. It isn't a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers, in order to raise the price for girl jelly babies in the trading amongst children. Rather it is an accidental result of the de-nibbing process after they are released from their moulds. That process is a tumbling in sharp grit and produces some random events. One of which is that some babies lose their body hair and look more feminine.
Occasionally, if you look carefully, some end up with longer toe nails than usual, having missed some of the de-nibbing by hiding behind a fellow baby. Some would say "accidentally getting hidden behind a fellow baby" but the effects are the same. Strangely, finger nails all seem to be shortened to the point where nail biting would seem to be viral in the community.
The gender differences are put down to the random nature of the process; but details are difficult to find.

Corax67

By heck Geoff that sounds like science and reasoning - what's that doing on this forum ! :)

Almost elevates the girl jelly baby to four-leaf clover status.

Karl

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No. there are girls in a 50/50 ratio. They've just chosen to wear trousers to avoid upskirting tory MPs.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The rarity of the females does increase their value for collectors; but as explained it is not a decision made at manufacture, just the way they come out.
As for TT's statement.... I never knew jelly babies wore clothes. We used to play a game where we sucked them( no chewing) and kept taking them out to see who could end up with the smallest remains that still had the belly button on it.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The rarity of the females does increase their value for collectors; but as explained it is not a decision made at manufacture, just the way they come out.
As for TT's statement.... I never knew jelly babies wore clothes. We used to play a game where we sucked them( no chewing) and kept taking them out to see who could end up with the smallest remains that still had the belly button on it.
Now if they aren't wearing clothes, I'd love to know how they are identified as male?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Remember they all start out the same gender. After the de- nibbing is the time when most come through unscathed and, some for no real reason; just random; end up looking puzzled as if there is something missing but they can't put their finger on it. There are no puzzled expressions on the boys.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Some of you have wayyyy to much time on your hands....

Jelly babies are for eating, end of... :)

Corax67

What might skew the boy / girl ratio however is the fact that whilst we are counting purely physical attributes we have no idea what each jelly baby actually identifies as in terms of gender - it's a staistical minefield.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would have thought they are too young to be able to make a decision on that aspect. Let's just eat them and be thankful they can't resist.