Just been on my first ever 3d shoot

Hutchie

Courtesy of Auld Kirk Bowmen , at Parton, Dumfries and Galloway.

I took up archery in August last year , aged 55, having wanted to try it for as long as I can remember. Other stuff always seemed to get in the way though.

Anyhoo, yesterday (13th December 2015) at 1:10 pm (Yes, I was 10 minutes late) I met with the patient archers in the wee car park.
Strung my bow (used my lovely Browning Rover 35# at 28" recurve) , grabbed my quiver and tilley hat and away we went.

What a fantastic day I had.
I can honestly say I was so exhilerated from start to finish that I can barely remember it, it was only 3 hours, but it seemed like 5 minutes.
20 targets, all proper 3d ones. Bears, warthogs all sorts. I was blown away!

I scored 162 from a possible 480 , which for my first ever time I am delighted with.

I scored one 24 on a resting fawn (HA! dead!)

I cannot wait for the next one, easily get over 200 now I know what the scoop is.

Roll on the Ironman :)

Thank you anybody that read this gushing :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Excellent... it just needs one 24 to banish the thoughts of the blanked targets!
A day out in the woods with bow and arrow... can't beat it.
Mind, you don't say what you were shooting... hopefully longbow or primitive.
Del

Hutchie

Browning Recurve, 1972 model. 64 inch AMO. 35# at 28" , I went with my allrounder.

From now on though, it will be only my crazy horse horsebow. Expect more 24s

steve Morley

Glad you had a blast.

I shot my first competition 30 years ago, I remember it like yesterday. I have some wonderful memories and friends from this sport.

Hutchie

Aye. I can't wait to go again, I've a couple of rubber foam beasts that have yet to be introduced to my arrows.

It is still a complete blur of sheer joy. Right, off to work on never wasting a third arrow (if third ever required)

Zhoo Zhoo

Yes they do have that very satisfying plastic foamy thud when you hit them. I can perfectly understand your exhilaration as I felt exactly the same after tackling my first set if 3D's, and coming back with all my wooden arrows intact from a shoot in the woods is another great feeling (happens more often than not, but I've broken several and lost one amongst the undergrowth). It helps having pink arrows 😊

Hutchie

There are three sounds that I love....
The sound of an arrow being nocked
The sound of an arrow thwacking a target
The sound of a kettle whistling

I only lost one arrow, on the last target, it skipped off merrily into the dusky 4 pm scottish afternoon undergrowth. It'll turn up someday

I am off to buy luminous spray paint :)