[Horsebow] kaya windfighter

evolram

Hi all
just got myself a kaya windfighter and don't seem to be able to find the correct brace height setting. I've seen from 5 1/2 - 6 3/4. So if anyone has a ktb or a windfighter could you tell me what you have the brace height set to.
Cheers Marc

winno

Hi all
just got myself a kaya windfighter and don't seem to be able to find the correct brace height setting. I've seen from 5 1/2 - 6 3/4. So if anyone has a ktb or a windfighter could you tell me what you have the brace height set to.
Cheers Marc
5.5" to 6" seems to be the generally recommended bh - I have just measured my #30 and it's 5.75"

Unbelievably fast - even a suprise experienced longbow archers!

evolram

Hi all
Had a great day today trying different arrows for my windfighter or as I like to call it my toy bow. Would you believe me if I said after trying all my longbows arrows and a set of huge poc arrows I made for this bow and some other arrows the best ones were 500 fatboys with 4"feathers. So i think that will be my next buy. Thing is tho what would that be classed as? Horse bow shooting fatboys with a med draw.
Cheers Marc

Riceburner

Hi all
Had a great day today trying different arrows for my windfighter or as I like to call it my toy bow. Would you believe me if I said after trying all my longbows arrows and a set of huge poc arrows I made for this bow and some other arrows the best ones were 500 fatboys with 4"feathers. So i think that will be my next buy. Thing is tho what would that be classed as? Horse bow shooting fatboys with a med draw.
Cheers Marc
From what I remember - due to the fact that it has Carbon in the limbs it probably comes under the same styles as my Samick Mind50 - NAFS : Hunting Tackle, AGB: Recurve BareBow (IIRC). Obviously though if someone knows better please correct me!

Archer Dave

This reply may very well not help much in some ways, but then again, it will give you some information in how Koreans use their carbon bows which are "similarities", not replicas of their hornbows.
A quick rundown of Korean hornbows might help in explaining what I'm going to say about the Kaya bow. Korean hornbows have some flexibility to their limbs and are tuned so that they won't unstring on drawing them. This results in an asymetry to their appearance. The grip is offset about one third the width of the grip. The two limbs will have different brace heights, the upper being about five to six millimetres more than the lower. All of this is to offset the way the gripping hand pushes into the grip on drawing the bow. Full drawn, the lower limb bows more than the upper. The five mm less in brace height helps compensate for greater bowing on drawing. Hornbows also have a brace height at the grip. Pressing down on the grip and flattening the riser area can be used to reduce the poundage of the bow. This changes the brace height at the grip. The brace heights, above and below the grip, are the same regardless of doing this or not. Now to the Kaya bow.
Korean carbon bows are stiffer than hornbows. Off setting the grip is unnecessary. Changing the brace height at the grip is impractical to pointless. However, drawing a carbon, the lower limb's bowing will be greater than the upper's just the same as a hornbow.
I just got out my wife's Kaya bow and measured it's brace "heights". Upper limb, 6 1/4 inches; lower limb, 6 in. Now to be fair. I don't know if her Kaya bow is the windfighter. This a bow she got about ten years ago direct from Kaya. This was about the time they entered the Korean market. The second point is that here in Korea, Kaya markets their bows not just in poundage, but also in length, be it only a difference of about one centimetre.
Now the downside. How the archer strings their bow can have an effect on which limb has the larger brace height. And this is true for the Kaya bows. My wife has had three and all had the brace heights affected by stringing method. Using the between legs method to string the bow, the limb between the legs is bowed more than the limb out to the side. With a good Korean bow, which limb goes between the legs won't make a difference. Unfortunately for all the Kaya bows I've dealt with (my wife's and other archers' as well), stringing the bows with lower limbs between the legs has been a problem. Measuring the brace heights shows the lower limb's to be greater than the upper's.
All I started out to do was to get a brace height for one Kaya bow if it would be of use for you and then I realized that there are two, no four, and so on, and so on. Sorry for any discomfort or frustration this has caused you. After all, all you want to do is shoot and enjoy your bow. So, all the best and many hits.