KG Falcon - thoughts?

Andyt23

Does anyone have any photos and opinions to share about the KG Falcon?
I had a shoot of the Osprey today and it was great, but now I've seen the Falcon on KG's website and I'm even more tempted! I love the looks, I have a long draw and would love something a bit different for 3D, without compromising too much on usability.
I've been trying to find out more and there are some great reviews on the site but only a few pics and nothing much on YouTube or elsewhere on the internet - I'd love to see more pics of people's bows and hear about how you get on with them. Are they fast, slow, stable, noisy? I only found two mentions on here and it seemed to be the same bow being sold twice after only a few months of ownership...

4d4m

I picked up a barely used 36lb Osprey for a steal last year. Poor guy had only had it 18months and been shooting with it only 4 times due to a shoulder injury and then had to give up. His loss was my gain. Beautiful bow, so smooth and fast and not a hint of stack at my 32". I've not tried the Falcon but I tend to prefer bows with a low grip and the Osprey's handle just works for me.

So I know it's not the same bow but in answer to your question: fast, stable, quiet, smooooth, it's just a joy to shoot. Shot my first ever 3D with it the other week without even trying it at unmarked distances before! It wasn't at silly ranges though; nothing over I'd guess 35 yds. Scored respectably and didn't lose any arrows. It seems to suit me and puts arrows more or less where I want, shooting instinctively.

Andyt23

Thanks for taking the time to reply 4d4m - I was beginning to think I've been imagining things lol. It's great to hear how it behaves in the real world and I'm glad you're enjoying it, long draw and all. Mine is only 30.5" so if it isn't stacking for you, it isn't stacking for me :)
The Osprey I tried obviously wasn't tuned to itself or the arrows I used, so I had to use my imagination a bit as to how it might feel.

I currently use a Mohawk for 3D and fancy something a bit different and the KGs certainly fit that bill, such a beautiful shape.
I'm sure will go for the Falcon (if only to provide a review for the next person who goes searching!), I was just after some info to keep me going until I can get my hands on one, but I guess there mustn't be many of them about (which I have to say adds to the appeal).

4d4m

Why not pop over to KG and try one out? I had a plan to do that with an Osprey, when I happened upon the used one I got.
At some point I have a plan to do that and order a carbon Osprey at a higher draw weight.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Nice to hear what people think of KG bows. I am very tempted by the Osprey at 36lb, I just love the looks and may well take the plunge. I'm just waiting to see if a very good used one comes on the market.
If anyone out there has one that fits the bill I would be very interested,
I'm currently shooting a 35lb Black Hunter Hybrid and love it. The best value for money bow on the market in my humble opinion.

Andyt23

I've admired KG from afar (a five hour round trip) for ages, but now that my local shop have started selling them (a 20 minute drive away), it's made it easier to step up the interest and I'd prefer to keep it local in case things go wrong. Hopefully they can get a Falcon in for me to try at some point. It would be interesting to see the KG shop though, and worth a trip one day.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I've admired KG from afar (a five hour round trip) for ages, but now that my local shop have started selling them (a 20 minute drive away), it's made it easier to step up the interest and I'd prefer to keep it local in case things go wrong. Hopefully they can get a Falcon in for me to try at some point. It would be interesting to see the KG shop though, and worth a trip one day.

Andy, As you live in Durham I take it you're talking about Merlin at Bishop Auckland being your local shop. I live in Newcastle so it is also my local shop but I can't find a KG on their website. Perhaps I should give them a call as I have never held an Osprey and if they have one I may even get the chance to shoot it.

Andyt23

Andy, As you live in Durham I take it you're talking about Merlin at Bishop Auckland being your local shop. I live in Newcastle so it is also my local shop but I can't find a KG on their website. Perhaps I should give them a call as I have never held an Osprey and if they have one I may even get the chance to shoot it.
Hi Graham, no I'm talking about Eagle Archery in Washington - I'll pm you a couple of links. Definitely worth a look, I've been curious for a while too so it was great to get a go of one. You can shoot up to 20 yards in the shop.

DarkMuppet

Sorry to be a downer but I had a go with a Falcon last year at KG and I found it slow and clunky.
The hand shock was rather more than I was expecting too.
I really wanted to like it as its a nice looking and unique bow, but I felt genuinely bummed out that it felt so meeeeh to shoot. :(

I also shoot a Mohawk Andyt23, whether it has spoiled me to expect zero handshock on all bows I couldn't say, but I just expected more from a £500+ bow.

Last edited:

Andyt23

Sorry to be a downer but I had a go with a Falcon last year at KG and I found it slow and clunky.
The hand shock was rather more than I was expecting too.
I really wanted to like it as its a nice looking and unique bow, but I felt genuinely bummed out that it felt so meeeeh to shoot. :(

I also shoot a Mohawk Andyt23, whether it has spoiled me to expect zero handshock on all bows I couldn't say, but I just expected more from a £500+ bow.
thanks, it’s important to get opinions on both sides and highlights the need to try before buying a bow. I’m still half thinking I’d have lower expectations from an osprey (with maybe wooden arrows too) as it would be more different to my Mohawk, which is such a sweet shooting bow. It would be harder not to draw comparisons with the falcon i think.
Need to shoot them both!

DarkMuppet

thanks, it’s important to get opinions on both sides and highlights the need to try before buying a bow. I’m still half thinking I’d have lower expectations from an osprey (with maybe wooden arrows too) as it would be more different to my Mohawk, which is such a sweet shooting bow. It would be harder not to draw comparisons with the falcon i think.
Need to shoot them both!
I also shot an Osprey at the same time as the Falcon and again, I wasn't impressed at all at the handshock (it was way worse than the Falcon.) I believe I swore which rather disturbed the sales guy! 😄
To be fair, it has a much thinner handle than the Mohawk, so its not really a like for like comparison.

You'll definitely need to give them a good try first.

4d4m

I also shot an Osprey at the same time as the Falcon and again, I wasn't impressed at all at the handshock (it was way worse than the Falcon.) I believe I swore which rather disturbed the sales guy! 😄
To be fair, it has a much thinner handle than the Mohawk, so its not really a like for like comparison.

You'll definitely need to give them a good try first.
That is quite odd, as my Osprey is the least handshocky bow I've ever shot. Apart from my oly recurve which has loads of extra mass and sticky out bits.

What's also slightly odd is in 2016 you didn't describe any handshock from the Osprey, you just said it was "very nice indeed".

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I'm waiting for my Osprey to arrive, hopefully this week. I'll comment on handshock once I get it although I didn't notice any at all when I shot the bow in the shop.

bobnewboy

I have a 46lb LH Osprey - the original version rather than the later CF backed version. I shoot wooden shafted and/or bamboo arrows from it in the HT class for fun at NFAS shoots. It’s great :) Very little if any handshock, good speed with very little drop in impact point compared to other FG bows I have shot, and no stacking at my 28” draw. When I met Keith at his shop, he said that there wasn’t any worry with drawlength - longer would be easily accommodated by the bow without changes, and that light arrows would not be a problem. So if I had any carbons/Ali’s I could shoot them in the same bow in the newer TB class. Perhaps I will give that a try I the spring, but I do like to make wooden arrows... :)

DarkMuppet

That is quite odd, as my Osprey is the least handshocky bow I've ever shot. Apart from my oly recurve which has loads of extra mass and sticky out bits.

What's also slightly odd is in 2016 you didn't describe any handshock from the Osprey, you just said it was "very nice indeed".
Yeah, first time i tried one it was aabout 28# so didn't have a lot of wooomph behind it. I rather liked it and considered getting one.
Most recent time, both bows were in the high 40#s and compared to my other bows they kicked like a mule. Guess my tastes change on how it like my bows to feel. 😄

4d4m

I like the fact it's fine with my long draw.
I shoot Timber Creek "traditional" carbons from mine. Shoots pretty flat too; must take chrono to the range sometime.

Andyt23

...so it‘s somewhere between zero and all of the hand shock. Gotcha.

Seems to be a love/hate (or maybe love/meh) kind of bow - which i suppose any bow will be and highlights the need for a considered evaluation.

Looks like there’s only one person who’s gonna make that decision for me... Graham, you have the casting vote!!
Only kidding 😂 I’m just gonna have to make my own mind up 🙄

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
...so it‘s somewhere between zero and all of the hand shock. Gotcha.

Seems to be a love/hate (or maybe love/meh) kind of bow - which i suppose any bow will be and highlights the need for a considered evaluation.

Looks like there’s only one person who’s gonna make that decision for me... Graham, you have the casting vote!!
Only kidding 😂 I’m just gonna have to make my own mind up 🙄
I'm still waiting. :rolleyes: Andy. I spoke to KG yesterday (Wednesday) and they said they will get it out this week so fingers crossed.
I'll let you know how it shoots as soon as possible.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
The Osprey has landed. I picked it up this afternoon but won't be able to shoot it until Sunday. I'll reveal all them Andy.
I've got to say it is a thing of beauty and if it shoots as well as it looks I'll be a happy bunny.

Andyt23

The Osprey has landed. I picked it up this afternoon but won't be able to shoot it until Sunday. I'll reveal all them Andy.
I've got to say it is a thing of beauty and if it shoots as well as it looks I'll be a happy bunny.
Awesome, very happy for you and I hope you get a nice day for it! Nothing quite like getting to know A new bow