knife recommendations?

Mistake

Ironman
Having done my first full field shoot including unmarked, one of my kit difficencies is a suitable knife for getting arrows out of wood.

Obviously this isn't something I plan to do on a regular basis, but as the Tom Lehrar song goes "be prepared!"

After the wonderful run down of what i should be looking for in a new pair of pins (that work amazingly) I'm hoping for something similar to that when it comes to knives.

Thanks in advance

Berk

I've seen people recommend a flat head screwdriver over a knife, they're a bit thicker and sturdier, and less chance of slipping and slicing a finger as you wiggle it about.

I don't carry anything myself at the moment*, but having used knives and screwdrivers on the target bosses and frames I tend to prefer the screwdriver.

I did carry a pen knife of which I used the bottle opener to get in besides the arrow and open the hole a bit, except I'm pretty sure my nearly two year old daughter pick-pocketed me and swapped my pen knife for her dummy.

Valkamai

Flat head screwdriver or a narrow chisel over a knife any day. Ideal for those tricky flat shots. [emoji849]

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yup, screwdriver every time. I've seen too many shafts damaged by knives.

ben tarrow

Knives are just a bit macho, which is why our field archers all wear them, much to the annoyance of our club member who is a policeman.
Dodgy when they forget they've got the quiver on (complete with knife) and go shopping at ASDA after shooting

ben tarrow

Knives are just a bit macho, which is why our field archers all wear them, much to the annoyance of our club member who is a policeman.
Dodgy when they forget they've got the quiver on (complete with knife) and go shopping at ASDA after shooting

D

Deleted member 7654

1/4" chisel ground down to about an inch or so with a curved tip to dig under and lever, antler grip.
I saw a bloke with a huge Bowie knife that slipped as he was pushing in hard. His hand came up in a big arc and he nearly lobotomised himself... mind to be fair, one would have hardly been able to tell the difference ;)
Del

fbirder

I've found one tool that is perfect for extracting arrows from wood - the Bahco SB-2449 Wrecking Knife - https://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-t...-heavy-duty-wrecking-knife-curved-blade-100mm

It's a cross between a chisel and a knife.

I use a rubber mallet to hammer it into the wood with the straight (not sharp) edge parallel to the arrow but about 2mm away. Then I do the same on the other side of the arrow. That leave the arrow with two thin strips of wood either side. Some side-to-side waggling is enough to break those thin strips and loosen the arrow.

Corax67

I would support screwdriver over knife too (and I love knives) - i use a very lightly ground Homebase own brand wide blade jobbie for club days, has a textured high grip handle and cost less than a fiver.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When someone has been lobotomised, with no apparent effects, if you look at their shoes, one will be holding on by its sock.

AndyW

I'd have to go with both. Sometimes you need the knife to cutaway / whittle to the point where you can get the screwdriver to be of use. To save carrying a screwdriver round i went for the chisel knife as well.

Berk

Is that a butterfly chisel? Wouldn't that fall foul of the same laws that prohibit butterfly knives?

vivilanco

No worse than me carrying a 10cm long blade on my belt. Having spoken with a police detective friend (lucky me), she said that because it has a purpose (and is generally kept with associative gear - i.e. archery equipment) it's fine. Carrying it without evidential purpose is when it would be sketchy. Its similar to carrying a baseball / cricket bat without the ball it is perceived as a weapon.

Berk

Fair enough, I was just wondering as butterfly knives are more heavily restricted than normal fixed blade / lock blade knives over 3" that you can carry for a good reason.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Leatherman Charge TTi - superb S30V steel main blade (the other models are much softer 420HC), a entire tool kit stuffed in the back (torx, hex, flathead and Phillips drivers which are all changeable), a darned good file and a decent set of pliers.

Pricey but rock solid guarantee (25 years) and they last forever.

fbirder

Does it last forever when repeatedly hammered into the wooden frame of a boss?

I've just had a look at it. I wouldn't even try using it as a knife for getting arrows out of wood for two reasons:

1. The knife blade doesn't lock, so whacking it with a mallet it likely to make the blade fold - possibly sliging fingers.

2. It costs a ridiculous ?200.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Does it last forever when repeatedly hammered into the wooden frame of a boss?

I've just had a look at it. I wouldn't even try using it as a knife for getting arrows out of wood for two reasons:

1. The knife blade doesn't lock, so whacking it with a mallet it likely to make the blade fold - possibly sliging fingers.

2. It costs a ridiculous ?200.
1: Yes it does as do ALL the blades. And if it did break, Leatherman swaps them no questions asked. This is thick S30V steel - it's VERY hard and solid. I have prized many an arrow out with it. My old Leatherman Mini tool file snapped, sent it back for repair, back came a brand new Rebar costing ?70 compared to the mini tools ?25.

2. The price of the finest multi-tool ever made.

Marcus37

I personally have a Swiss army in my quiver pocket, I have found that the flat head screw driver works well for digging arrows out, also all the other tools are handy to have from time to time.