Lack of focus?

Dr.Bob

So there I am, innocently pulling my lousy shots out of the boss, when I hear "I missed these two because of YOU!"

"excuse me?" I reply, somewhat mystified.

"I missed those two shots because you MOVED when I was at full draw. That's the SECOND time you've done it."

(followed by the speaker then going on to loudly inform everyone listening that she had just given me a telling-off for poor behaviour at the shooting line.......)

Fair enough, except.....all I was doing at the time was standing next to her, shooting my end. Not jumping up and down, not running up and down the shooting line, not waving my bow in her face. Just standing where I was told to stand, shooting when I was told to shoot, with my universe shrunk down to a 3-inch circle on the far side of the room.

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but I was pretty sure that if another archer simply standing and shooting next to you puts you off, it means **you** have a problem with your concentration and focus, and not that the other archer is misbehaving.

Also forgive my naivete, but I was also pretty sure that in ANY sport, blaming another player for your own bad performance IS NOT (rude words)ING WELL ON, not by a looooong way. Or maybe that's just me.

Not a great introduction to a new club.

mrtufty

Hi Dr Bob,

sorry you got such a poor reception at a new place.
The only etiket that I know of is not to go onto or leave the shooting line whilst someone is at/near full draw near you, esp those facing you - perhaps if they have others they should have explained them when you joined!
Even if you had inadvertantly done this it certainly doesn't excuse their behaviour.

Keep smiling despite it all - it winds them up no end

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I blamed a fellow archer for putting me off at practice this evening... of course, he was shining a laser on my target as I was shooting and I was trying not to laugh...

If those two shots were during the same end (it sounds like it) just what sort of movement are we talking about?? Raising the bow?? Taking your shot?? Breathing..??

mf78

Personally when I'm shooting a drunken rugby team could come running alongside me singing rude drinking songs and i probably wouldnt notice. It is etiquette to try not to move on and off the line while your neighbour is at full draw but its easy enough to get caught up in thoughts and not notice and just step off anyway. ITs also etiquette to quietly mention this fact to anyone doing this, not rant and scream and shout and make a scene. I think somebody may have been using you as an excuse for shooting badly ;) They need to learn focus so i would probably go out of my way to step off the line while theyre at full draw from now on.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I'm doing this for your own good... :D

;) They need to learn focus so i would probably go out of my way to step off the line while theyre at full draw from now on.

G

GuardianAngel

Go for a really wild and crazy follow through after the shot, swinging the bow round into her line of sight. Then explain its part of your shot routine.

Seriously, you have nothing to say sorry for.

Dr.Bob

I think I've decided that in future I'll be much more comfortable shooting while I'm wearing my one-man-band rig, the clashing of the cymbals when I draw helps me relax, and the air-horn lets me know I've reached the end of my shot-cycle :)

Fuzzy

Distractions are down to allowing oneself to be distracted. I regularly shoot next to two lovely people who nevertheless can't hit the boss for toffee until they've got their eyes in. Since we're still indoors, this normally results in mighty clatters or bangs as shafts fall to the floor/embed in doorframes/stand legs etc.

I very quickly learned proper mental focus.

Dr.Bob

"mighty clatters or bangs as shafts fall to the floor/embed in doorframes/stand legs etc."

Sounds like me with the Kaya KTB. Notable shots so far include a 1/2 inch deep hole in a brick in the back wall, and a couple of arrows all the way through the edge of the compound target. The wooden edge. That some people prefer to call 'the stand' :)

backinblack

Dr Bob,

It's just one of the time - honoured traditions of archery: winding up the new guy. The lady who had the problem with your "excessive movement" on the shooting line is simply hoping that you are as insecure as she and that she has done something to maintain what she thinks is her established place in the club pecking order.

I can honestly say that I found my "initiation" one of the most motivating experiences of my archery career. As Mr Tufty says, smiling helps but kicking their @rse around the archery field by getting better scores than them is far more satisfying.

Hope that this doesn't put you off and you quickly get back to enjoying your shooting.

Backinblack

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
During shooting, folk are moving about constantly. Whether it be on or off the line, raising/lower bows, praying to the heavens for a good shot, or simply folk mingling behind the equipment/waiting line.

If a persons focus is so poor that ANY movement puts them off to the extent that they miss...they really need to look at themselves. What happens outdoors when the wind might move some tree branches, ot the flag on top of the boss....

If the other person want some real distraction tell them to come shoot @ Giffnock - that'll be interesting for them!!!!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Wear white bandages all over your head; leaving eye holes and breathing holes. Then, no one will know who to blame. It works in "The Invisible Man" movies, so you may even go undetected. Just make sure you don't end up shooting five on a boss; and be very very careful when pulling the arrows.

EVC

I believe she meant you left shooting line when she was at full draw, about to shoot. Not leaving the line at this point is more a question of etiquette and consideration to the others. It does not excuse her behavior though; instead of blaming you it would be better if she just asked you not to leave the line when another archer is at full draw, just as a fellow archer did to me (TBH I usually does not pay attention to it and do not bother when others do it when I am at full draw.)

Cheers!

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I believe she meant you left shooting line when she was at full drawo leave the line , about to shoot.
I always used to ask my shooting companions if the preferred me to stay on the line while they were shooting.....every one of them replied that they weren't bothered either way. Now I don't ask. If I am aware that the people immediately beside me are @ full draw, I hold back, otherwise I'm off!!!

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I believe she meant you left shooting line when she was at full draw, about to shoot. Not leaving the line at this point is more a question of etiquette and consideration to the others. It does not excuse her behavior though; instead of blaming you it would be better if she just asked you not to leave the line when another archer is at full draw, just as a fellow archer did to me (TBH I usually does not pay attention to it and do not bother when others do it when I am at full draw.)

Cheers!
but in FITA the rule is you leave the line immediately after you have shot your last arrow!! So what's a boy to do?? I actually hate it when someone hovers on one foot waiting for me to finish the shot I'd much rather they just went - its when they're waiting that I notice them!! - and I feel like a prune if I pretent i'm scratching my nose when I'm waiting for the person in front or behind me finish a shot - it usually takes muuuuch longer than you'd ever think it would.

commissar

heres what you do
stand on shooting line and roll shoulders back and forth while taking great gulps of air
test string tention a few times
more shoulder rolling and breathing
place arrow on bow more breathing
take the shot
repeat above untill all arrows are shot
then this is the most important bit
leave the line whilst extending your arm and mid finger towards offending archer

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
If she was at full draw and you walked away then a quiet word and a mean quiet word to you and not everyone else about the etiquette of shooting (that is if you didn't know about it) would be fair...but you mention that she missed with 2 arrows.... so she could of politely said to you that it is okay to leave the line while she is getting ready to shoot the next arrow (or leave the line yourself) if you had finished your end.. as that is what I do, as I tend to take longer shooting than many others so wouldn't want them to wait especially "newbies" but having said that the people I shoot with wouldn't say the things "she" said.

Rude...very rude.

As the others have said, keep smiling and use that experience to focus on your arrows and make them good and true.

Good shooting.

Last edited:

Munsterman

I would remind her that while she is busy adding to her repetoire of excuses for missing the target, then she will forever be a loser! Different day - different excuse - same result. Meanwhile you will continue to improve and all the while you will be getting under her skin as she is mentally weak! Oh, dont forget to remind her every time you set your PB and thank her for softening up the boss for you just to niggle her a bit more!!

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
heres what you do
stand on shooting line and roll shoulders back and forth while taking great gulps of air
test string tention a few times
more shoulder rolling and breathing
place arrow on bow more breathing
take the shot
repeat above untill all arrows are shot
then this is the most important bit
leave the line whilst extending your arm and mid finger towards offending archer
lol........:thumbsup: