Limbs for use with the Samick Ultra Riser?

greygoose

Hi All,
If I am able to resume shooting I will require new limbs at a much lower poundage than previously used.
I would be extremely gratefull for any information of what makes and model of limbs others may have used in conjunction with the Samick Ultra Riser and how well they complemented each other. I.E. how they felt to shoot.
Those I have used myself in the past were Samick Masters which were very good and easy to tune and nice to shoot and Border CXB's which were much more difficult to tune to find the sweet spot with regard to noise and vibration but which were also very good once this was accomplished.
Any information on other pairings with both old or current limb types would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks.

Shirt

Well, OK - I'm shooting a Samick Ultra at the moment. Currently using Hoyt Vectors, I've also got a set of 990TXs kicking around, have used G3s in the past amongst others.

It's a riser, it takes ILF limbs, I haven't had any problems setting it up. I've always found that a good set of limbs is far more critical to ease of setup and shooting than the riser; my Codispoti carbon limbs were fast as hell and felt fantastic, but anything not quite right about the shot and you got smacked. So, IMO, as long as you pick a vaguely sensible pair of limbs you should be fine. Which is broadly what you've found before! :)

greygoose

Well, OK - I'm shooting a Samick Ultra at the moment. Currently using Hoyt Vectors, I've also got a set of 990TXs kicking around, have used G3s in the past amongst others.

It's a riser, it takes ILF limbs, I haven't had any problems setting it up. I've always found that a good set of limbs is far more critical to ease of setup and shooting than the riser; my Codispoti carbon limbs were fast as hell and felt fantastic, but anything not quite right about the shot and you got smacked. So, IMO, as long as you pick a vaguely sensible pair of limbs you should be fine. Which is broadly what you've found before! :)
Hi Shirt,
Thank you for your feedback.
Are you saying that all of the limbs you mention feel the same to shoot and are problem free to set up?
The reason I enquired was because of the difference I found between my original Samick Masters limbs and the Border CXB's which followed them. This experience has left me with the knowledge that, contrary to what common sense tells us, not all combinations of limb and riser work as well as we would hope. We all know that every bow feels different. I have found that it can not be assumed that every resonably good limb will work. It is because of this varience that I am trying to determine which limbs have been found to be the best for use with the Ultra riser. The other major reason for my enquiry is because of the many new limbs that have appeared in the market place since I last bought any equipment and about which I know nothing. A lot seems to have happened in two and a half years.
It may be of course that I am asking entirely the wrong question and that most pairings are in fact perfectly good. Perhaps I should be asking which, if any, are known to be not quite as good as others.
All further information gratefully recieved.
Regards

Shirt

My experience is the Hoyt stuff is fine, by reputation the Samick limbs are good too, but some of the more "niche" manufacturers might not work that well.

I tend towards Hoyt anyway so don't have a problem in that sense, though! :)

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
BUMP,
This must be a record.
24hrs without a response.
Regards
Hee hee! I couldn't decide which thread to answer, so I gave up and went to bed ;)

Just a thought from someone else who had to change poundage dramatically. I think Shirt has it dead right - a vaguely sensible pair is likely to be absolutely fine. I once had a pair of 26# Border TXB limbs and found them difficult to tune - and ultimately I was always disappointed with the performance compared to the cost. To be fair, someone else has them now and he seems to manage OK, so maybe just me?

Limbs I use regularly include Winact (28#), Vectors (26#), SF Carbon (22#) and Samick Privilege (20#) too. Apart from the Samicks, none of these were bought new. All of these get used in two different risers (Winact and Fiberbow). They all seem to tune OK. The 26# were good for 1st Class + scores at 70m, which exceeded my expectation. To me the real trick down in the little poundages, is to get the right arrows - as I found that the Easton chart tended to result in very stiff arrows unless you looked at the Youth chart, at least for A/C arrows anyway. Incidentally - Merlin Flames are great value in the Ally's, and come in 31" length for all the spines - worth knowing if you are experimenting.

I wouldn't overthink the limb issue tbh. I see Aards have a couple of pairs of Samick Vision in the s/h section that might suit what you were looking for in terms of length and weight.

greygoose

Hi Hooktonboy.
Thanks for the feedback.
Very informative.
I have now gone off the idea of Samick Athletes and Visions as I have read that they are made in China.
Regards.