Limbs - ???s = lbs?

tony08

Something I've noticed, whilst browsing through various catalogues, is that you can buy limbs up to 36lbs for a reasonable price, say ?85-ish. As soon as you look for anything above that, the price rockets to ?250-?350!

Why is that?

My old jelly bow was 35lbs, so I would anticipate that I'll soon feel easy with this weight again and be able to up it. I don't understand why archers are expected to shell out wads of dosh for what only amounts to a small increase in poundage???

Confused.

Tony

jeves

As far as i know limbs are the same price no matter what poundage e.g. The KAP Challenger limbs are ?85 and go from 24lb to 40lb.

Last edited by a moderator:

cornish george

Something I've noticed, whilst browsing through various catalogues, is that you can buy limbs up to 36lbs for a reasonable price, say ?85-ish. As soon as you look for anything above that, the price rockets to ?250-?350!

Why is that?

I don't understand why archers are expected to shell out wads of dosh for what only amounts to a small increase in poundage???

Confused.

Tony
Its not to do with the poundage so much as the construction of the limbs, lower priced (and poundage) limbs such as KAP Winstorm or Samick Universal will be Woodcore and Glassfibre, the higher poundage (and priced) limbs will be of Carbon/ Foam, this is where the expense comes from, the materials used to get the extra poundage, imho, seao.

tony08

Its not to do with the poundage so much as the construction of the limbs, lower priced (and poundage) limbs such as KAP Winstorm or Samick Universal will be Woodcore and Glassfibre, the higher poundage (and priced) limbs will be of Carbon/ Foam, this is where the expense comes from, the materials used to get the extra poundage, imho, seao.
Hi George,
I see where you're coming from but I figured the luxury end of the market would have weights to suit all, as would the middle & budget.
Perhaps I need to look again, as jeves says the KAP are available up to 40lbs

english_archer

Ironman
Something else to bear in mind is the tolerances in quailty and wheight with cheap limbs for example I had a pair of KAP evo 2 limbs rated at 36 pounds when measured with an Easton draw force mapper (fancy bow scales) they prove to actually be 40 pounds .My M1 limbs rated at 38 pounds are exactly 38 pounds ,A case of you get what you pay for I guess as these limbs are a good few hundred pounds apart in price. Oh and the M1s are a million times nicer to shoot with, worth every penny :beer: