loading the arrow onto the bow. RECURVE

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have seen quite a few different ways to load an arrow onto a recurve bow. Some are designed to make it easier for beginners to get that out of the way without too many arrows falling off.
Some are designed, it seems, to avoid the bow getting into the space of the archers on either side.
Is there a method of loading an arrow onto a bow that is considered "better", in the way it helps prepare the body posture prior to the draw?

chuffalump

I've read that the people who rest a limb tip on their foot and put the arrow on, while maintaining the whole torso angle to the target, are helping their form.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
When the tip is on my foot, the rest is WAY too low for comfortable, accurate, swift loading. My belly kinda gets in the way too.

So I load with the tip just below my knee, pretty much where it rests after release (No fancy-schmancy Korean twirling from THIS proud Brit!)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks both. I can see the bottom limb tip on or beside the front foot means the torso is in a nice position. I can also see how it could put the grip and rest too low for comfort or ease of use for some archers. Looking at this from another point of view could some loading methods be detrimental to their form?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Shooting barebow I find it a real pain having to hold the bow while placing the arrow and grip position. I am looking for a leather cup that I can hang from my belt and tie around my leg that will take the limb tip during this time. I'm sure I've seen these somewhere but cant find any in the UK. If I can't find one I will cut the end off a bow stringer.

Big George

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I rest the long rod on the ground (at an angle) when loading the arrow. Keeps the torso aligned but avoids having to stoop to reach the arrow rest (I?m a tall archer and even with a 72? bow resting the bottom tip on my foot I ended up bending at awkward angles to load the bow). I find it easy to then set my hands and raise to draw.

chuffalump

I've never used that technique myself. Personally I hold the grip at a comfortable height, lift the arrow out (field quiver, you know, the cool quiver 😁 ), let it slide down almost to the nock end in my hand, put the arrow tip first between the string and riser from the right and pull back into the nocking point. Then pivot onto rest.

As long as you dont start jumping around and having to realign your position on the line, I would have thought that any smooth method shouldn't interfere with form.

One of the annoyances of shooting compound was that I had to stop passing the arrow through the bow. Unless I wanted to end up like Spider-Man after a bad night on the booze.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
KidCurry.
I have seen those used by compounders too. They use similar things for marching and carrying heavy banners.
Big George, did you work out how you were most comfortable and stick with it, or did someone suggest that method?

jonUK76

I'm not sure it helps with posture as such, but the way I do it gives my arms a rest from holding the bow weight between shots (important I feel), quite quick and also takes up minimal space.

I rest the bottom limb on my foot so that takes the weight, bow pointed straight down range, nock the arrow on the string, lift the clicker and rotate the arrow underneath it onto the arrow rest. From there I set my grip and draw the bow just an inch or so to help the bow settle into my hand, then raise the bow and start the draw proper. I have a highish draw, dropping down. I try to do exactly the same thing each time including how I load the arrow etc.

Big George

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I was originally taught tip of bow on toe, reasons given were 1) stability when loading I.e. the bow doesn’t wave about the place as you try to get the arrow in place, and 2) safety, the arrow points down range. I’ve seen people hold the bow horizontally but that only really works if your the only one on the target.

I “progressed” from holding the bow vertically to it canted with the tip of the long rod on the ground as it caused me less contortions which meant I felt a lot more ready and comfortable to move to the draw phase. It wasn’t really suggested, more of it feeling more natural to me. Arrows point down range and the bow is stable as I load it. I’m still tweaking things in the set up phase, feedback from a club coach pointed out my elbow, hand, arrow had an angle which was causing my shoulder to be high when drawing. My draw routine now includes a step to align the elbow/hand/arrow before raising the bow.

Watching the archers at the Europeans over the past few days shows most seem to use the bow on foot method. Having started that way I’ve tried on and off to see it it gives me a better shot routine but I end up back to my current set up. I think it’s a case of what works for the archer within the bounds of safe shooting.

ben tarrow

when I shot olympic recurve, I had quite a long long rod and extension, so I stood my bow on the longrod (long rod vertical, bow horizontal) which took all the weight of the bow and put the bow in a position where I could load an arrow easily.
When I moved to barebow, I held the bow horizontally in front of me, bow arm completely bent with my elbow tucked in to my hip. Again, this relieved the bow mass weight with the bow in a position where it could easily be loaded

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Ben,
I can imagine the recurve with longrod on the ground. The barebow is confusing me. I can imagine the bow horizontal and the bent how arm. When you fit the arrow, is the arrow pointing up or away from you like beginners do?

ben tarrow

Hi Ben,
I can imagine the recurve with longrod on the ground. The barebow is confusing me. I can imagine the bow horizontal and the bent how arm. When you fit the arrow, is the arrow pointing up or away from you like beginners do?
with the bow infront of my chest, the arrow is vertical, point upwards

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers, Ben. Thought it best to check.
I wonder how many archers use a loading method because it's the one they were shown as a beginner? Or one they moved onto soon after.

ThomVis

I'm not sure it helps with posture as such, but the way I do it gives my arms a rest from holding the bow weight between shots (important I feel), quite quick and also takes up minimal space.

I rest the bottom limb on my foot so that takes the weight, bow pointed straight down range, nock the arrow on the string, lift the clicker and rotate the arrow underneath it onto the arrow rest.
This. Keeps me standing upright and having the weight of the bow not hanging on my arms.
Another popular one is where they have the bottom tip in between their legs, hanging the bow from the bow-arm, sliding the arrow point between clicker and riser and finally nocking the arrow to the string.

ThomVis

Both have their merits, yes?
Yes. And personal preference.
We teach bows-on-toes from the start, but for example field and 3D where conditions not always permit standing upright feet shoulder-width, with another tool in your toolbox you can adapt.
I can do both, but for shooting 70m 6 arrow ends I definitely prefer bow-on-toes, while others keep the bow hanging.