london olympics

daz650

Hi all i have a 13 year old son who shoots recurve to a good standard and at our club shoot he said he wants to shoot in the olympics, does anyone have any idea how to further his coaching so he could at least make the trials..

Regards Darren

not dead yet

Ironman
pm furface.

he should know .......hull. a bit back of beyond innit

no juniors in the london olympics....
he'll need 1275 + gents fita scores me thinks

pete

"he'll need 1275 + gents fita scores me thinks"

He'll need more than that to get to the olympics!!!!!!!!!.......

those might get him to the selection shoot, then 1330 FITA's & and 660 FITA 720's should see him on his way..IMHO

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
PS - you need to be prepared to drive him from one end of the country to the other to attend RS shoots.

inkystu

I thought you needed 2580 on a double fita star to be in with a chance for an invitation to the shoot offs!

Loomer

County squad is a good place to start. Dates for the Yorkshire squads, and application forms, _should_ be available from this weekend (Yorkshire champs) - as a minimum he'll have had to have had one competitive outdoor season.

Regular access to quality coaching will also be needed, contact your CCO (Kath Fitzpatrick - details on the YAA website) who'll be able to point you in the right direction.

As Trunkles said, be prepared for significant commitment, from both of you, him for the effort needed, you for the support and playing driver to all the competitions.

/realism on
As others have alluded to, a goal of shooting in the London Olympics may be unrealistic (given his age), but there is another one in 2016 (and 2020...)
/realism off

MrM

Hi all i have a 13 year old son who shoots recurve to a good standard and at our club shoot he said he wants to shoot in the olympics, does anyone have any idea how to further his coaching so he could at least make the trials..

Regards Darren
Are you taking him to the Junior Nationals in July? What sort of distances/rounds is he currently shooting?

Wendy

I am in a similar position however my 11yr old has decided that 2016 is her aim.....the only problem I see with her ambition will be teenage hormones (which any advice will always be gratefully received)!! We are very lucky in having excellent coaches at our club. As far as I understand it getting into the county squad is a good start and finding a coach who will teach him good technique and who he will listen to when the weather is bad.........wish him well and good luck with the travelling.

daz650

thanks wendy i told him 2016 would be the best to aim for but he said london so i will back him all i can and travel as far as i have too. personally i can't see london but who knows. you never know wendy they may end up on shooting together in 2016..

Regards Daz

Wendy

It is nice to here of someone else with an ambitious youngster so hope to see you at tournements in the future......

daz650

i lose track of he's scores chris he just seems to nail everything he was shooting compound up until 4 months ago and was scoring as well as the adults. we did a in club york he scored 1020 which beat most of the adults and me so he was grounded lol

not dead yet

Ironman
daz matey...

something you may have forgotten if he's 13 now . he will be 16 in 2012. which means GCSE's.

you need GCSE's for refuse collecting these days...

good luck whatever you decide.

pete

Stumpgrinder

Daz,
Don't worry too much about the GCSE's, any kid with the dedication to achieve olympic selection is unlikley to underachieve with their education.
Wish you all the luck.
Si.

daz650

cheers Si schooling is very important to my son at the moment he's doing well in both because he knows if his education drops so does his archery.so he's working well at both...

Regards Daz

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
why worry about qualifying scores when you can just get a coaches wild card.

sounds like he is doing very well though and should definitely be hitting some big scores by that time