[English Longbow] Longbow Archers Shooting Head2Head

AntiqueArcher

Unless I am much mistaken (which is more than possible)

a) FITA 18 National Champs are shot under FITA Rules which does not recognise Longbow as a valid style, so you would have been classified (for World Record claims at least) as a Recurve and there are NO points of aim allowed on the floor for Recurve under FITA. The fact you were shooting in a Longbow category would have been done by the Tournament Organiser purely for awarding prizes from GNAS.

b) Points of aim are only allowed under GNAS Rules, so a GNAS Record Status Portsmouth would allow them.

At least I think thats right.....
Hi BB.

Interesting point. I did try to check the details set out on the entry form but of course, the one time you don't want a quick, efficient GNAS.......

I wanted to look something up. I seem to remember the wording on the form went something like "the FITA 18 round will be shot under GNAS and FITA rules". I'm not sure though so would need to see another copy.

I don't wish to enter into an arguement, but I'm sure you cannot be completely correct as this one individual KNOWS the rules and would have dearly loved to make me remove the offending article. Further, that would mean any Longbow archer at Ladies or Gent's Fita would not be allowed to use them.

Your point is based around World Record Status. Longbows do not enter as World Record Status as you say. We can, but only as a recurve. If you look at the results, two new National records were set (in the 12 arrow pass) by Longbow archers, therefore we must be shooting to those rules at least.

Interesting point though. Perhaps we'll just have to beat a few Recurves in H2H this year to put the cat among the pigeons. Hehe!

AA

steve58

Been experimenting with POA in the back yard, I am hoping I might be able to use this for an entire York and wanted to see whether I had the discipline to look at the POA rather than what I was trying to hit...

Went OK on a blank boss, getting some good groups and the shots seemed faster and cleaner off the bow (why on earth would this be?). Put a face on the boss in about the right place and remembered how hard it is to ignore it!

Worth persevering with, when it goes well the groups are very good and I think my POA would be around the bottom of the target legs at 60Y, so no need for a marker. I'd still use the band for Westerns and so on though (and for indoors).

BeardedBowman

Hi BB.

Further, that would mean any Longbow archer at Ladies or Gent's Fita would not be allowed to use them.

AA
Not strictly true AA old bean....

People often get confused by what is known as a FITA round (Gents or Ladies). Strictly speaking it is only a FITA round if shot under full FITA Rules, we in GNAS should really give it a different name as we use a different set of Rules when shooting the same number of arrows over the same distances. Perhaps it should be called the Gents and Ladies Metric Round when shot under GNAS Rules...

So my point about the POA not being allowed when shot under FITA Rules and the POA being allowed when shot under GNAS Rules is correct.

AntiqueArcher

Not strictly true AA old bean....

People often get confused by what is known as a FITA round (Gents or Ladies). Strictly speaking it is only a FITA round if shot under full FITA Rules, we in GNAS should really give it a different name as we use a different set of Rules when shooting the same number of arrows over the same distances. Perhaps it should be called the Gents and Ladies Metric Round when shot under GNAS Rules...

So my point about the POA not being allowed when shot under FITA Rules and the POA being allowed when shot under GNAS Rules is correct.
BB,

As I tried (obviously not hard enough) to point out clearly, as far as I'm aware the longbow archers were not shooting under FITA rules. If there is misunderstanding concerning GNAS/FITA rules, shoots, distances or anything else, the answer is quite simple-for most anyway;

Don't allow our GNAS to bend so far towards being seen as FITA friendly that it is no longer easily destinguishable from FITA. At the same time those of you within GNAS should work harder on our behalf to ensure we understand more. Communication has long been the organisations problem, perhaps a good place to start.

If our government wants elite archers to win medals, they should fund an organisation. Take the elite archers who would be likely to represent their country. Train them, subsidise them and support them. Don't expect the general membership of GNAS to do it for them ( on the whole). Many of us still have to work hard just to find somewhere to shoot. Even the basics are a struggle.

If there isn't the money to provide a trophy at a County Championship event, for one of the major bowstyles, how can our national society justify the expenditure on politically motivated ambitions?

There is to much time and energy already given to overly officious organisers and rule makers who just like the sound of their own superior voices. Once considered an expert, an expert is unable to learn more as they cannot ever be seen to not already know the answers. These people should climb down from their Ivory towers and meet the rest of the human race from time to time!

AA

AA