[English Longbow] Longbow for competition

johno1642

Can anbody please advise me on the rules on type of longbow aloud in competition and where to get one. I am a bit unsure having looked on various sites and seeing wording such as semi longbow. Is this type of bow aloud.

Flying Whale

Can anbody please advise me on the rules on type of longbow aloud in competition and where to get one. I am a bit unsure having looked on various sites and seeing wording such as semi longbow. Is this type of bow aloud.
It would help if you could say what sort of competition you might want to compete in. There are a number of organisations with somewhat differeing rules (GNAS, NFA?, EFAA). Field, clout or target?

I probably still won't be able to answer your questions, but with more information the more knowledgable amongst us will.

steve58

Verily GNAS in their wisdom define a longbow as follows:

206. Longbow
(a) Bow. The bow shall be the traditional longbow made from wood, either ?self?, ?backed?,
or ?laminated? with cambered (stacked) belly and horn nocks. With the exception of the
?self? bow, each limb of the bow shall form a single simple curve from the handle to the
nock when at full draw. The bow shall be not less than five feet in length for an arrow of
less than 27 inches and; not less than five feet six inches in length for a 27? or longer
arrow, this being measured along the back between the string nocks. At no point shall
the depth of the bow, measured from back to belly, be less than 5/8 (five eighths) of the
width of the bow at the same section. The bow may carry no support for the arrow.
Bows of bamboo, constructed in conformity with the above, shall be permitted.
(b) String. Strings may be of either natural or man-made substance, and may, if desired,
embody a ?kisser? at any point as required to facilitate a consistent draw position, but for
no other purpose.
(c) Sights and Points of Aim. Sights, as such, are not permitted but one of the following
may be used:
(i) Marks on the bow limb.
(ii) Rubber bands of no more than 1/8? in depth and thickness.
(iii) Artificial points of aim on the ground, provided they do not exceed a height from
the ground of 6 inches or a diameter of 3 inches nor impede any other archer.
(d) Arrows. Arrows shall have wooden steles (shafts), shall be fitted with feather fletchings,
and may have either horn-reinforced, self or applied nocks. There is no limit to the
maximum shaft diameter. Piles shall not exceed the diameter of the shaft at the point of
fitment. Shouldered piles, whilst not disallowed, should be avoided because of excess
damage to targets. Arrows shall be properly marked, so that there shall be no difficulty
in claiming them.
(e) Hand Protection
(i) Finger protection in the form of finger stalls or tips, gloves, or shooting tab or tape
(plaster) to draw, hold back and release the string is permitted, provided that such
protection does not incorporate any device to hold, draw and release the string.
(ii) A separator between the fingers to prevent pinching the arrow and/or a platform
tab may be used. An extension so as to provide a greater angle, prior to release,
other than that achieved by the use of a normal tab, glove or other form of finger
protection, is not permitted.
(iii) On the bow hand an ordinary glove, mitten or similar item may be worn but shall
not be attached to the grip.

And yet I say unto you that also BLBS (and doubtless all other societies, world without end) have their own word of wisdom on this matter, with most subtle and learned differences, so beware of excessive lamination lest it cause mutterings of discontent causing your ejection from a shoot!

gwynn

And this is the NFAS Longbow spec....... big difference is no sighting aids [as Daniel pointed out, same as GNAS field]

Longbow (LB)
The bow must be of wood only, straight-limbed and of "D" section with nocks of self nature or made of horn, wood or plastic and must be free of stabilisers, sights, arrow-rests or cut-aways for the arrow to rest on. Arrows must be of wood fletched with natural feather but plastic nocks and metal piles may be used. Only the "Mediterranean" loose is permitted. No form of arrow-rest may be attached to the side of the bow. Bows must be free from any sight, mark or blemish which could be used for aiming. The belly or face of the upper bow limb shall be free from any protuberance, mark (inc. trade mark), dent, blemish, bulge, chipping or wood grain or ends of laminated pieces of distinctive appearance. Where means are used to cover up such an aid, the covering must obliterate completely and not be put on in such a way as to create an aid in itself. Nor shall there by any such aid visible at either side of the belly face. The bowstring may be of different colours as long as they run continuously and evenly throughout the string's length, but the serving shall be of one colour. One nocking point is permitted. Brush buttons and string silencers are permitted but no other knots or attachments in addition to the serving which could be of use for sighting or location purposes. One anchor point must be maintained throughout the shoot. No draw-checks of any kind are permitted. No archer may refer to any memoranda which could in any manner be a means of improving his or her score. No form of release aid is permitted. Finger protection, such as a shooting glove or tab, may be used.
("Mediterranean loose" means one finger above and the middle and ring fingers below the arrow-nock.)