[English Longbow] Longbow - How soon after beginners?

Grum

Ok finished my beginners course a few weeks ago, went through it shooting a recurve barebow, thoroughly enjoying it. Since being a child I've fancied trying longbow and it's my final goal. Sorry if the next bits appear like some random thoughts...

If I buy a low end recurve (say a KAP winstar II) I can exhcange limbs to build the weight I am shooting. The winstar has reputation for being surprisngly good for it's price, and it will be cheaper to buy then most of the 'classic' level longbows. I am also not sure about the idea of using a longbow indoors during the winter.

Given I can't afford two bows, do I buy something like the winstar, and build my draw weight and technique for a year before shooting a longbow? Do I jump in with both feet and buy a long bow at the lower end of the weight range (40-45lb?), and just shoot outdoors? I'm pretty strong from other sports even in the traps (rowing / kayaking) so 40-45lb may not be that much over-bowed?

SO there's my random thoughts, feedback welcome!

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I'd say go straight for the longbow. You can go a good 10 or 15 pounds heavier with longbow than recurve, because the shot cycle is so much shorter - there's less holding at full draw.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
If traditional style archery is the thing for you, there is always going to be a first time to try it. English Longbows are stick that is waiting to snap, but if you accept that, they're often for sale on Fleebay where you maybe able to buy a low poundage bow to learn on before spending loads of hard earned on a more powerful or tailor made bows. My wife Shewolf did this and started her ELB shooting indoors and now shoots it better than her Recurve, which she tried again last Sunday.

alanesq

I agree - get yourself a cheap longbow and have fun with it (that after all is what archery is all about)

you can get one for under ?100

stickman

Hi - I went straight from club bows on the trainig course to a longbow (4 years ago now) and didn't look back!
I bought a 50lb bow 3rd hand from another club member (so it was cheap) and shot it for a year until it broke! But it didn't owe me anything and now I have 6 other bows to play with. So I would say, go for a reasonably cheap longbow and have some fun! And if you make your own arrows then that'll save a bit of money as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Flying Dutchman

I just started with archery too! After some hesitations and extensive test-driving I bought myself a longbow right away. It is the only type of bow which feels natural for me. We belong to each other so to say. As for weight: I decided to buy a 35 lbs, because I wanted not to start to heavy. But, what is the case: the actual drawing weight (we measured it) is 38,5 lbs at 28 inch. By now I'm pulling close to 30 inch. So this puts an actual 42,5 on the scale. I have no problems in pulling it. I bought a fairly expensive one: ? 458,-. But she shoots like a dream! Fast, sweet and accurate.
And yeah, build your own arrows! I buy my cedar shafts, fletches, points and so on and put it self together. It's a lot cheaper indeed! I did a lot of investigation about how to tune your arrows for your bow. So by now my arrows are a lot better then those you buy ready.

And get yourself a trainer! Your attitude is very important and it is very hard to find this out alone. When I got myself a trainer, I quickley became better and better.

As for accuracy: Last weekend I had a National 3D tournament in the woods. This lasted two days and had 4 rounds. It was my first competiton. To my surprise I became second in my division (longbow). I also had much more points then most recurve shooters!

So I haven't regretted my decision a single moment!

Grum

Thanks for allthe replies, I've been trawling ebay and looking out for a second hand bow.

Don't appear to be many new or second hand that are tillered for long draws (31") any one else had that as an issue

alanesq

I always recommend one of these for a first longbow
longbows

they will draw to 32", I have had one for 2 years and its still going strong, its a true self bow so very traditional and for ?85 you just cant go wrong

eeyore

Don't be tempted by a second-hand longbow. Have one made for you/get an appropriate one off the shelf. I learnt to shoot on a Barnet fibre glass bow (26lb) and did a beginners course at my club (30lb) and went straight in with a Bickerstaffe deluxe 46lb longbow which I am still using 4 years later. Don't use my figures but trust me you can shoot a far heavier longbow than recurve. Join a club and take as much advice from the trad archers as you can absorb.

cloutman360

Ok finished my beginners course a few weeks ago, went through it shooting a recurve barebow, thoroughly enjoying it. Since being a child I've fancied trying longbow and it's my final goal. Sorry if the next bits appear like some random thoughts...

If I buy a low end recurve (say a KAP winstar II) I can exhcange limbs to build the weight I am shooting. The winstar has reputation for being surprisngly good for it's price, and it will be cheaper to buy then most of the 'classic' level longbows. I am also not sure about the idea of using a longbow indoors during the winter.

Given I can't afford two bows, do I buy something like the winstar, and build my draw weight and technique for a year before shooting a longbow? Do I jump in with both feet and buy a long bow at the lower end of the weight range (40-45lb?), and just shoot outdoors? I'm pretty strong from other sports even in the traps (rowing / kayaking) so 40-45lb may not be that much over-bowed?

SO there's my random thoughts, feedback welcome!
If your on a budget and can only afford one bow which you plan to use often
to learn how to shoot, it's hard to see why Longbow is the recommendation.