Longbows in record status comps

Corax67

I have heard contradictory information over the course of the last couple of months about longbow usage in record status competitions.

My intention later this year is to shoot a lot of longbow, particularly in inter-club comp but also a bit further afield - I have management approval for a new longbow for just this purpose.

Now here is my query:

My current longbow references point on boss at 60yds, my new bow will be chosen to reference point on boss at 100yds. Ideally, if I shoot a round like a York at 100, 80 & 60 yds I would like to use the new bow for the first two distances then my current bow for the third set rather than hunting for a blade of grass as my aiming point with the faster bow.

Is the changing of equipment in this way during a round permissible? I have been told that in competitions it is as longbow archers tend to be very laid back fellows and not to mind about such things but I've also been told by other people that in a record status shoot you have to use the same kit, arrows and bow, for the duration of the round.

I cannot seem to find anything on the web but then I may be looking in entirely the wrong places - so what is the consensus of opinion chaps?

Karl

Mark31121

Ironman
I have heard contradictory information over the course of the last couple of months about longbow usage in record status competitions.

My intention later this year is to shoot a lot of longbow, particularly in inter-club comp but also a bit further afield - I have management approval for a new longbow for just this purpose.

Now here is my query:

My current longbow references point on boss at 60yds, my new bow will be chosen to reference point on boss at 100yds. Ideally, if I shoot a round like a York at 100, 80 & 60 yds I would like to use the new bow for the first two distances then my current bow for the third set rather than hunting for a blade of grass as my aiming point with the faster bow.

Is the changing of equipment in this way during a round permissible? I have been told that in competitions it is as longbow archers tend to be very laid back fellows and not to mind about such things but I've also been told by other people that in a record status shoot you have to use the same kit, arrows and bow, for the duration of the round.

I cannot seem to find anything on the web but then I may be looking in entirely the wrong places - so what is the consensus of opinion chaps?

Karl
It's not a problem to swap equipment part way through a round, as long as the arrows you're shooting each end are matched. You would have to get both sets verified at any equipment checks.

I once checked with a judge if I could do this with my recurve if necessary (swap to my indoor setup for the end of a RS FITA) and he said it was fine. I didn't need to as my dodgy wrist held out, but it was a nice reassurance. It's not uncommon to see someone with two longbows on these shoots.

Did you tell the management that you'd need another set of arrows as well? Or are you waiting til you get the new bow first and going "well, now that I have this new bow...."

Corax67

Thanks Mark,

management does indeed know a new set of arrows will be part of the purchase but she doesn't mind as I only broke one all last year plus they are a lot cheaper than carbons for my recurve setup.

Karl

Mark31121

Ironman
in this context, what do you mean by matched
Fletching and nock colours, I think there's something in the rules about cresting as well.

For target I'm assuming spine and weight match is a good plan, I only really use longbow for flight so mine are a deliberate miss-match of spines.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Yes and it is VERY common for longbow archer to use a number of bows and arrow sets throughout a shoot. Each will have to be inspected (which isn't a hardship as the ones I've been to you string them go, "here is my stick and my little sticks and glove/tab". Judge nods looks to see that you have 0-1 band (can't have more than 1) and says "off you go".

Yew Selfbow

There's no requirement to have long bow arrows matched under GNAS rules. The only requirement is the arrows are marked to identify the archer

Harold's EyeIt wasn't me

Fonz Awardee
Mark

I can understand where you are coming from but the rule "All arrows used in any end shall be identical and shall carry the same pattern and colour(s) of fletching, nocks and cresting, if any" is included in the Recurve section but does not appear to be included under the Longbow section of the equipment rules.

Mark31121

Ironman
That's a new one on me, I'll remember that for my flight arrows as it'll make identifying the different spines/materials easier

it's odd that for a flat bow they have to be matched, which is probably where I made the assumption from - I looked at it the other week as we have a couple of newish archers shooting those fake-wooden carbons from their AFB's so I lumped them with the barebow for our club competition.