[Horsebow] Low cost Horsebow?

Riceburner

So, whilst I'm enjoying my 60Lb Samick Mind50 enormously, I've been finding that the 50" length does contribute significantly to "finger pinch" at full draw.

So I've made myself a thumbring and intend to get used to this method. :) (actually it's more of a "thumb-tab" without a notch, so, as I understand it, I'm still eligible for the relevant GNAS & NFAS standards as before).

The main issue so far (I've not actually shot with the thumb-tab yet), is that the 60lb draw is far more than my thumb is used to, and it hurts like hell, without even reaching full draw!

So I'm thinking of buying a low-weight (25-35lb) bow, and was looking for recommendations for a nice, traditional Hungarian / Mongol short horsebow, but within a reasonable budget of under ?125. Does such a thing exist? Ever Grozer / Kaya I've found so far is over that budget.

The low budget is because the bow is, in effect, to be an intermediary / training tool to get my thumb used to the release method.

Any advice or suggestions?

philhoney

That looks rather nice!
Hi,
A few more details. The only wood on the bow are the grip and the siyahs. The limbs are glass fibre but are covered with laced up leather.
The bow took about 8 days for delivery with tracking once it entered the UK. No problem with customs.
Phil

Riceburner

Hi,
A few more details. The only wood on the bow are the grip and the siyahs. The limbs are glass fibre but are covered with laced up leather.
The bow took about 8 days for delivery with tracking once it entered the UK. No problem with customs.
Phil
Ah, interesting.

Do you know what category (GNAS/NFAS) it qualifies for? (I can never figure it out when the question of materials comes into play).

philhoney

Ah, interesting.

Do you know what category (GNAS/NFAS) it qualifies for? (I can never figure it out when the question of materials comes into play).
Hi,
Sorry no. I bought the bow for my grandaughter and she shoots alongside everyone else in the club. No proper comps.
Phil

Riceburner

Hi,
Sorry no. I bought the bow for my grandaughter and she shoots alongside everyone else in the club. No proper comps.
Phil
ok, no worries.

How far back will it draw? Would you say it would handle a 32 - 33" draw? (ie right back to the ear of a full grown?)

ChakaZulu

I've got one almost identical to this: Hungarian Horsebow "Ogaden" 20 to 55 lbs - NEW BOW! | eBay
Mine is described as a Persian rather than Hungarian but the only difference I can see is that mine is wrapped in suede rather than leather (back with red laces). It's a nice enough bow if you like that sort of thing but I don't like the rigid siyahs so could be persuaded to sell if you're interested. It's a 35lb. I've shot it twice and the only sign of use is that the small wooden arrow pass on the right hand side has come off, which makes no difference that I can see.

pm me if you're interested

Dan

philhoney

ok, no worries.

How far back will it draw? Would you say it would handle a 32 - 33" draw? (ie right back to the ear of a full grown?)
Hi,
It does say 32ins in the description but as it is only 50ins long I think that would be the limit.
Phil

Riceburner

I've got one almost identical to this: Hungarian Horsebow "Ogaden" 20 to 55 lbs - NEW BOW! | eBay
Mine is described as a Persian rather than Hungarian but the only difference I can see is that mine is wrapped in suede rather than leather (back with red laces). It's a nice enough bow if you like that sort of thing but I don't like the rigid siyahs so could be persuaded to sell if you're interested. It's a 35lb. I've shot it twice and the only sign of use is that the small wooden arrow pass on the right hand side has come off, which makes no difference that I can see.

pm me if you're interested

Dan
Cheers Dan, I'll have a good think about that. I was considering getting a very light bow, so that I can potentially let my better half have a go with something she's not going to be over-powered by, she's currently an archery-sceptic. Will get back to you!

Riceburner

OK - so I've been looking at a lot of bows online, and on virtually all of the lower weight horsebow they're warning that max drawlength is 26-28". This is on the 'cheap' 20-25# bows (less than ?150, as opposed to the ?200+ "normal" horsebows).

this concerns me - as I'm intending to buy a nice light bow to practise drawing with my thumb - which tends to mean a much longer draw. I don't particularly want to buy one of these bows and have it snap the first time I use it!

Phil - have you drawn the bow you bought right back?

philhoney

Hi,
I'm only 5ft 2ins so about 24 ins is my limit but one of our members who is over 6ft did give it a try and drew it back to his normal anchor point with no problems.
Phil

DavidH

I bought one of the low cost bows from Ebay, and I'm delighted. It gets its first outing at the weekend. For the price (I paid ?36 + ?20 postage) its exceptional value. If its only glass under the leather, I don't really care. I have no intention of taking the leather off so I'll never know, but I presume someone has. I presumed it was wood backed with glass.

PVC bows? ughh!