Magnocks

Doc_Haynes

I've been tempted to get these for some time now, but could not find anyone shooting with them in my locality. I've read all the sales blurb for them, visited the Magnock website and forum but would like to seek the views, both pro and con of those who've actually used them.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">I must say they do look very tempting if the slow-motion video is anything to go by. Are they only suitable for compound?</font>

Archery1st

Doc_Haynes - 13/4/2005 8:14 PM I've been tempted to get these for some time now, but could not find anyone shooting with them in my locality. I've read all the sales blurb for them, visited the Magnock website and forum but would like to seek the views, both pro and con of those who've actually used them.
</p>

Hi Doc_Haynes? well as you know I shoot them, and have done since they first were produced.? As you said in a different post you have seen my resume, well ALL my best scores and placing were done with Magnock fitted.? I have also done back to back testing one bow set up with Magnocks and another with regular nocks and in all cases Magnocks have produced at least the same results and in most an improvement, both in and outdoors.</p>

Firstly if you shoot compound then these will work for you, however if you shoot recurve, although I have tested them and they work FITA decided that they can not be used.</p>

As you have seen the Magnock site you have at least started to understand the concept and its advertised gains, cleaner release, easier tuning, allow larger range of arrow spines to tune, closing distance gaps through cleaner release etc... but as you've read the site you already know these :)? OK downside, there can be an increase in string vibration and maybe a buzz sound?due to the weight of the receiver tied to the string, there is a slight speed loss as the arrow leave the bow again due to weight of the receiver, these are the normal 2 issues some have.</p>

There is one other item which you would have to accept, you will get many many people asking what is it, how does it work and why are you using it... if you don't mind this then alls well.? There are some who say they either don't like it or that it doesn't work, well the same can be said about anything, bows, arrows, sights etc</p>

There are several users throughout the UK, shooting target, field and 3D, and all have said they are very impressed with the gains found.? I will not say that this is for everyone, its all down to personal feelings, but if you gave the system a proper try, re tuned the bow then I'm sure you will find that they really do work.</p>

If I can help please ask, I'm not sure where you are based but you can find Magnocks at some shops over here (Quicks and Centre Shot are the two main ones i know off hand)</p>

Doc_Haynes

Thanks Archery1st - very useful. One question for you if you don't mind. The tab that fits into the groove of the receiver, does this have any effect, especially in windy conditions, of the arrow's flight? It appears to be quite large.

I shoot Compound for the Bowmen of Pendle and Samlesbury and the club is based just outside Preston and our local archery shop Archery World does not currently stock them. So I'll have to get them from Quicks, although I believe Clickers in your locality stock them also.

Doc_Haynes

Hi Archery1st - please ignore my previous post. I've just been back to the Magnock site and discovered your testimonial, which answers my question admirably. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order some. Just been to the Clickers Archery site and they no longer appear to do them - it's where I first discovered their (Magnocks) existence.

Dave another good reason for transferring to the 'dark side' ;)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">No! No! not the darkside!!!!! I've just spent too much money on a new recurve to be tempted. Although if I was, I think it'd be Magnocks that convinced me :) Why do FITA always take the fun out of archery? ;)</font>

Archery1st

The tab you mention does not in anyway affect the flight, we have done testing in the early day at the PSE factory, including high speed spin tests for balance, smoke/wind tunnel.</p>

However due to quite a few compounder's who shoot off the fingers noted that they did get some finger contact with this tab, so on the last run of nocks (new Smoke and the Mountain Dew colour, light florescent yellow to us) have smaller curved tabs which are now level with the receiver, about 1/2 the original height.</p>

Archery1st

Dave - 13/4/2005 11:47 PM <font size="2">No! No! not the darkside!!!!! I've just spent too much money on a new recurve to be tempted. Although if I was, I think it'd be Magnocks that convinced me :) Why do FITA always take the fun out of archery? ;)</font>
</p>

Dave good on you getting a new recurve, now why not get a compound as well, you know Vittorio has stated that he feels a compound is one of the best ever training tools available to recurvers :) oh and hitting the 10 a little more often is very pleasing :p</p>

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">
Archery1st - 13/4/2005 11:53 PM </font>

<font size="2">
Dave - 13/4/2005 11:47 PM No! No! not the darkside!!!!! I've just spent too much money on a new recurve to be tempted. Although if I was, I think it'd be Magnocks that convinced me :) Why do FITA always take the fun out of archery? ;)
</font></p>

<font size="2">Dave good on you getting a new recurve, now why not get a compound as well, you know Vittorio has stated that he feels a compound is one of the best ever training tools available to recurvers :) oh and hitting the 10 a little more often is very pleasing :p</font></p>

<font size="2">
</font> </p>

<font size="2">I'd love to get a new compound but unfortunately the only?choice was a new recurve and a new baby :)</font></p>

Doc_Haynes

Archery1st thanks for your time and advice. I ordered a set from Quicks last night - I'll let you know how I get on with them.