Measuring string length?

Hudzi93

Hi, I'm thinking of ordering a string from Ryan Jeavons @ TwistedStrings but I'm not sure as to how I would go about measuring the string exactly. On their website it says to measure the string from tip to tip. Is the measurement taken with the string on or off the bow? If its measured off the bow then do you have to measure it under tension and how far do you stretch the end loops out?

It seems that there are so many variables and I don't want to end up ordering the wrong string length. Any advice would be really helpful, especially from people who have bought strings from Ryan before.

Thanks

Bald Eagle

Put it on your bow at the correct bracing height and measure it. Tell them that is the length "twisted", that should suffice!!

Hudzi93

Would the string maker be able to translate that to actual string length though as the string curves over at the limb tips and all bows are different.

Strandline

Maybe Ryan Jeavons would know? Send them an email and ask - that way you can be sure of getting the right answer.

grimsby archer

Put it on your bow at the correct bracing height and measure it. Tell them that is the length "twisted", that should suffice!!
BE is quite right, but maybe the OP has missed the simplicity of the statement.
The string length is the string length. So if you have a string that fits your bow correctly, measure it. couldnt be simpler

Hudzi93

I sent Ryan a few emails a while back and one of the emails was regarding this. Although he replied to the other questions in that email he didn't answer that one. It's possible that he missed it.

So are you guys saying that I should measure it whilst on the bow?

Bald Eagle

Yes! Use a flexible tape measure to go round the limbs. Some limbs, like Border, have a greater reflex on the limb than oters, this way you'll get a more accurate reading for YOUR limbs

grimsby archer

why does it need to be on the bow?
The string doesnt change length when you string the bow.
If your arms arent a convenient length to reach both ends at once, just stick one end on a hook or a suitable spouses finger, with a tape measure (I use a builders b&q retractable steel tape) and measure the length from loop to loop.
Unless I've missed something in 30+ years of string making, its not rocket sci.

Hudzi93

why does it need to be on the bow?
The string doesnt change length when you string the bow.
If your arms arent a convenient length to reach both ends at once, just stick one end on a hook or a suitable spouses finger, with a tape measure (I use a builders b&q retractable steel tape) and measure the length from loop to loop.
Unless I've missed something in 30+ years of string making, its not rocket sci.
Yes but it's not as simple as you make it out though. I need to know how stretched out the loops need to be. I've read somewhere that they should have a 1/4" diameter and to measure from the inside of the loops. Also, I could leave the loops as they are when the string comes off the bow, but I don't know if that's the right way to do it.

grimsby archer

interesting document, but does it allow for the diameter of the string jig post?

Certainly when I make a string, I measure the length of the string, then set my string jig posts to that measurement outside edge to outside edge. Its never failed me yet.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'm trying to imagine measuring a string on a bow, and thinking it would be a lot easier to have the string straight.Pulling it tight over a hook will get it straight and get the kinks out at the same time.Putting your finger through the loop to pull it, will mimic the limb tip diameter fairly well, too.
I think any inaccuracies are more likely to result from not stating whether the measurements were taken with a twisted or untwisted string.

Hudzi93

I did manage to get in touch with him again and he said that its best if I have the loops at 5mm diameter when I measure the string as that's the diameter of his posts.