[Horsebow] Mongolian Horsebow (draw weight)

antcjones

Hi all,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on an Asiatic recurve in the style of a Mongolian horsebow.
I shoot a standard recurve bow, its 70? with 36lb limbs and my draw length is approx 30?. I would think I?m drawing around the 40lb mark with this bow, which is about my limit at this time.
I?m looking for a bow with a more traditional feel, as I quite like bare bow shooting.
From what I have read and been told, this style of bow is easier to draw by comparison.
This brings me to my question: surely if both bows were rated 36lb at 28? and they were both drawn to 28? you would be holding the same weight even if the Mongolian got there easier. Therefore if I were to purchase one of these bows I would think that it would be sensible to go for a similar weight to my recurve bow?
The problem I have is that I can only get my hands on light poundage versions to try (18-20lb); they are like children?s toys to draw, so I wouldn?t like to make a comparison from this.

I would appreciate any input on this subject.

Thanks

Insanity-Rocks

It really depends on the bow, the longer it is the smoother it is to draw, you could struggle with a 35# short horsebow, and pull a 45# long horsebow with ease, but the longer it is the slower it'll be. I'd say go for a mid sized bow somewhere between 35 and 40# and you'll be fine, unless you can make it to a shop where you can try them out for yourself.

It depends on how you want to shoot it as well, if you'll be shooting it as a barebow follow what I've said above, but if you'll be drawing it with a thumb ring it'll be harder to draw, and if you draw it to the ear rather than your face it'll be harder again, meaning you'd need around a 30# bow to feel comfortable.

Good luck with it :)

antcjones

Thanks for the advice, it sounds sensible enough. I will probably be drawing to the corner of my mouth as with my recurve, when unsighted. I tried the thumb ring technique just out of interest, its all wrong for me I think...well for the time being anyhow.
Thanks for the reply

antcjones

Had a quick scan of the horsebow forum on here. It is interesting that some say they can draw a horsebow as much as 15lb draw weight more than a recurve with the same feel. Also interesting is that some young children can draw a horsebow of approx 35lb draw weight. I can appreciate that the siyah's act as a primitive cam like on a modern compound, but surely the full weight is held be the archer or is there some sort of let off. confused, the mind boggles ???????

BillM

My experience is between the recurve I mostly shoot, longbow shot occasionally and the Hungarian Scythian bow I use at the field course once or twice a week. My draw length is 28" but was assured that I would most likely draw an inch less with the longbow due to not holding at full draw for the same length of time I need with the recurve to get the scapula in the right position. In other words, aim - draw to chin/nose - aim- loose. I use the same technique with the scythian bow. The poundages are 40# (rec); 48# (LB) & 52# (scy). The longbow feels heavier than the recurve but the scythian does not feel any heavier to draw than the longbow (and I wouldn't want to hold that at full draw for long). This is possibly due to the shape and length of the bow which seems to have some 'drop-off' the longer you pull it. Some other people who shoot horsebow say the same. The best advice I can offer is to try before you commit to buying one - I did and that is why I knew I could pull a 52# horsebow.

BillM

DavidH

It all depends how long you hold the draw, longbows and horesbows are usually released after a couple of seconds, Certainly for longbows you can add at least 10# to your recurve poundage. I have a 50# longbow and a 45# horsebow

antcjones

Thanks for your comments BillM and DavidH. Sounds like I can go up a few pounds on the draw weight then, food for thought. Keep the comments coming please.

ps. Hi Milly (Insanity-Rocks), just occured to me who you are. duh, bit slow last night you going to the frostbite shoot?

Insanity-Rocks

What frostbite? :S I must be having a slow day 'cause I can't for the life of me work out who you are from your username :boggled:

Insanity-Rocks

Oh, hello! Do you know what date you're back down hawthorn? Can't wait to get some long range practice in!

Any gnas member can shoot at pentref for ?3.50 a night, if you wanted to pop up on a wednesday or thursday (club night starts at 7) I can bring my 30lbs and 40lbs horsebow for you to try if you like, just let me know the date :)

I'm off to fonmon for an IFAA shoot that day, have fun though.

antcjones

Sounds like a plan, I have been fancying popping over for a visit. On nights this week, may at a push be able to make Thursday (it will be a squeeze). I hear you may be down to see us if Richard gets hold of you, we are now in the bigger hall upstairs. Love to check out the horsebows; missed them last time you had them, think you were demo'ing the compound. Not sure what date we go outside again. Been in contact with a guy from Hungary to make me a Mongolian, want to be sure of draw weight before he gets cracking. Drawing against a scale earlier: got 68lb for the max, like I say 40lb on my recurve is comfortable for a nights shooting.

Insanity-Rocks

Pop over anytime, make sure to bring your gnas card though just in case someone wants to see it. Just let me know the date if you want me to bring the horsebows :) I haven't heard anything off Richard recently, but have told him to let me know if he wants me to bring the armoury down :)

I've added you on facebook, easier to contact me there as I check it more often :)

antcjones

Shall check that out now. My gnas card is still in the ether somewhere; but I still have my gnas slip, which I'm told can be used until it turns up.

antcjones

Just to add a vquick note on here if anyone else is interested in this thread. Tried out Milly's 40# horsebow: nice and easy on the draw; feels like a good 10lb less than my recurve, however did stiffen up a bit at full draw.

urbin

I'm currently watching an auction for a Mongolian horsebow (it's a little light in the details), which I may be tempted by if the price says low. I'm wondering about the poundage, though, given that I can't try before I buy. I've never shot a horsebow or a longbow but I'm curious enough to buy one if the price is right.

The bow is apparently 45# at 29". I have a 24.5" DL, shoot a 49# compound and in the olden days shot a 35# recurve. Am I being a little optimistic?

Insanity-Rocks

I'm currently watching an auction for a Mongolian horsebow (it's a little light in the details), which I may be tempted by if the price says low. I'm wondering about the poundage, though, given that I can't try before I buy. I've never shot a horsebow or a longbow but I'm curious enough to buy one if the price is right.

The bow is apparently 45# at 29". I have a 24.5" DL, shoot a 49# compound and in the olden days shot a 35# recurve. Am I being a little optimistic?

I shoot a 58lbs compound and a 35lbs longbow(35lbs at my draw length - 24") The longbow feels the same weight as a recurve of the same weight, so we'd be quite similar. I shoot my short 40lbs horsebow comfortably, and have had a go of a 50lbs one of the same height - it was a bit of a struggle but I managed to shoot a couple of arrows with it without killing myself. I'd say 45lbs should be fine, it may take a bit of getting used to but that shouldn't take long.

BillM

With a draw length of 24.5" on a bow rated at 45#@29" it would probably equate to holding about 36# on the fingers at draw. I am assuming the principle applied to horsebows is the same as recurves where a 1" change in draw length gives a 2# change in draw weight. The shorter draw length would reduce the pondage by about 9# thus the 36# above. I would imagine this will be very easy to hold and as the max distance in FITA Field is 50m the bow is quite adequate. With my 52# scythian bow I have shot a heavy arrow 150m without trying so FITA's should be achievable although accuracy is something to be pondered about. I might try a clout (165m) to see how things go but as regards the original question the bow seems to be O.k. but it depends on what it will be used for.

BillM

urbin

Thanks all for the helpful comments.

The closer I look the more dubious I am about the bow as so far there's no details of the manufacturer or much about the materials. The shape also looks a little off to my untrained eye. Any comments on this?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/636732885

Insanity-Rocks

At first glance that looked like it was strung backwards! Looking at the string grooves it turns out it isn't but it definitely doesn't look like any horsebow I've ever seen. Possibly a homemade attempt?

There's plenty of reasonable quality ones going on ebay, I'd say those were a safer bet than that thing