Compound Bow Mybo Edge

AndyW

I'm with you Kernowlad, it looks nice but that price tag is gonna sting. I'm pretty sure it's not a grand better than what I'd be paying now for my older bows.

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Given the weakness of the ?I'd have expected it to be considerably cheaper than the equivalent American bow.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, I reckon sub ?1000 (?995 maybe) - the near ?1200 tag seems like it's been given to place it alongside the top end Hoyts/PSEs/etc.
Apparently they are pricing it "too cheaply" at ?1200ish (according to the Mybo guy on FB) but I'm not convinced.

It's taken a major plus out of buying a Mybo - one being it's British, another being the Origin is very good indeed but that attractive price point has gone. I'm sure it's tweaked and in some ways "better" but is it really 50% better? I'm sure some of us could "afford" one (me included) but it almost seems like touch of Apple syndrome where you crank the price up knowing it will still sell.

I suggest that if they do want it to sell like the Origin, they show us tangible benefits; a few pro shooters getting good scores isn't enough. Is it more stable, smoother to draw, faster (nope) lighter (nope) or anything else?

Kudos to Mybo for developing and manufacturing a new bow but don't just add 50% to the price and just tell people it's "better" because it's harder to machine 7075 aluminium. It's probably harder to make it out of gold but that's not going to sell it to me either.

AndyW

Kernowlad,
I wouldn't even be tempted by a specific bow if every pro shooter in the world had one. Chuck me one in the post for free and I would shoot it as well. I'd even go as far as saying I would be willing to shoot free arrows and use all manner of free stuff. I'd even say it was brilliant - which free stuff mainly is. Sponsored archers are however useful for one thing - grabbing a few percent off new stuff on ebay / facebook selling groups. My Mathews cap was only a tenner courtesy of one of them.

In case there's any suppliers with excess free stuff out there I tend to do OK in smallish local shoots, I am however not very photogenic and have a penchant for smiley faces. If your branding is smiley averse I also have plain braces.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Yes, I reckon sub ?1000 (?995 maybe) - the near ?1200 tag seems like it's been given to place it alongside the top end Hoyts/PSEs/etc.
Apparently they are pricing it "too cheaply" at ?1200ish (according to the Mybo guy on FB) but I'm not convinced.
I think ?1095 would have worked but they obviously want to be seen as a top line manufacturer. I like the riser, bit heavy but par for the course I think. Machining looks cleaner than the Origin. As PSE have announced their Perform-X and Shootdown bows, it will be interesting to see where they are priced, I will probably be looking for a discounted Supra EXT in the near future to replace my brilliant Supra Max.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Ozzy

Perhaps Mybo have a wee bit spoiled us by the price of the Origin & set an unfortunate precedent for themselves ?
If this was a big marketing budget American manufacturer giving us their typical "I'm excited etc etc " speel with little explanation or logic to support their claims, surely bow buyers would be all over this new Edge.
Compare this bow to the top of range USA made bows that will be in the hands of Pro shooters, i.e. Hoyt Prevail, Prime STX, Bowtech Fanatic, Mathews Halon, the new PSE Perform X etc.
I'll bet you'll agree that it compares more than favourably, & isn't it still under their average price points ? :poulies:

I am living in Adelaide, South Australia, so can examine & evaluate all newer bows objectively.
& let me say, have heard it all & owned many bows during all my decades in archery & I am not biased by a sponsorship from Mybo/Merlin. :eek:ptimist:

The Origin price was low in my opinion. Maybe they wanted to create a fanbase and build on it.
I have shot both and have to say the edge suited me first end. Had to hand it back pdq as it was grouping so well.
My mate paid hard cash for his and loves it. If a bow suits you the price will mean nothing over time. British shouldn't mean 2nd grade. Just a low marketing budget .
Pro's will go to whom ever pays ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ozzy

The Origin price was low in my opinion. Maybe they wanted to create a fanbase and build on it.
I have shot both and have to say the edge suited me first end. Had to hand it back pdq as it was grouping so well.
My mate paid hard cash for his and loves it. If a bow suits you the price will mean nothing over time. British shouldn't mean 2nd grade. Just a low marketing budget .

True, many Pros will contract with whichever brand has the biggest marketing/sponsorship budget & offers the most, but would like to believe there are some who won't shift out of loyalty or if the bows don't appeal to them.

Shirt

Good to see that someone on here actually GETS it.

And while you may expect to see stuff being cheaper because our currency continues to crap itself in public, bear in mind that it also means a lot of the inputs and components to the product have just become more expensive.

Shirt

Good to see that someone on here actually GETS it.

And while you may expect to see stuff being cheaper because our currency continues to crap itself in public, bear in mind that it also means a lot of the inputs and components to the product have just become more expensive.

Whitehart

Think of all that investment Mybo have made - CNC machines and the people to operate them and design products are not cheap. Yes I am sure Mybo could have made it cheaper by putting it out to China, but the quality would not be there unless you pay a lot more.

Ironically the Origin was not taken seriously by some top archers around the world because it was considered too cheap and by definition could not be as good as their current bow that costs twice as much...." It's expensive with a well known badge so it must be good and nobody is going to question my choice".

IMHO compared to the competition, in terms of build quality, finish and performance the Edge is cheap. This is not the 70's don't confuse British made with British Leyland.

Is the edge faster than the origin - yes ask any of those shooting it at 90m on a cold windy day.

Whitehart

Think of all that investment Mybo have made - CNC machines and the people to operate them and design products are not cheap. Yes I am sure Mybo could have made it cheaper by putting it out to China, but the quality would not be there unless you pay a lot more.

Ironically the Origin was not taken seriously by some top archers around the world because it was considered too cheap and by definition could not be as good as their current bow that costs twice as much...." It's expensive with a well known badge so it must be good and nobody is going to question my choice".

IMHO compared to the competition, in terms of build quality, finish and performance the Edge is cheap. This is not the 70's don't confuse British made with British Leyland.

Is the edge faster than the origin - yes ask any of those shooting it at 90m on a cold windy day.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Well Mybo themselves list the same ATA speed for both; 318fps.

Apart from a couple of mildly patronising posts, there is STILL no benefit stated over the Origin - yes it's a good bow, of course it is but in what way? Just "I tried one and it was nice" is a bit weak.

Now I'm (clearly) not experienced enough to be able to give a balanced view but in the other sports I do to a high level (mainly surfing which I'll use as an example) I am experienced enough to discern one board from another and in that sport, extra cost gets you a known brand import usually from the USA. However less money gets me a board shaped by hand by a shaper I surf with and to my exact specs. So is the machine made import board "better?" Well maybe it is for some people but not others and clearly just spending more doesn't instantly make a board better.

I'm not attacking the Edge or Mybo; I have a Mybo. But I'd just like to see some actual benefits rather than "different aluminium" and "it's nice."

Mybo would do themselves a lot of favours if they consider where this bow sits in the market and having brought out a very good bow for a pretty amazing ?795, how the new one is 50% "better."

It's not that difficult - just basic sales and marketing.

AndyW

Putting my objective hat on for a moment I think the bow is worth the level it's been put at. Would I buy one over a ?1200 Hoyt/Mathews/Bowtech etc. - God yes. Is someone wearing a Mybo/Merlin shirt shooting one going to sway me? - no. Is a top U.S. archer shooting one going to sway me? - no. Did Mybo make a huge mistake for their brand by putting the Origin as low as they did? - yes.
If their marketing person is half good we will be seeing the demise of the Origin in fairly short order to get rid of the low cost option. Risky - possibly, but as below they could minimise the risk.

Regarding the Edge, I think they missed a trick. A nice touch would have been to do exactly what they've done except bridge the gap of the pricing. They could have put the shorter one as the Edge with limited colourways at ?200 less and the longer one as the Edge Pro / Elite / Comp whatever to attract the target crowd with the full pretty factor. A bit of shiny anodising and target blurb never hurt no one.

Perception - price conscious? buy the camo/black one you've "saved" yourself ?xxx. Need pretty/the word Elite/Pro etc. after the name - you treated yourself and bought the "better" bow. Winner/winner. We're all human.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Back to surfboards; just ordered one to replace the one stolen in Spain.
Hand shaped to my exact spec, my own graphics, carbon inserts, ?400.

Bargain.

Until I see a convincing reason why the Edge is worth 50% more, I will consider myself damned lucky to have got a bargain Origin before it was decided that Mybo needs to drastically increase it's prices because the other high end bows are expensive.

I also used to ride MTBs a lot and raced them - there was always a group of riders who just threw money at their bikes without considering they might actually not be very fit, or skilled or just good at all. Then there's the group who kick butt on anything with wheels.
Clearly at the absolute top end of Elite racing the "best" kit helps but in 99.99% it's just the Emperors New Clothes syndrome.

I'm hoping someone will come along and "get" what I'm on about - rather than just telling us it's "better." Better at what?

jerryRTD

They could do what Bowtech/Diamond have done, have two brands, Mybo and Merlin. Reposition the Origin as an intermediate bow with black only colour marketed under one brand name. ( as long as your making a good profit why put the price up?) Go upmarket with the other brand name.
With the economy as it is at the moment, high end bow sales could take a big hit if the interest rates go up any time soon

Last edited:

Ozzy

They could do what Bowtech/Diamond have done, have two brands, Mybo and Merlin. Reposition the Origin as an intermediate bow with black only colour marketed under one brand name. ( as long as your making a good profit why put the price up?) Go upmarket with the other brand name.
With the economy as it is at the moment, high end bow sales could take a big hit if the interest rates go up any time soon
From a marketing perspective, probably a bit late for that brand name segmentation move now.
I really liked & preferred the previous "Merlin" name branding for their previous bows. This "Mybo" name has been the subject of a bit of razzing at my club over my Mybo Origin.
The AUS$ is quite favourable at the moment for purchases from UK or US, but a top end bow is still a rather hefty investment.