new course

evolram

Hi all
We are in the process of building a field course and I would like a bit of advice. It will be a 24 target agb course. What I would like from you is your thoughts:
What you look for in a course.
What you like.
What you don't like.
Things you thought were a good/bad idea.
If you have built one, things you found out that needed to be done that were unexpected.
And any other thoughts really.
Cheers

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
a really good tea tent!! ;)

I guess different people like different things. I, for example, like tough shots, nailing a 45m shot on a 20 degree slope, great feeling! :D of course, if people are after scores, tough shot after tough shot... maybe not so popular! ;)

But a course that flows nicely from one shot to the next, with a nice variety of shots. Sometimes when you're going around and you have three 40cm targets in four targets you just start wondering where the other targets are!

Another question you might have to think about, are you thinking of three loops of 8 (more visits to the tea tent) or two loops of 12??

evolram

Tea tent is a must.
It will be one loop of 24 targets. Distances from 10m to 60m it's on the side of what's called a mountain, so very steep in places. It's a looped path with targets off to each side and a few loops off the loop, if that makes sense. With cliffs, woods, bracken, lake and small valley. My favorite shot at the moment is from a cliff down and along parallel to the face. Bit scary in the wind and rain.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Oooo sounds interesting... 24 targets can be a long haul if you're starting on T1 (thinking in terms of when holding a shoot), though I have seen courses where they have a secondary tea tent.

Guessing it's not in Surrey, but certainly sounds like fun!!

Hopefully those with a bit more knowledge about these things will be about at some point!!

D

Deleted member 7654

Variety.
Good natural back stops or area behind the target that isn't an arrow breaker or looser. It prevents delays, specially important on long shots.
Some shots that need an unconventional stance (I have a penchant for the kneeling shot).
Targets behind a slight rise or in a dip can make judging the rage difficult and interesting. Similarly shots across water.
Shots between trees or down tunnels of trees, can make you have to think about trajectory... again the kneeling shot can gain some extra vertical space for the trajectory.
Good marking of routes between targets.
Del
(Towels to dry my wet knee ;) )

Riceburner

Personally I like things like target faces that fit the environment (eg deer in woodland, not ducks in a pond), but that's not relevant to most AGB shooting.

I also like it when the shot is obscured, or hard to see, due to the environment - low-handing branches for example, or shooting through a window in tree-branches, but again - that's not going to happen in AGB as far as I have experienced.

I also love the idea of steeply angled shots, anything that makes the footing difficult to get right (eg the peg being right on the edge of the slope, up on a tree-stump etc) - is that allowed in AGB??

Shots that cross open areas - eg pegs in the trees one side of a firebreak, target in the trees on the other side.... very hard to shoot - especially if it's windy... ;)

basically, make it as hard as possible, and when people complain, just say they need to shoot better... ;)

Riceburner

Oooo sounds interesting... 24 targets can be a long haul if you're starting on T1 (thinking in terms of when holding a shoot), though I have seen courses where they have a secondary tea tent.
Most NFAS shoots are 32+ - some go up to 40 targets a shoot... 24 sounds like a pleasantly short shoot. - they also tend to be in 2 or 3 loops - so the shooters come to the tea tent regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

one thing I would LOVE to see organised - but have very little expectation of actually happening - is a shoot from a Go Ape course.

Obviously you'd have to hire the whole Go Ape area and it's surrounds for the entire day which would be prohibitively expensive, and it would take some serious organisation, but it would be excellent fun and a very different shoot.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I also love the idea of steeply angled shots, anything that makes the footing difficult to get right (eg the peg being right on the edge of the slope, up on a tree-stump etc) - is that allowed in AGB??
I think as long as it's safe it's allowed... I've shot this at Pentref before (15m bunny)

Most NFAS shoots are 32+ - some go up to 40 targets a shoot... 24 sounds like a pleasantly short shoot. - they also tend to be in 2 or 3 loops - so the shooters come to the tea tent regularly.
yeah... but don't you only shoot one arrow in NFAS (if you hit first arrow)?? So over a 40 target shoot you could still have shot fewer arrows than a 24 target fita round (72 shots).

Of course, AGB/WA do have rounds that include animal faces and 3D targets. The Surrey Champs in November is a National Animal round, and I know we've got board members who went to the WA European 3D Championships, earlier this year I think.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I like a mixture of hard shots and easier shots.

The hard shots test you but the easier ones mean that people with less experience aren't discouraged.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Don't position the pegs such that limbs are in danger of getting damaged - from overhanging branches etc. Nothing spoils your day like damaging your gear.

Riceburner

I think as long as it's safe it's allowed... I've shot this at Pentref before (15m bunny)
Lovely! (aren't you a long way back from the peg??)

yeah... but don't you only shoot one arrow in NFAS (if you hit first arrow)?? So over a 40 target shoot you could still have shot fewer arrows than a 24 target fita round (72 shots).
big 'IF' there.... I've seen very VERY good archers take 3 shots when the target is well laid.

Of course, AGB/WA do have rounds that include animal faces and 3D targets. The Surrey Champs in November is a National Animal round, and I know we've got board members who went to the WA European 3D Championships, earlier this year I think.
I think we did the Surrey Field Open together a couple of years ago.

I shoot a black horsebow.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't position the pegs such that limbs are in danger of getting damaged - from overhanging branches etc. Nothing spoils your day like damaging your gear.
On the contrary - checking overhead clearance, and canting, adjusting footing etc are all part of the joy of field. ;) :D

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
within a metreish... that's allowed! ;) certainly would want to make sure you remembered your sling! it's a long way to fetch your bow if it jumps out your hand! :D

Was that you?? I'm going to have to start wearing my AIUK Ironman 'bimble' nametag more often. We could have a secret AIUK handshake!!

Lovely! (aren't you a long way back from the peg??)

I think we did the Surrey Field Open together a couple of years ago.

I shoot a black horsebow.

BillM

After I made my post I remembered something. If you are a club affiliated to AGB you will have access to an Area Coach, County Coach or perhaps one of your club is a Level 1 or above who has the Coaching Manual. I don't know what the current one is like as I did my Coach Course twelve/fourteen years ago but the Coaching Manual has a section on "Course-Laying & Securty in FITA Field Archery". Try get access to that but if you have difficulty PM with an email address me and I will scan what I have and email it to you. Also try speak to some judges who officiate at field competitions as they are responsible for checking the course and all the judges up here who do the Scottish Champs/AFA Open know their stuff. Visit as many courses that are within driving distance and either arrange to shoot or just walk the course to give a feel for the one you might be able to set up.

Going on the above, I would suggest that the course is set out as two groups of twelve with the start point of both near the same point. Most competitions are run on one day as unmarked and the second as marked. Archers shoot twelve then have a break before completing the second twelve then repeating the process the next day. That way everyone meets up at the place the 'tea tent' and TOILET facilities are, and it makes for a more friendly meeting.

BillM

evolram

Hi all
Thanks for the replies, we've been busy and all the bosses are fixed in position. I'm so pleased we don't have to do this every week.
Next I think we're going to shoot it a few times and work the bugs out and clear paths and overshoots.
Cheers Marc

Valkamai

It will be one loop of 24 targets. Distances from 10m to 60m it's on the side of what's called a mountain.
So does that mean you are not going to cater for unsighted archers, only freestyle and comp unlimited ?

Let's have some photos please. :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2