New Limb - Hoyt G3, Win&Win Inno, Samick Extreme or..Border..HELP PLEASE

NoAngel

Hi all, please bare with me on this for a moment, just some back ground info first...

After shooting a Stylist for some years (14 to be precise) I have finally come to the point where I need to change the bow. I changed from shooting ACE to X10 arrows this year, and with the extra weight in the arrow I am now struggling to reach 100 yards.

I currently shoot a 70" Stylist Supreme, 40lbs @ 28", on my fingers I hold 44.5lbs. I draw a 31.5" x10, 450 spine with 120 grain tungsten break offs. I am shooting around the level of MB, with 22-24 hcap rating on a good day.

Drawing 31.5" does have its problem's, I had a go a shooting some G3 and M1 limbs early this year and found that over 30" they began to heavily stack. I have also seen two pairs of 70" delaminate in a matter of weeks.

So down to business, I need new limbs that are capable or storing more energy hence giving me a fast shot. Obviously increasing the limb speed can have an effect on the stability (being less forgiving) so this is something I have to bare in mind. I am not the best archer in the world, and do make the odd "crazy release" from time to time which I would like to keep near the gold.

Limbs being considered
Hoyt G3 - My limited experiences pulls me away from these, I am concerned they will stack and fear they will break, and I can't afford to be replacing them every year or so. Yet so many of the worlds top archers use them.

W&W Inno - I have drawn an 68" bow with these and did find them incredibly smooth, even at my draw length. New out of the market, I only know 2 people with these, but they do rate them.

Samick Extreme - I know nothing really about these, I have seen a few of the top archers shoot them and are told they are very fast, but also unstable. Obviously they are very hot in Korea, but that doesn?t help me.

Border HEX5 - I have been speaking to Sid from Border Archery for about a week now over these limbs and I am very impressed with not only the limbs but also the time and support I have been given. When presenting this information to some unnamed GB Squad Archers, they basically dismissed any claims of Border and said they were over-priced rubbish.

Another possibility is KG Archery, but again I know very little about them, only that there was some question about the future of the company after some problems to do with trading from an unlicensed premises.

I was just looking at this thread that has helped a little, but I need more info:
http://www.archery-interchange.com/...eviews/12521-samick-extreme-vs-w-w-winex.html

What are your views, what do you rate, what do you not rate. How do you feel about border limbs. Something that was said to me, if Borders are so good, why do none of the top archers use them? (I don?t know if they do or now btw) I believe this is mainly down to large corporate sponsorship with companies like Hoyt and W&W getting to all the top archers and giving away loads of gear for free, where smaller companies like Border can?t afford to do that.

I have asked a number of people about there border limbs, and they rave about them, but with no disrespect to anyone as I consider them all to be my friends, they are not on a level of pushing towards GMB. Are there any MB or GMB archers on here who use borders, I would love to hear from you.

So here I am, 4 limbs to choose from, sadly I can?t get them all side by side to shoot and compare for speed, smoothness, feel and performance, so I almost have to buy before I try.

Any help thoughts and views, for or against the above would be fantasic.

NA.

P.S. Good to be back :D

Ffish

I've recently bought some Extremes and I love them! I compared them back to back against G3's at the retailer, and they were poles apart. Take a look at this thread.

I cant speak for the others you've mentioned in your thread, but Extremes get my vote.

You might also want to get a copy of the latest Bow International magazine, as there's an article comparing top limbs such as Inno's, Winex, Extremes, G3's and Athletes. But not Border....

Last edited:

ironmonkey

you're dead right about sponsorship; thats why lots of top archers use G3s, and as far as i know none of them use borders, even though borders are the better limb.

my scores are hanging of the bottom of MB so im not in a great position to compare all the good limbs.
ive shot Winex, XQ-1, Synerzy, G3, Samick Extreme so far, but no Borders unfortunately. Ive also pulled a fair few pair of Innos and Border TXGs

I'm on Samick Extreme at the moment. I get better sight marks with Extremes than i did with any of the others (doesnt neccesarily means they're faster though). They are closer to G3s in smoothness than anything else, not so smooth as Innos. Its not that Extremes arent super-smooth,.. they're just.. different.
The Innos are really something special.. really mega smooth.

Extremes are unusually loud and tinny though, but they look awesome.

I bet there are people queuing up to tell you to avoid G3s. they're just not so good IMHO. people don't seem to like the dead/soggy reaction..

I shoot Extremes over the others, so as you'd guess i rate them.
They're also better value than some others around ?50 cheaper than G3/Inno.

Chris

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Out of a membership of a 130 we only have one GMB in the club, and he shoots Border limbs :)

There's been a lot of horror stories about G3's, I've been shooting mine fully bolted down for 2.5 years and the only marks on them are the normal limb pocket wear, some knocks around the nocks and on the edge where I scraped them slightly on the wall; no sign of delamination whatsoever*. They've also given me a half decent site mark to reach 100 yards with 36lb on my fingers.

*touches wood and hopes they don't explode tomorrow morning...

ironmonkey

i forgot to mention a warning about Samick limbs; they tend to be a bit heavier than the marked draw weight, by as much as a pound.
Otherwise they are stonkingly good limbs

Chris

NoAngel

The top archers could shoot with almost any bow and still make GMB ;)

If it's speed you're after, go for Borders :cheerful:

Oh yeah, the top lady archer in my club (Not me!) also shoots Borders :)
I agree, a good archers could shoot a broom pole well at the end of the day, but I need all the advantages I can get.

NoAngel

Out of a membership of a 130 we only have one GMB in the club, and he shoots Border limbs :)

There's been a lot of horror stories about G3's, I've been shooting mine fully bolted down for 2.5 years and the only marks on them are the normal limb pocket wear, some knocks around the nocks and on the edge where I scraped them slightly on the wall; no sign of delamination whatsoever*. They've also given me a half decent site mark to reach 100 yards with 36lb on my fingers.

*touches wood and hopes they don't explode tomorrow morning...
Whats your draw length Dave, what length limbs do you shoot?

NoAngel

You might also want to get a copy of the latest Bow International magazine, as there's an article comparing top limbs such as Inno's, Winex, Extremes, G3's and Athletes. But not Border....
Has anyone got a copy of this article that they could maybe scan in and email to me? We used to get a club copy of B.I. but it seems to dissappear now to someones home.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Nice to see you posting, Mike. Hope you find some limbs that work for you. :cake: :beer:

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Has anyone got a copy of this article that they could maybe scan in and email to me?
[official hat on]AIUK does not condone the scanning and duplication of copyrighted material. Please contact the publisher regarding back issues or see if your local archery retailer has a copy[/hat off]

NoAngel

[official hat on]AIUK does not condone the scanning and duplication of copyrighted material. Please contact the publisher regarding back issues or see if your local archery retailer has a copy[/hat off]
Noted :ashamed: :guilty: :duh:

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I changed from shooting ACE to X10 arrows this year, and with the extra weight in the arrow I am now struggling to reach 100 yards.:D
Just out of interest why then did you change from A/C/E's to X10's; my understanding of X10's is that they were designed to be optimised for the Olympic Round ie 70m. Although, with 44.5lbs on the fingers I can't understand why you struggle to reach 100 yards with them?

I currently shoot a 70" Stylist Supreme, 40lbs @ 28", on my fingers I hold 44.5lbs. I draw a 31.5" :D
I currently shoot an Avalon Plus, 40lbs G3's @ 28" 44.3lbs on my fingers drawing 30". They don't shoot like a "wet lettuce", they don't "stack" and they haven't delaminated. I personally find them smooth as silk and I like them very much.

You can read horror stories about virtually every limb on here and the other archery boards, I seem to remember recently reading of someone (I couldn't find the post unfortunately) comparing G3's with Samick Extremes in a shop and the dealer telling him that he'd had "loads" of Extremes returned broken.

At the end of the day, as has been said before, all the "top" limbs are top performers each with slightly different characteristics. "You pays your money and you takes your chances".

NoAngel

Just out of interest why then did you change from A/C/E's to X10's; my understanding of X10's is that they were designed to be optimised for the Olympic Round ie 70m. Although, with 44.5lbs on the fingers I can't understand why you struggle to reach 100 yards with them?
I changed to X10's simply because of the weight. I wanted a heavier arrow that would not drift so much in the wind, and drop so much in heavy rain. I was finding my ACE would blow all over the place in high winds where others shooting X10's had minimal drift.

I shoot a 31.5" 450 spine with 120 tungsten breakoffs, these are a whole 20% heavier than my old ACE's. The other factor would be the speed of the limb, stylist limbs are not the fastest in the world, and they have a wooden cord which is quite sensitive to temperature changes and the rain.

Like I said in an ideal world I would love to try them all side by side, but I can't, so I need you good people to give me the pros and cons, but you have to bare in mind, I have a high draw length. If you look at most draw force curves there can be anything from a 2lb to 6lb increase from 30" and 31.5" draw. Border even suggested that I might be better suited to a 72" bow for a smoother draw.

NA

wingate_52

I have owned 3 pairs of Win&Win limbs. Challenger, Winact and Winex. Each better than the last. It would seem that the Inno again improves over the Winex. I have shot borrowed Borders. They were great. Light and smooth with an easy draw. You could not go wrong with either. You will get a more personalised service with Borders so you cannot go wrong.

ironmonkey

thats quite a long draw you've got.
given that, maybe Samick stuff isn't for you, a kid i know who has a 31"ish draw length shot Samick Masters limbs and pulled my 70" Extremes, and says they both began to stack abit at about 30"ish..
in fact i've heard afew people say Samick stuff is abit stacky if you draw them long..

W&W or Border stuff might be better for a longer drawlength, specially if Border can make you a 71" or 72" pair

NoAngel

So with that said, things seem to point away from the Hoyt G3 and Samick Extremes, leaving W&W Inno and Borders. So then I go back to my original question, why if Borders are so good do the likes of Simon Terry and Naomi Folkard not use them. Surely they want to use the best equipment for their archery, not necessarily what comes free?

Nick Forster

Ironman
Have a look at KG's Apex Limbs either the 70" or 72" would be nice at your draw length and they are lovely and smooth on the draw and very quick.
I spoke to keith the other day and he said that they are staying put, and the issues seem to have been resolved.
Nick

ironmonkey

So with that said, things seem to point away from the Hoyt G3 and Samick Extremes, leaving W&W Inno and Borders. So then I go back to my original question, why if Borders are so good do the likes of Simon Terry and Naomi Folkard not use them. Surely they want to use the best equipment for their archery, not necessarily what comes free?
maybe the conditions of their sponsorship means they aren't allowed to use anyone else's limbs

also, come to think of it you can't really say Borders are *the best*, in the same way that you can't say Aston Martins are the best cars
that's really for a long pointless discussion about who likes which limbs,,.. oh wait....:covereyes

NoAngel

Medium 34lb limbs wound to 36lb (well, about 2oz. under...) and 28" draw.
See at that poundage and draw I wouldn't expect a problem, I have only ever heard of and see the higher poundage 70" limbs delaminate. If I shot a 68" bow (obviously wit a shorter draw) G3's would not be a problem.