Barebow New Recurve String?

Snoop_Hogg

my string snapped on me this week and i need some advice as ive never had to buy one before.
my bow length is 68" so i know the length needs to be 64" for the string but when im looking on quicks its asking for number of strands i want in the string. with a bow weight of 34 pounds how many strands do i need. 14, 16 or 18.thanks in advance.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
how many strands do i need. 14, 16 or 18.thanks in advance.
If you still have the old string, count the number of threads that make up the string - most likely it will be 16 or 18 strands depending on string material.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
i did and its 12. ive had the string for 2-3 years since i first started. should i just go up to 14?
Sounds like it may be a dacron type string....which has a thicker strand compared to other materials.

What sort of bow and arrows are you shooting??? If it is a 1/2 way decent bow, you would be best to move away from the Dacron strings and look more @ the 8125 type strings (they're faster!!!). These type of string have thinner strands, therefore you need more to get the same thickness. Unfortunately it is a bit of a shot in the dark with regards to arrow nock fit.

grimsby archer

Do yourself a favour.
When you work out what kind of string you need, buy 2 of them and alternate them every month.
That way you'll always have a spare that is shot in.
Every six months or year (depending on how much you shoot), replace one of the strings. That way you'll always have good strings.

nedl25

Hi Snoop,

If its of any interest, i moved from a 12 string 70" dacron to a 16 string 8125. I shoot a 70" 34# bow setup. This was recommended by the string maker once i told him my spec and poundage. So i think i am right in sayiing this should work well for you also. Unless you are shooting totally different set up like a 64" in which case the amount of strings may increase.

Ned