Riser New riser

floydfanian

Ironman
I have a mybo elite at the moment and started in july, got to 1st class so no complaints

now if i were to buy a top riser what difference would it make? I have good limbs and ACE arrows.

just wondering if it was worth upgrading my riser

thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Ian

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The grip might feel different in the hand, but I don't think there is any need to upgrade.
If we are talking differences in scores,then the archer has to improve what they do with their bow. It is easy enough to upgrade a riser and end up shooting just the same way you did with the first one.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, indeed. I am guilty as anyone. I find it hard to resist the temptation to think that a better bow ,or whatever, will be bound to make a difference to my scores. Just like getting a faster car will reduce the time of the journeys.
I have to change my thinking process, into something more realistic. I can reduce journey times with a faster car ONLY if my driving speeds up. That is dependent on improving my driving skills.... first. But I could reduce journey times in the slower car if I improved my driving skills.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, indeed. I am guilty as anyone. I find it hard to resist the temptation to think that a better bow ,or whatever, will be bound to make a difference to my scores. Just like getting a faster car will reduce the time of the journeys.
I have to change my thinking process, into something more realistic. I can reduce journey times with a faster car ONLY if my driving speeds up. That is dependent on improving my driving skills.... first. But I could reduce journey times in the slower car if I improved my driving skills.

D

Deleted member 7654

Post deleted on the grounds of Christmas spirit over riding my cynicism.
Del

Corax67

I am not entirely sure it makes any difference at normal club level Archery - I have seen an archer (former youth national top 10) rock up at club and shoot a first class score with a club 'bitsa' bow. It was a consumate illustration of what a really good archer can do with very basic kit. Maybe at national or international level then maybe the tweakability of a high level riser might make those vital millimetric changes that make a 1 point gain achievable but not really vital for the club field on a Saturday.

From what I have seen the Mybo is a very good riser and you say you have a good set of limbs so why not stick with it for a while longer and see how you go ?

Karl

Erkat

Here are a few thoughts on reasons to change a riser.

- To create a longer (smoother) or shorter (faster) bow
- To change the bow hand position. Difficult to justify a ?500 riser for the grip though.
- To change the physical weight of the bow. Some people find it difficult to hold a lump of aluminium up or have shoulder problems and switch to carbon risers.
- Wanting a multipurpose bow. i.e. a riser that can accommodate static weights for barebow and stabilisers for olympic recurve.
- Wanting better limb alignment / tiller adjustment options.

There may be other reasons too but imho if you're not looking to achieve any of the above then probably no reason to change the riser. The money would probably be better spent on stabilisers or a custom grip (Jaegar).