New string

dottorfoggy

Helping a club shooter to make a new string for his bow, tempest 25" and hex 6.6 70"
Yesterday in practice session his string broke in two pieces after he released, no injuries fortunately.
He have a 29" draw, with 40# at the finger with the limbs full screwed in.
How long have to be the string itself and the brace height?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If I recall correctly, the Hex 6 recommendations were - bow length minus 2 inches for string length.
Bracing height about 7.5 to 8.5 inches.
For comparison: Hex 7 limb strings, I make at bow length minus 1 inch...
So it may depend on whether the 6.6s are closer to the 6s or the 7s (I have a feeling they are more like the 7s). A compromise would be to start with a bow length minus 1.5 inches, and see how it braces.

Berny

How many strands of what material?
Where was the break?
What type? - I'm guessing flemish twist ....
how long were your tails i.e. after the loops & twistedback into the main bundles?

dottorfoggy

If I recall correctly, the Hex 6 recommendations were - bow length minus 2 inches for string length.
Bracing height about 7.5 to 8.5 inches.
For comparison: Hex 7 limb strings, I make at bow length minus 1 inch...
So it may depend on whether the 6.6s are closer to the 6s or the 7s (I have a feeling they are more like the 7s). A compromise would be to start with a bow length minus 1.5 inches, and see how it braces.
I have made one that is 2,5" shorter, brace is 9" with 25 turns on the string.
He is in worry to damage it with so much brace, he was shooting with 7,5" and it was too loud and dry during shooting. Now I totally quiet
New string is 16 strand 8125g and 0.18 serving
How many strands of what material?
Where was the break?
What type? - I'm guessing flemish twist ....
how long were your tails i.e. after the loops & twistedback into the main bundles?
I really don't know what kind of material, was the the string that came with the bow, looks old style the string.
I have to double check the rest, the only one thing I know, I broke just upper the serving.

1,5 year old string, 100avg arrows per day, never waxed, always on the bow ready to shoot

He shoot with carbon sst 500 or similar spine

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, 9" is too high, 7.5 probably too low. The noise is almost certainly the arrow contacting the riser. I'd see If I could get it down to 8 1/4" and still keep it quiet.

dottorfoggy

A little test this evening end it went really well, really quiet!
We have already tested up to 8-1/4" but still some noise. He try one week like that and If I can I will make a new string to try.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Wind the limbs out if you need to have them braced that high.