[American Flatbow] Newbie Question: UK Hill-style Flatbow ? (entry bow)

Pete_Mc

As a newbie who is currently Target shooting ELB, I'd like to give Field a go and I'd like to shoot a Hill-style AFB, preferably with a straight grip.

Much as I'd love to be able to afford the ?500 for a Fairbow Rebel, a Rex Oakes Saggitarius or a Sylvan Archery American Longbow, I'm afraid I'm I can't afford one, let alone afford to order a Howard Hill bow or a Belcher Union Jack from the States. (OMG the shipping costs!!)

I wonder if any of the AFB shooters or other archers can give me some feedback on the few "lower cost" AFB style bows out there?
This would be a bow used to work with, I'm not expecting to be winning anything and have no idea about how fast they shoot. For me its an aesthetic thing as much as anything else. I just want to know if these bows are prone to horrendous hand shock or exploding etc! (Oh yeah, I'd be looking at the 40-45lbs mark with a 30" draw)

Samick Outlander
Viper Deluxe
Millennium Matis

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Falco AFBs, but I'm less taken with the chunky pistol grips...
Any advice would be welcome. As would other alternatives to my limited selection!
Many thanks,
Pete.

Berny

Shot (& still got) an Internature Viper DLX #55 for couple of years before getting a Border Griffon GL - the 2 don't compare but the DLX was
fine, less/no handshock compared to say Samick SLB #50 esp. when using tonkin boos & some woods - never tried carbons or alloys off though, but
expect both would've been handshocky.
Griffon has Zero handshock even shooting Easton Powerflight carbon 340's which are/were typically 100gns lighter than any woods/boos.
Got a Metis too, great for letting other people have a go as is dual-shelf/ambidextrous but have found a bit handshocky - has quite "clunky" limbs.
Don't Falco have simple "locator" grips? e.g. Spirit/Legend ... other models
Got 2 old(er) Jack Belcher's #50 & #56 - they're sweet to shoot & non-handshocky regardless of arrow used.
Got an old(er) Border Falcon - it's sweet too!
If you can find them 2nd hand the Bowtec (Dave Folwell) bows were good.
If you take a look at this
the slimmer tipped ones are/were the sweetest shooters!

Zhoo Zhoo

Not a flatbow user but I started off on the beginner's course with a flatbow style with a shelf; it was a KG Sherwood ranger. They do one called a KG Cobra which may be more what you're looking for. If you're not into fibreglass finishes and want to go with wood, then Pip Bickerstaffe let me have a hold of one of his flat bows and it feels good in the hand. Probably a bit more than the bows you listed though. Or of course have a chat with Del the Cat. I've seen one of his ash flatbows and it shot fast and straight!
Sue

Pete_Mc

Berny,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply!
I must say, I envy you your collection of admirable bows.
Its clear that you've been collecting bows a good while and there are some stunners there!

I've read and heard a lot of good things about Border bows.
I had a Belcher bow, low poundage, many years ago, would love to get another one, or something very similar.
If I can't pick up a good used Belcher / Sagittarius, then at the budget end the Viper sounds a better bet than the Metis.
I'd still be interested to hear if the Samick Outlander is any good, heard shoots well, and in terms of aesthetics its got a nice straight grip compared to the SLB's locator grip.
It sounds like the Samicks are a better bet than the Ragims as the lower end.

So much to learn, so many bows to sample, so little time and money!!

Many thanks again Berny.
Cheers
Pete.

Pete_Mc

Hi Sue,
I've had a look at the Bickerstaffe flatbows and they look nice too, as do the KG bows. These are unfortunately a tad out of my price range at the moment. Realistically I need to concentrate on getting my form up to scratch with the longbow and see the flatbow as something to try when I eventually have a pop at Field Archery. I know the coach at my club wants me to master the longbow before going off and learning bad habits from flatbow shooting :)

Berny

Berny,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply!
I must say, I envy you your collection of admirable bows.
Its clear that you've been collecting bows a good while and there are some stunners there!

I've read and heard a lot of good things about Border bows.
I had a Belcher bow, low poundage, many years ago, would love to get another one, or something very similar.
If I can't pick up a good used Belcher / Sagittarius, then at the budget end the Viper sounds a better bet than the Metis.
I'd still be interested to hear if the Samick Outlander is any good, heard shoots well, and in terms of aesthetics its got a nice straight grip compared to the SLB's locator grip.
It sounds like the Samicks are a better bet than the Ragims as the lower end.

So much to learn, so many bows to sample, so little time and money!!

Many thanks again Berny.
Cheers
Pete.
You're very welcome - i got lucky in my acquisitions, nowadays people are paying stupid money for older/2nd hand bows.

See PM i've sent you.

I've tried (but not owned) a Ragim Wolf & Bucktrail Blackhawk & didn't like either of them - thick, wide limbs - handshocky with poor cast!

I believe (had a look but can't find corroborating info at present) that the Viper DLX was the same as the Samick "xxx" (can't remember name).
You should maybe take a wander over to the Longbow Shop in Birkenhead as they will likely have samples of a lot of these we're discussing
(apart from "cherished" bows) where you can look /touch & possibly try.

Pete_Mc

You're very welcome - i got lucky in my acquisitions, nowadays people are paying stupid money for older/2nd hand bows.

See PM i've sent you.

I've tried (but not owned) a Ragim Wolf & Bucktrail Blackhawk & didn't like either of them - thick, wide limbs - handshocky with poor cast!

I believe (had a look but can't find corroborating info at present) that the Viper DLX was the same as the Samick "xxx" (can't remember name).
You should maybe take a wander over to the Longbow Shop in Birkenhead as they will likely have samples of a lot of these we're discussing
(apart from "cherished" bows) where you can look /touch & possibly try.
Cheers for the PM.
It looks good, and there is a nice sounding AFB up for sale on the site.
If neither of those pan out I'll take a trip to the Longbow Shop and try not to max out my credit card!
Cheers
Pete.