Newbie To AIUK, Not To Archery

Finch

So, some history:

I joined a club and started shooting back in '99/2000 having completed their beginners course. I bought a W&W Trigger clone called an EXE Mouse at 25" with 26lb W&W limbs. Easton XX75 arrows of whatever length the Pro Shop cut them to. I shot for a couple of years before suffering frozen shoulders on 3 separate occasions. Couple that with in-fighting at the club and I simply stopped shooting. Always had the intent to go back to it but life got in the way. Too many hobbies!

At a local "show" at the beginning of June the same local club was running "have-a-go" sessions of six arrows for a quid with a crappy fibreglass beginner's bow. Why not thought I, could be a giggle. Well, I shot 60 points off six arrows (at about 6 yards, barebow!) and I was re-hooked. I made an email enquiry to the club and was invited down for an assessment to shoot with them without having to re-do the beginner's course. They were happy with me and I tonight will be my eighth shoot with them.

In that time I have purchased a new bow to replace my "Early Learning Centre" bow - it even had "my first win & win" on the limbs! My new setup consists of:

• WNS Winners Forged Elite Alpha 25" handle.
  • Soul Black Flash "medium" length carbon/wood limbs at 38lb @ 28" to make a 68" bow.
  • Shibuya Gold button.
  • Decut DC-RE Sight - a MASSIVE improvement over the Cartel (I think) sight I had on the Trigger.
  • Easton A/C/C 3-18 arrows, currently uncut and at their full 31" glory.
  • 31" Longrod from my old setup.
  • Clicker from my old setup

I have shot this setup three times now and pretty much got it shooting straight. There's improvements to be made, but I don't see the point of tuning any further until I can get the arrows shortened. I know that this will change the tuning I have already done, but it absolutely needs done. I haven't bothered shooting a scored round yet.

Generally I am shooting indoors, 20yd, 80cm (I think) target. With my Trigger I shot a 443, mostly by luck than good form. Once I have the WNS at a point that I am happy with I will shoot another scored round to give me a benchmark to work from. In the meantime I can work on form, bow hand position, anchor position, release etc.

I really want to move outdoors to try for the 252 at 30, 40, 50 yards and then my intention is to improve enough (initially) that I can compete at local shoots in the South of England by this time next year.

I am trying to shoot on Wednesday and Friday and hope to use this blog to document my progress regularly.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep this updated and you'll all join me on the journey and encourage/constructively criticise me along the way to help me improve!