Newbie: When to upgrade draw weight?

kinkychinky

What would be a good indication that I can increase my draw weight?

Some of the club members recommend that I move up to the next distance (40yds) as I was shooting some good groupings at 30 yds.

My current limbs are rated 32lbs. Is this sufficient for 40-50 yds or more?

Thanks

Barry C

How fresh would you feel after 200 arrows? If you still feel good then upgrade. Other people advocate methods such as being able to hold at full draw for a minute. But the ability to shoot your 144th arrow as good as the 1st is what really matters.</p>

If your close, then perhaps using slightly heavier limbs with increased practice and reversals would get you in shape to manage them.</p>

kinkychinky

Barry,

would you advocate first building up stamina to be able to shoot 200 goods arrows rather than build up strength to draw heavier bows?

I've seen "reversals" mentioned a few times. What is the meaning of this?

Thanks

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
kinkychinky - 26/5/2005 6:14 PM What would be a good indication that I can increase my draw weight? Some of the club members recommend that I move up to the next distance (40yds) as I was shooting some good groupings at 30 yds. My current limbs are rated 32lbs. Is this sufficient for 40-50 yds or more? Thanks
</p>

Tina (my better half) shoots a 24lb bow and only started having problems when she went to 80yds so 32lbs shouldn't give you any problems with 40-50.</p>

cecile

I agree with both Barry and Dave.
I shoot 31 lbs and I reach easily 70 m (I tried 90 m for the fun of it, but I need to aim above the target...).
As for increasing bow weight and if you have enough stamina, do it very gradually (add 1 pound at a time if you can). It will prevent bad surprises like injuries or too much decreasing in your results (during the time you shall adapt to the new weight) that may lead to demotivation or mistakes in your form.

Barry C

kinkychinky - 27/5/2005 10:32 AM Barry, would you advocate first building up stamina to be able to shoot 200 goods arrows rather than build up strength to draw heavier bows? I've seen "reversals" mentioned a few times. What is the meaning of this? Thanks
</p>

Some people have a heavier set of limbs at home and use them for reversals. Reversals are basically a set of exercises with a bow. For example you might do sets of drawing and holding a bow with a specific rest period between pulls. You can do this with the excellent formaster to get a technique strength workout. I shoot 42 but have a cheap set of limbs that are 50 something for workouts.</p>

You can build up?stamina with your curent limbs. One coach I met asked me to pull the bow?a minimum of 20 times with my left and right hand before after and during shooting after my tea break, and more as and when I could. Also to do this on?days when I can't get to the range. I did it for a few weeks and it really did make a difference. But now im too lazy and just use my home bow for when I cant get to the range.?</p>

kinkychinky

Despite what some are saying, there must be a distinct advantage to being able to draw heavier bows. If there isn't, then why do some (most?) experienced archers draw 40lb plus?

I might do what Barry suggested though and buy a pair of heavier limbs to do reversals at home since I don't really get enough time get to the range.

Mick

Ironman
It's at the longer distances that more bow weight gives an advantage.
More weight gives faster arrow flight (less time time in the air so less affected by wind).
It enables you to shoot with a heavier pile giving better foward of centre (FOC) again less wind drift.
It gives better sight marks (You don't have to move the sight bar in to the bow at 90m).
Some would argue that more weight gives a cleaner release.

As for when to increase the weight, it all depends on the physical condition of the archer. If you can shoot a full FITA and shoot the last arrow as well as the first then you may be ready to increase the weight. BUT be aware being over bowed will kill your form and increasing the weight may mean that your arrows are no longer correctly spined and you may need to upgrade to a stiffer arrow, you will certainly need to retune your set up with even a small increase in weight.
High thirties to low forties seems to be the average weight shot by most club archers (Gents) I started at 36lb five years ago, I'm now shooting 49lb but along the way it involved a lot of frustration, tuning and not a little money (limbs and arrows)
If your forms good and you can shoot all day without undue fatigue and you're at the limit (distance wise) for your equipment then is the time to think about upgrades or upping the bow weight. Until then concentrate on form and enjoy your shooting. In the mean time read up on tuning and technique. Look at "Tuning for tens" on the Texas Archery web site, also look in on Joe Tapley's site, If you have a thorough understanding of how your equipment works you'll save yourself a lot of money and heartache when it comes to making changes or upgrading.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've have not been shooting very long at all. I bought a samick agulla riser with 26lb W&W limbs. I progressed at the club quickly and found I had various problems trying to shoot 60yds, to cut a long story short I went back to the shop and upgraded my limbs to 30lbs. I was concerned that I had made too big a jump but after checking my pull weight and length, I was assured this was the correct step for me.

I guess the moral of my story is the more you practice and train, the more comfortable you are with your set up?? Of course - all advice is greatly received even when some of it is conflicting!! but i'm here to learn...

Greyghost

Hiya Little Miss Purple,
I also shoot with a Samick Agulla riser (nice paintwork, but it chips like nobodys business). I've had my kit since November and I've shot with 36lb limbs during the indoor season, which was fine, but I've got to a stage where I am ready to shoot Yorks/FITA. I've found that the limbs I've got, with my sight set up, I wasn't able to reach 100 yds without aiming 5 feet over the top of the target. I took the bow back to the shop and they duly cranked up the Agulla riser to increase my poundage by 10%. This and a raised, padded out tab enabled me to reach 100yds without any problem. This has saved me the trouble of buying a new set of limbs.
Best wishes and happy shooting,
Steve

Armchair Archer

Greyghost - 4/6/2005 6:12 PM? I've shot with 36lb limbs during the indoor season, which was fine, but I've got to a stage where I am ready to shoot Yorks/FITA. I've found that the limbs I've got, with my sight set up, I wasn't able to reach 100 yds without aiming 5 feet over the top of the target.
</p>

If 36lb limbs won't reach 100 yds, what weight limbs would everyone suggest to comfortably reach the distance and would it be too much of a step to jump from the 34 lb limbs i'm using now ???</p>

kinkychinky

I think it's dependent on your draw length to some degree.

Obviously the limb weight is 34lbs @ 28" but if you are drawing 29" plus, you could be drawing over the marked weight of the limb.

I have been told limbs in the high 30's should be able to reach 100yds, but because I've got a short draw length I'll probably need 40lbs limbs.

Also lighter arrows might help reach the longer distances too however these might be affected more by any wind present.

Greyghost

Hiya,
My problem was that because of the length of my arrows, I had to use an extender clicker i.e. one that fits onto the extension bar of my sight. So I couldn't bring my sight in close enough without losing the use of my clicker. There is no doubt that 36lb will propel an arrow (ACC's in my case) over 100yds (it may collect a bit of ice as comes back through the stratosphere). There ware 2 solutions to this. Firstly was to crank the bow up, so I have my 36lb limbs working as 40lb limbs and secondly was to drop the finger spacer of my A&F tab so the platform is as high as possible and pack the space between the top of my finger and the underside of the platform. Both these solutions work absolutely fine and I can shoot 90mtrs/100 yds without having to move my extension bar in or with the sight pin interfering with my arrows on release.
Best wishes,
Steve

kinkychinky

Greyghost, can you not cut the arrows slightly shorter.

I thought it was good to have as short arrows as possible. I see some archers whose point are only a couple cm (if that) beyond their arrow rest.

This will give you a slightly lighter arrow and a stiffer arrow also for your heavier poundage you now use.

Barry C

I did hear Don Rabska say that if the front node is too close to, or, behind the plunger the bow can give a left right accuracy problem.

Greyghost

Hiya Kinkychinky,
I must admit, I was measured up for my new ACCs a couple of months ago and I thought they were a bit long at the time. I have been shooting longer XX75's indoors during the winter season with out a clicker so I would have thought my draw length would have settled down. I found that the "blade" type clickers wouldn't quite reach, so hence the extender clicker. I am quite happy with my set up now that another club member spent a couple of hours with me helping me tune my bow with the new set up. The only trouble with an extender clicker is that if you have to move your sight in or out, the clicker has to move, but I have my sight set so I can shoot all but the shorter distances with out any major surgery other than moving the pin up and down.
As a beginner with just 6 months experience, you somehow don't feel right questioning the experience of the people supplying my kit. Hopefully I will be completely up-grading my kit for next years outdoor season, at least at that point I will know a bit more about the sport and know whether something looks right or not.
Best wishes,
Steve

kinkychinky

Greyghost,

when you upped the poundage on your Agulla, did you notice how they were done?

I've got what could be construed as an instruction leaflet for mine, but it only mentions adjusting the upper limb.

Cheers

Greyghost

Hi Kinkychinky,
With the Agulla, the poundage can be increased by upto 10%. I did watch, but it went over my head a bit. The simple part of it is that it is adjusted by the hex key screws at the back of the riser. The bad bit about it is that there is a lot more to it than that. Each of the limbs has to be balanced and the limb alignment possibly altered and certainly checked. It is a job best done by an experiemced bow technician.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Best wishes,
Steve

joetapley

The way to get 100 yards with 34 lbs draw is to use light, thin arrows i.e Navigators or ACE.

Any reasonable club archer should be able to adjust draw weight, check limb alignment and tiller. You just have to ask.

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
When I was looking for a clicker, I didn't like the look of the type that fit on the sight mount, so I bought a Beiter "blade" type clicker and an A&F extender plate. They're available from Quicks for ?2.30 and they stick on the front of the bow giving an extra inch or so for the clicker. Similar idea to the extender plates that are fitted to Win & Win risers.
It's also drilled at the top and comes with a bolt to attach the clicker so it's not at too acute an angle. Works well and it's nice and neat.