No longer a second class archer

Berk

Since coming back to archery at the start of this year I started shooting proper rounds for the first time. I started with my recurve and worked my way from unclassified to 3rd to 2nd class. Then I had my head turned by the longbows on the line and bought my own at the end of August. I've been shooting most Sundays (despite most of the club moving indoors) and have been joining the other longbow archers in shooting Yorks, yesterday I got my third 1st class score!

I'm now a 1st class archer, next goal is Bowman. I'm thinking a more powerful bow will make it a bit easier aiming at 100 yards, no more drawing back, lining up the pile then tilting at the hips to aim the pile at the dark patch on the leylandii, no, not that one, the big patch there, that's it, now aim at the corner where it changes to that dark green, bah it went wide, aim one leaf over next time.

Onward and upwards.

Mistake

Ironman
Nice!

I couldn't imagine shooting >50m without a sight, so anyone who can do that is better than me

Corax67

Excellent achievement, very well done indeed.

You don't need a hugely powerful bow for 100yds, a lot of us in our club are shooting Gary Evans longbows (from Wales Archery) at around the 50# @ 28" mark and all six of us longbow archers are bowman, 2 of us in our first longbow season.

With mine I am point on the top of the boss at 100yds, centre of gold at 80yds and have rubber band sight marks down to 40yds which is as close as I dare go with this bow.

Karl

Berk

Thank you all.

Nice!

I couldn't imagine shooting >50m without a sight, so anyone who can do that is better than me
Like Raven's_Eye said, shooting it is easy, hitting is the hard part. Though it really depends on the bow, I'm point on the boss at 80m, making that the easiest distance for me to aim at, (but not necessarily the easiest to hit).

Excellent achievement, very well done indeed.

You don't need a hugely powerful bow for 100yds, a lot of us in our club are shooting Gary Evans longbows (from Wales Archery) at around the 50# @ 28" mark and all six of us longbow archers are bowman, 2 of us in our first longbow season.

With mine I am point on the top of the boss at 100yds, centre of gold at 80yds and have rubber band sight marks down to 40yds which is as close as I dare go with this bow.

Karl
Are you using different arrows between 100 and 80 yards? at 80 yards I'm point on about 8 o'clock in the blue, at 100 yards I'm aiming at a point about 10m up the leylandii behind our field with the same arrows. My bow is ~45lbs at 31", 42lbs at my draw length of 30.25". I'm thinking of getting something about 55-60lbs.

Corax67

Same set of arrows for all distances - the difference is the bow.

I am on a 50# @ 28" drawing to 28" using a set of very closely matched 5/16" shafts wearing 100gn points & 3" parabolic feathers - spent a lot of time making the arrows and it pays off.

The reason that 4 of us in our club were prepared to get up at 5am & battle the M25 AND M4 to travel from mid Kent to Wales just to buy a longbow is because the Gary Evans bows are so darned good - we all purchased an Artisan in whatever poundage we needed and they are incredible value for money (?360 at time of purchase) as well as being darned fast with zero shock through the hand and have a lovely flat (for a longbow) shot trajectory.

I went from cloud shooting at 80yds with a good 45# bow to on the boss at 100yds with a 50# Gary Evans, it was amazing, and all of us who have these bows classified Bowman over the summer plus there is plenty of scope for us to take MB if we can dedicate the time to competition chasing - one of our guys is shooting his bow way past MB regularly at a local range.

It took me 3 arrows to fall in love with this bow and I would buy another in a heartbeat if some disaster befell it.

Karl

Berk

Same set of arrows for all distances - the difference is the bow.

I am on a 50# @ 28" drawing to 28" using a set of very closely matched 5/16" shafts wearing 100gn points & 3" parabolic feathers - spent a lot of time making the arrows and it pays off.

. . .

It took me 3 arrows to fall in love with this bow and I would buy another in a heartbeat if some disaster befell it.

Karl
That really is a flat trajectory, I'm quite amazed. I've been taking a peek at the Welsh archery shop, but I've hit my normal problem, nothing on their shelf has a max draw length past 30".

My bow is a Heritage and I'm really happy with it, especially as it's not much above 40lbs. At 80 I'm on the boss, at 60 I've got the band about an inch up the bow, then it moves up some more but I never noted it as I rarely seem to shoot closer distances (one day I'll make proper notes). It's just that 100 yard I'm aiming about here:

Which is alright once I've dialled it in after a few dozen shots, but I'm guessing that if and when I shoot elsewhere that they may not have a handy organic sight mark behind the boss.

Do you mind if I ask how much your arrows weight and what material they are?

Corax67

My arrows are made of 5/16" Port Orford Cedar (POC) measuring 29" from point to nock throat and weigh in at 22.5gr each - all were bought from a batch marked as spined 35-40 and have been tweaked to all deflect within +/- 1mm on my spine tester.

Karl