Nock Fit

wingate_52

I was wondering if my tied on nocking points were too close and affecting the nock at full draw and release. Using Easton G-nocks, there is 0.4mm clearance/gap with the string in tension on the bow, and the arrow nocked but not drawn back. When the arrow is at full draw, the nocking points may be forced into contact with the nock, exerting twisting forces on the nock and arrow on release. Beiter nocks have some string clearance on the top side of their nocks, but only a 0.3mm clearance between No.1 nocks and their served in plastic nocking points. What gaps do you archers have twixt nock and nocking point. Some are tight, and shoot well, some are loose and...

EVC

I make my thread nocking points as tight as possible (and they tend to loose a little due to nock contact.) For me the vertical variation of the arrow along the string due the fingers pinching the nocks is much more relevant than whatever the (tiny as far as I can see) contact force due to the nocking points. If that is such a great concern use only the upper nocking point.

Just my 0.02 x (favorite currency goes here).

:beer:

Elder.

DenzilS

Just for the record - I use Beiter bits, and the nocks are asymmetric. Part of the groove is angled to maintain a good fit. This does mean you need to fit them the right way around, of course.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I was told by Chris Burkhart, the guy from Magnoks, that a nocking point should allow the string to rotate in the nock without turning the arrow. And that the string should be able to tilt upwards and downwards without lifting the arrow off the rest or pressing it onto the rest. I guess that leaves the fact that you don't want the arrow sliding up and down the string, to be addressed somehow.
If you imagine the top finger is not holding any weight, you would see at full draw, the top nock point pressing down on the nock,( some nocks have a cut away there that would reduce most of the pressure) specially if it was close and high profile like a brass nock point. If the top finger holds more weight at full draw then that problem would be reduced but might still be there, specially with high profile.....
I think that low profile nock points are the way to go. If they need to be built up to keep them securely in place, then the shoulders should slope so it is low profile where contact is made with the arrow nock.