Nock groove size?

Hudzi93

Edit: long story cut short, are there any nocks for aluminium or AC arrows that have a larger string groove than the standard 0.098" large groove nocks?

Thanks

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
In Beiter terms I think you're talking about a number 3 size nock. 1 is small, 2 is large.
I don't think there is as large a range in number 3.

Last edited:

carl7

Edit: long story cut short, are there any nocks for aluminium or AC arrows that have a larger string groove than the standard 0.098" large groove nocks?

Thanks
Something I've wondered myself, one or two more sizes larger would be great. Why are they making it so you have to mess with the string serving?

Carl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My guess is that there are two sizes as there are two string sizes in more common use than the others. A thinner one for recurves and a thicker one for compounds.
There are two choices; make nocks to fit all available strings, or makes strings to fit whatever nocks are available.

carl7

My guess is that there are two sizes as there are two string sizes in more common use than the others. A thinner one for recurves and a thicker one for compounds.
There are two choices; make nocks to fit all available strings, or makes strings to fit whatever nocks are available.
Hi Geoff, yes, nock fit has been my biggest frustration. On each new pre-made string, first thing I had to do was undo the serving and wrap a smaller or larger gauge serving.

That's one reason I'm going to make my own strings. I figure if I have to undo, re-wrap the center serving, might as well make the whole string and to exact length too.

Carl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Being independent, is what I like about DIY jobs. I like the making for a start, but knowing I can have what is needed when it suits me, is like being given some free time.Making it takes an hour, waiting for one to be made and posted to me could take a week.AND, it will fit when I make it; not after I've sorted it on someone else's work.

carl7

Being independent, is what I like about DIY jobs. I like the making for a start, but knowing I can have what is needed when it suits me, is like being given some free time.Making it takes an hour, waiting for one to be made and posted to me could take a week.AND, it will fit when I make it; not after I've sorted it on someone else's work.
Yes, and in today's world where you get less and less for your money and with growing incompetence, it almost forces one to do as much as possible for themselves. Besides, DIY keeps the brain and physical skills alive not to mention the self satisfaction.

Carl

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Geoff, yes, nock fit has been my biggest frustration. On each new pre-made string, first thing I had to do was undo the serving and wrap a smaller or larger gauge serving.

That's one reason I'm going to make my own strings. I figure if I have to undo, re-wrap the center serving, might as well make the whole string and to exact length too.

Carl
That's a part of why I use Beiter nocking points. No messing around with sizing.
If you can serve the thing in, then the nocks fit.

Tuck

In Beiter terms I think you're talking about a number 3 size nock. 1 is small, 2 is large.
I don't think there is as large a range in number 3.
Beiter do a #3 nock size in a limited number of larger tube fittings.
For 22xx and above aluminium arrows, and some large carbons.
Check out the website.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Hudzi93

Thanks guys. On the topic of making your own things, I have considered buying bamboo shafts and making them up myself, but I worry about messing things up. I have a tendency to stress out over the smallest of things!! I think cutting self nocks would be the hardest part and I don't like the idea of using plastic nocks on a bamboo arrow.