nocks

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
hi, I want to makemy own longbow, I am gathering various woods to try, so far I have hawthorn oak cherry, I have feelers out for wych elm laburnum, juniper and yew. my question is about nocks, other than horn what else can be used that is allowed under the rues, ib have heard of silver (a bit rich for my tastes) can ally, brass or other metals be used. what about another much harder wood hickory?)

D

Deleted member 7654

It depends who's "rules" you are interested in.
Most rules are written by people who have no idea!
E.G NFAS states "horn" (or self nocks)... well that precludes antler and bone!! Bonkers.... mind, most people don't know the difference bertween horn and antler.
Self nocks are fine up to about 90#
Hazel is a good bow wood too although more suited to a flatter neolithic style.
Plenty of stuff on my "Bowyers Diary" and my Youtube channel if you need more info.
Del
PS. Here's a link to my ELB build along in several parts:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgG0M--KCZE&list=PLBz2tD9476KQFyMBLEylQGh952tBT_mZB
Part 9 shows doing horn nocks.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
hi del the cat, I have read the bowyers diary v1 and 2 many times, the reason behind my interest in alternate nocks is because of being a veggie and trying to avoid all animal products. although a shed antler would poss be ok (a question I need to answer for myself) I will take a look at your channel when I get a moment

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
another reason for using a nock rather than a self nock is you can more easilty shape them to allow the use of a stringer without compromising its strength. The hollow texture of antler at the base means you need to use caution when selecting material