Occasional draw hand pain

4d4m

Every once in a while I get a sudden pain my draw hand. It is in the web of the thumb, possibly the tendon that runs along the top of the thumb, but closer to the base of the thumb
It happens between 3/4 and full draw. Sometimes I get a little twinge for a couple of shots before then a big enough ouch to make me come down and restart.

I must be engaging the thumb somehow eg lifting it as if I'm trying to hitch a ride) during these draws but don't notice any difference in feeling or position until I get the pain. I usually get it with the target recurve and very rarely with the other bows (AFB and KG Osprey). For the recurve I use a Decut Rugbii tab with the little metal platform, and anchor it under the side of the jaw. So I'd notice if I was actually raising the thumb as it would contact the jaw earlier. I'm not noticing any change of hand or thumb position; as I say it feels otherwise the same as any shot.

There seems to be no pattern to it and if I consciously relax my draw hand it usually goes away again either the next draw or the one after that. It's not every end or even every session. It's rare enough to forget about it until it happens again.

Also worth noting during a shot is the only time I experience this particular pain.

Is this a common or known occurrence, or am I just weird?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You're weird ;)
Try popping your thumb on your little finger as you draw up.

steve

Is this a common or known occurrence, or am I just weird?
It's pretty common. There are a LOT of tendons in the hand/wrist operating your fingers/hand from the muscles in your forearm. These tendons run in channels and grooves in the bones. Occasionally, when you get into a particular position (as you've found) a tendon will try and "jump" out of its channel, with painful results. Whether you want to try and do something about it I'd suggest depends on your age. If you're young and it causes you real problems things can be done. If you're older you'll probably just have to live with it.
I have a similar thing in my wrist. Most of the time everything works just fine, but if I get the angle just right (or wrong depending how you look at it) it hurts so suddenly and sharply it stops me in my tracks. It happens so rarely that by the time it happens again I've forgotten all about it, so it always comes as nice surprise. I don't fall into the "young" category, so I'll live with it. :mad:

4d4m

Thanks. I'm not in the "young" category and it's not something needs anything done about really as it's infrequent. I'd also be worried of the cure causing other issues.

I wondered if there was some common thing I'm unaware of that I am doing wrong in the draw.

steve

I'd also be worried of the cure causing other issues.
The "cure" would involve surgery, which always comes with risks. I'd go with what TT suggested. If you find holding your thumb in a certain position means it doesn't hurt your problem is solved.

4d4m

The "cure" would involve surgery, which always comes with risks. I'd go with what TT suggested. If you find holding your thumb in a certain position means it doesn't hurt your problem is solved.
Yes that's what I understood you meant. As soon as I can nail down what it is I do different when it hurts, then I can stop doing it. :)