Odd arrow going left - Form issue?

RayM

Hi folks,

So I occasionally loose an arrow which ends up going left and high (of the gold) - the other arrows generally tend to land where I intend them to land. I feel that this is a problem with my form however can someone shed some light on what can cause this? (I am right handed shooting barebow). I am pushing too much with the bow hand, could it be thing my fingers on the string or a worn out tab??

I have seen various diagram on the net which show what could possibly be wrong but not sure how accurate they are so much rather ask.

-I

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
First the easy bit - rule out equipment problems - is it the same arrow every time? Even if it doesn't happen every end a crack or ding will show up form faults.
After that, do you have a tendency to pluck the string every so often?

RayM

ah - forgot to mention - its not the same arrow. As for plucking the string, I know when I have done that (unless its a more subtle)..is there anything else?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Plucking to a greater or lesser degree is usually the culprit. The next best option is to get someone to watch you. Do you use a chest guard?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Could be gripping too hard and/or not following through the shot; many drop the bow too early (like me!) and it always goes left if right handed.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
But probably not high left.

Ray does this tend to happen when you are tired or at the end of the session? Pushing too hard at the bow when you are struggling a little can push things off.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Left and high, would suggest that the draw hand is low and out to the right when the string is released. That can easily happen when contact with the face is generally fairly gentle.
Another cause could be the bow arm lifting and pushing left; that is unusual as the tendency is to drop and collapse to the right.
A longer draw on some shots could produce high arrow with the extra speed, and sometimes an extra long draw brings the draw hand away from the face.

As a way of testing ,you could put a temporary band of thread round the bow string at eye level so that at full draw the band appears just above the arrow point. That band will indicate if the draw hand drops as the band will appear closer to the arrow point. That is not allowed in competition or in scoring for any purpose other than your own peace of mind; but it is a good way to "see" how consistent the anchor point is.

RayM

But probably not high left.

Ray does this tend to happen when you are tired or at the end of the session? Pushing too hard at the bow when you are struggling a little can push things off.
No, this was during the session. I'll keep in my the bow hand - thanks!

RayM

Left and high, would suggest that the draw hand is low and out to the right when the string is released. That can easily happen when contact with the face is generally fairly gentle.
Another cause could be the bow arm lifting and pushing left; that is unusual as the tendency is to drop and collapse to the right.
A longer draw on some shots could produce high arrow with the extra speed, and sometimes an extra long draw brings the draw hand away from the face.

As a way of testing ,you could put a temporary band of thread round the bow string at eye level so that at full draw the band appears just above the arrow point. That band will indicate if the draw hand drops as the band will appear closer to the arrow point. That is not allowed in competition or in scoring for any purpose other than your own peace of mind; but it is a good way to "see" how consistent the anchor point is.
Thanks Geoff - I will try tying a string to the bow string to see how that works, I think it may be that the contact against my face is indeed gentle so something to work on tonight.