Olympic volunteers/Games makers

Dougal

I'm guessing that quite a few AIUKers will have applied to be Games makers for the Olympics. I've got an interview coming up in May, and my employer , one of the major sponsors, has "prenominated" me, so I'm confident that all will be well.
However, I saw a comment on the Archery GB website that says the archery selection events in London take place on certain dates. Does anyone know what this means?
My take on it is that to be involved SPECIFICALLY in the archery side of things, you will be selected from these two events. Anybody know for sure? or suggest who I should contact at HQ for more info?
I'll be happy to be part of the Games in any capacity...well, except football, at Hampden. My worst nightmare:scared:, but I'd be even happier to be somewhere on the field of play. I spent 5 very happy days in dinburgh last September, and would love to be directly involved again:eek:ptimist:

J

josh 77

Hi Dougal,

I'm also a hopeful Games Maker and am being considered for the Archery which is what they told me in the latest email.
As far as I'm aware, all I have to do is go to Glasgow on May 7th (on time!) for the interview and to do some other (archery related?) tasks to a high standard and impress them as much as possible haha.
After this I either get the nod to go down to London for the test event and eventually the real thing or I'll just be watching it all on TV :)

If you've applied to be a Games Maker you should be able to email them at: [email protected]

Or ring them on: 0845 402 2012

I hope you get to go, would be cool to work with some fellow archers from here :)

Dougal

Well, I got an email today offering me a job as Info point team member at Lords. Heard from a friend whos been offered team leader. All we need now is a timetable and we can sort out some accommodation (I hope)

J

josh 77

Awesome! Glad you got chosen :) Does that mean you're coming to the test event next week?
I'm going down to London next Thursday on the fabled Megabus which I imagine will be an experience lol. Would have been nice to get free accommodation for the test event but it will be worth it for the stories and people I meet.

They have given me the role of Field of Play Marshal so I guess I'll be seeing all the athletes in their matches! It would be cool to meet them too, the GB team, the Americans and the Koreans in particular :D

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Hey guys - count me in for Lords next year - I've been assigned a role in Event Services (Crowd Control, basically) and have accepted the place.

I had applied to be a field of play helper and then a team leader but as I am applying through a Sponsor's programme I can't attend any test events, so those roles will go to those who can and rightly so. On the plus side I won't be taking much time off work, as EDF Energy are giving us (there's 250 Games Makers from the company and another 250 from EDF SA around the world) a large chunk of the 10 days. I live in Bexley, and so I'll probably commute in and out - EDF are also hiring a number of properties in London but it may be a little cheeky of me to ask for a spot :cool:

Be good to meet you guys.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Dougal said:
Bexley, you say..............hmm.
got a back garden? room for a Quechua?
There's a hell of a queue. We don't know that we'll even be there - we're on a bus route to several Olympic Venues, 3 mins walk from a station with direct access to London etc. and it has been suggested that we rent our house out for the games. Bit of a dilemma, to be honest...

Dougal

Getting closer to the Games, and still not all sorted. Accommodation is OK (caravan at Abbey Wood), and finally got shifts notified last week. All 6 am starts which will be a challenge, and Karen (my caravan companion) has got all afternoon shifts!
Also been offered a role at the Paras, wheelchair tennis but I don't think I'll be accepting it. Would love to, but the extra travelling down to collect uniform, and venue visit is too much. Apparently I can't collect both uniforms at the same time because they're issued on alternate days.
I know of a few people who have dropped out due to logistical problems, and I hope that it won't have a detrimental effect on the Games.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Getting closer to the Games, and still not all sorted. Accommodation is OK (caravan at Abbey Wood), and finally got shifts notified last week. All 6 am starts which will be a challenge, and Karen (my caravan companion) has got all afternoon shifts!
Also been offered a role at the Paras, wheelchair tennis but I don't think I'll be accepting it. Would love to, but the extra travelling down to collect uniform, and venue visit is too much. Apparently I can't collect both uniforms at the same time because they're issued on alternate days.
I know of a few people who have dropped out due to logistical problems, and I hope that it won't have a detrimental effect on the Games.
I know you live in Scotland and all, but you do know Abbeywood is in Bristol....no wonder you've got travel issues!

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Popeye said:
There's a caravan site in Abbey Wood, London :cheerful:
Yep one mile north of me. Abbey Wood will also be a Crossrail station in about 2150 too.

So I'll be staying in Wembley at accommodation my company has hired - ideal for St Johns Wood. I have 6 shifts starting at 6.30, but all but one are mornings only. I.hope I can hang around to watch a bit in the arvo, or at least decamp to the Cricketer's or head back to Wembley and watch it online/red button.

Got tickets for the Paras. If all transport fails, it's an hour's stroll :cool:

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Dougal said:
@Lunk, looks like we'll be working together then!
Yes indeedy. Looking forward to meeting quite a few archery folk I've only met online. It's going to be a blast, all things considered - a bleary-eyed footweary blast!

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Got my shifts finalized and I'm not rostered on Men's Finals Day. For which I've just purchased a ticket! That's just about the perfect Olympic Archery experience all round...