One nock point or two

messyhead

I was setting up my new string today, and after using brass nocks to set the height, I replaced them with tied nocks.

After several ends, the bottom one unravelled and came off (says a lot of my tieing skills).

I shot some ends with the one nock, and my sight needed moved up.

Removing a nock must have increased string speed.

So is there a need for 2 nocks?

My understanding is that it's the top one that keeps the arrow in place anyway.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Brass nock sets do slow a string down, slightly.
If your arrows nock on the string are quite tight you can get away with one nock point. With a Med grip the string is almost parallel with the bow. However if the arrow nocks are a bit loose there is a risk the arrow may move slightly on the string at release. If you shoot 3 under the string angle through the nock is exaggerated and the risk is higher. You only need a small movement at the nock to give a large movement at the target. So if you are shooting 70m the error is

Gain = 70/(approx draw length)

Therefore error at target for a arrow nock slip of 2mm =

(70/0.7approx) * 2 = 200mm error on target face ignoring actual arrow trajectory which makes things worse still.

which will take you up into the red at 70m :)

messyhead

If your arrows nock on the string are quite tight you can get away with one nock point. With a Med grip the string is almost parallel with the bow. However if the arrow nocks are a bit loose there is a risk the arrow may move slightly on the string at release. If you shoot 3 under the string angle through the nock is exagerated and the risk is higher. You only need a small movement at the nock to give a large movement at the target. So if you are shooting 70m the error is

Gain = 70/(approx draw length)

Therefore error at target for a arrow nock slip of 2mm =

(70/0.7approx) * 2 = 200mm error on target face ignoring actual arrow trajectory which makes things worse still.

which will take you up into the red at 70m :)
It was when the lower tied nock came off that the sight needed moved. I only started adjusting my sight once I'd replaced the brass nocks.

I shoot with 2 fingers below, and I did notice my tab was against the bottom of the nock.

I think I'll replace the lower nock just to be sure it's not adding any unwanted movement.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I agree with Whitehart. I tried shooting with just a top nock for some time, and others noticed that the back of the arrow was slipping down slightly at full draw - enough to affect my sight marks.

jonUK76

TBH the arrow slipping a little down the string during the draw/release does sound more likely than a significant gain in speed from losing one tie on nock which would weigh (at a guess), a grain or less. That would cause your arrows to go high in general. The fact it fell off might not just be your tieing skills, perhaps pressure on the nock point from the nock at full draw caused it to untie?

If you aren't doing it already, a bit of superglue over the tie on nock points makes them less likely to fall apart.

messyhead

TBH the arrow slipping a little down the string during the draw/release does sound more likely than a significant gain in speed from losing one tie on nock which would weigh (at a guess), a grain or less. That would cause your arrows to go high in general. The fact it fell off might not just be your tieing skills, perhaps pressure on the nock point from the nock at full draw caused it to untie?

If you aren't doing it already, a bit of superglue over the tie on nocks makes them less likely to fall apart.
Yeah, now that it's been mentioned, I think that's the likely cause.

I usually do superglue, but I tied them on the day and didn't have any.

I tie them by wrapping over a loop, then pulling that through. But I don't think I pulled the loop through fully. On my old string, the tied nocks had been on for 18 months and didn't have any signs of wear.

tan.k.sun.7

It was when the lower tied nock came off that the sight needed moved. I only started adjusting my sight once I'd replaced the brass nocks.

I shoot with 2 fingers below, and I did notice my tab was against the bottom of the nock.

I think I'll replace the lower nock just to be sure it's not adding any unwanted movement.

A couple of drops of Super Glue would stop the tie on nocks unravelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThomVis

Brass nock = 6gn each.

I use 2 nocking points, tied on with Brownell #4, alternating half-knots above and below the string, tied off with a double overhand stopper knot. No glue, just burn and press the ends onto the knot.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I like two nocking points purely because, if one moves, you can tell straight away by the gap opening up. With one nocking point, if it gradually slides up the string you cant tell apart from with the bracing height gauge.