Pannier bags to hold archery kit?

Mistake

Ironman
I've been cycling a lot recently; work, shops etc. Generally to build fitness, but also to help combat stress and depression etc.

I have a nice pure road bike that I use for long distance riding on my own time and an old commuter bike with pannier mounts.

Is there anyone out there that knows where to get big pannier bags from? I've got some normal sized ones for shopping etc, but I can't find anything big enough to hold my riser (25" CXT) in any dimension.

Thanks in advance :)

Corax67

If you cannot find large panniers why not pick up a backpack/rucksack for the riser & limbs.

My kit fits into my old Berghaus 35 litre day sack with no problem - my riser is a 25" CXT with medium SF carbon limbs - it is a long narrow rucksack that I used for climbing.

Karl

ben tarrow

If you cannot find large panniers why not pick up a backpack/rucksack for the riser & limbs.

My kit fits into my old Berghaus 35 litre day sack with no problem - my riser is a 25" CXT with medium SF carbon limbs - it is a long narrow rucksack that I used for climbing.

Karl
There are archery specific backpacks and "rolls" available at all good retailers. Amazingly capacious.

Mistake

Ironman
There are archery specific backpacks and "rolls" available at all good retailers. Amazingly capacious.
The problem with using my current archery backpack is one of centre of mass and gravity. I can cycle to archery using my current backpack, but it's also much higher than I'm comfortable with, and I'm generally a lot less stable on my bike.

Getting the kit lower down and over the back wheel means I'll be more stable and less susceptible to wind/ generally falling over

Corax67

I know what you are saying, my Easton backpack is a nightmare to ride with as it won't sit nicely at all but my Berghaus is a joy as the weight mostly sits over my hips because the long straps allow massive adjustment.

Deepest panniers I've seen were Ortlieb dry bag panniers, the type that cycle couriers use but I don't think they come particularly cheap.

Karl

Mark31121

Ironman
Would a roll bag going over the top of the panniers work? It was something I was going to do on my motorbike, but I had an accident before I tried.

IC3NI

Hey, I had the same issue a while back as I cycle pretty much everywhere, I looked for a pannier but the size is the issue, the best I found was an ex royal mail pannier, very tall and would be ideal, in my area at least they no longer let the posties cycle so maybe you'd find an auction or sale by royal mail or look on the usual places, In the end I made a lightweight leather backpack from an old thick leather jacket and stitched with paracord, it takes my takedown and all the bits i need but the quiver has to be strapped to it when I cycle or am on foot, i now just use a small pannier for things like food, drinks, a coat etc etc, but yeah...Royal mail pannier would be my advice, good luck.

Hawkmoon

If you take your current backpack along to a cycle shop you might find a big pannier bag that it will fit into, so you just drop the backpack in the pannier, cycle to the club and then take it out.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't know where you are based, but where I live the local sail maker will do bags; I have a compound bag they made to my spec.