Perfect length arrows for a junior or add a few inches for growth.

philhoney

Hi,
One of our beginners has just joined our club and has started using his older brothers take down recurve with 24lb limbs. His AMO drawlength is about 23 ins but with a safety margin allowing for growth I suggested that he buys arrow cut to 25ins.
According to trhe Easton arrow selection chart he needs 1413 or 1416 arrows. Am I right in suggesting that the 1416 will be less likley to bend than the 1413s without much loss of distance.
Phil

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I think that the 1413s would have to be Jazz, but you can get PlatPlus or similar in 1416 and I think the push-fit nock would sway me as much as anything. The 1416 wall is a bit thicker so the arrows should be tougher and there won't be a whole lot of difference in the weight. Realistically they're shooting about 18lb so big distances (past 40 yards) are going to be a bit of a struggle whatever they use.

Is your beginner likely to be on the edge of a growth spurt? Maybe you could go to cutting at 26" on the 1416s, they'll probably still spine OK with those limbs at about 22# if the draw length shoots up.

philhoney

Hi,
Thanks for confirming that.
I have been urging him to leave off buying new arrows for a year or two and use a club set. That way we would have a better idea of how he is growing both in height and strength.
Phil