Phooeys Tales From Astride The Line

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
consistency- never chase an error.
if you have a bad loose or whatever and it goes in the gold dont expect the good arrow to go the same way
You have already said it, consistency gets you good groups and that will include what others see as poor technique appied consistently so get your repeatability honed and then work on the tweaks

brman

Congratulations on the 252 :)

Last week one of the guys lent me a tripod so I could video myself shooting. I have to say it was a bit of a revelation! It is all very well being told what you are doing wrong but it is so much better if you can actually see it ;)
As a result, and after a bit of discussion, I have changed my draw technique. Previously my draw was pretty flat - ie bow comes up, draw elbow goes out horizontally and back round as I get to the anchor position. The trouble appeared to be that this naturally twisted my shoulders out and back in line with the target and I was not consistently getting them back in line. I could feel this before I released - everything just felt a bit unstable. It also meant (as my elbow was out horizontally as I drew) that I was using my bicep to pull the nock into my anchor position. I think this meant I still had tension in my bicep on release so I was not using my back muscles properly on release.
What was suggested was to bring the bow up as normal but the draw elbow going up in front of (and close to) my face, then using my back to pull the elbow down and in line. So, the draw elbow goes up and over rather than out and round if you see what I mean.
I still need to practice as it feels very unnatural to me and I often get confused where my arms are going and have to come down and start again but, if I manage to get it right, it appeared to improved my grouping dramatically. I have wondered if it would help me getting one of those elbow training aid things to help me get my forearm properly in line with the arrow. Or maybe just some practice with a stretch band?

I don't know if any of that is relevant to you though?

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks guys
And the consistency issue raised its ugly mug on Tuesday some really good ends mixed with have you held a bow before? mainly due to draw length variance, very frustrating as I?m far enough along to know when I?m doing it generally just as I release and think idiot why did you do that! But it?s practice and practice more I guess.
On the kit front I?ve just spent half hour widening my nocks so they drop off with a tap so theres one less variable in play, and impatiently waiting for an order from Merlin with a button plunger and a tab (have been using a glove) that?s not too expensive so I?m happy carving it about to try and make it comfortable to shoot with, as every tab I?ve tried so far doesn?t feel right
Matt

brman

If it is any consolation I did 24 ends at 30meters tonight and my scores ranged from 32 to 51 per end. Consistent it was not...... :(

brman

Sounds like my evening at 40yds, best described as a learning experience or test of character
yes, I think my learning experience was that I should not go shooting when I am tired and hungry. But then I am always tired and hungry..... ;)
btw. I think I failed the test of character - I was getting a bit grumpy by the end!
Still, at least we can look forward to being better next time :)

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Oops been a bit busy to update so a quick run through is needed.
Got my first medal in the club outdoor comp, just for being best novice but hey it’s shiny and it’s mine.
And recently upped my limb poundage with a lovely pair of 30# Kap windstorm 2s, the old limbs are being sold to a work mate who’s just finished the beginners course and joined the club, I’d probably get more for them on flea bay but I’d rather help out someone who’s where I was a few months ago.
Oh yeah and kind of bought myself a rather gorgeous 48# big stick that shoots beautifully and a dozen matched french seeking missiles will be made by yours truly whilst recovering from impending knee surgery.
The last updatey bit being the first round of the club Portsmouth was today and I posted a respectable 484, the only irritation being the 4th dozen where I apparently forgot how to shoot! The 4 other sets of 12 averaged 105 so that tells you how bad it was.
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Right it’s been a while due to the aforementioned knee related jiggery pokery, but now after 4 weeks of snails pace recovery I’ve managed to start shooting again with not bad results although as expected the form has suffered, which doesn’t bode well for tomorrow’s 2nd round of the club Portsmouth series so I don’t think I’ll be scaring 500 this time around.
the mate from work took a trip to Merlin a few weeks back and now has some very nice shiny kit married to my old limbs, and I did get a little kit envy with his win & win riser so may have accidentally whilst Christmas shopping ordered a new riser
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well Saturday went better than expected a 486 Portsmouth on the 3rd session back after my lay off.
My lovely new midnight black Mybo elite riser has finally arrived, lovely in the hand and purty too, the only slight problem being during the whole alignment and set up ready for her debut on the shooting line I’ve only gone and lost my spare arrow rest and sticky bits so checking centre shot and mocking point will have to wait until after a rapid trip to the local archery emporium tomorrow morning

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
And so today is the third round of the club Portsmouth which could be interesting due to some midweek adjustments to my anchor point, which when I get it right is a joy to behold the arrow landing middlish but when I draw even a little short tends to drop like a toddler in a tantrum, here’s hoping to at least be near my pb while sharing a target with a guy who regularly shoots north of 500 barebow

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
So the result of the Portsmouth are in and a new PB of ...........488.
Yep the same 2 point improvement carrying on from the last round, although I’m fairly sure most of what I class as dropped point are due to minor variations in draw length.
But relatively pleased with only 8 arrows outside the 7 zone, more arrows a week I think practice practice practice if I am to achieve my decided upon (yesterday) goal of regularly shooting around 500 by the end of the indoor season, although at least one club member is mystified by my refusal to claim a Portsmouth badge until I hit my target 500
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Well done Matt, you're making good progress (y)

There's a difference between achieving a score, and getting a badge - I reached 500 a couple of months ago, but my quiver still only sports a 425 badge. Some clubs are better than others about it.

But when was the last time you judged an archer by their badges? I think they might make an impression on non-bowmen but I'm yet to meet a shooter who gives a damn, really.

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well done Matt, you're making good progress (y)

There's a difference between achieving a score, and getting a badge - I reached 500 a couple of months ago, but my quiver still only sports a 425 badge. Some clubs are better than others about it.

But when was the last time you judged an archer by their badges? I think they might make an impression on non-bowmen but I'm yet to meet a shooter who gives a damn, really.
Thanks Lion
Ours is good for badges as long as you know to ask for them, I’m not all that bothered about them unless it’s something I see as a landmark myself, some do collect them like stamps but each to their own.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I love badges. I've got a 252 at 10 yard badge (orange) which was the subject of much envy among way better archers during the tournament yesterday. As I pointed out, I'm nowhere near any badges at the long distances yet, so I'm making the most of the short ones.

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
I love badges. I've got a 252 at 10 yard badge (orange) which was the subject of much envy among way better archers during the tournament yesterday. As I pointed out, I'm nowhere near any badges at the long distances yet, so I'm making the most of the short ones.
Hi Emma,
My only badge is a 30 yard 252 and that’s from the first club comp I entered, I mean no disparagement of the badge system as it does create a sense of achievement especially for archers like me that are not going to be scaring the top of the leaderboard anytime soon, it’s just the 500 Portsmouth badge that I want probably because It’s the target in my head that means I’m half decent at this stick flinging lark 😁
Wait till next indoor seasonI’ll be wanting a 450 badge with my longbow 😂

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm seriously hunting a 500 Portsmouth myself. Hopefully my recent improvement (resumption?) in form means it's back within reach again. My previous PB was 482, so not an impossible distance away, although it has felt that way lately.
As I said, I'm in the business of collecting badges, so I've got all the Portsmouths up to 475 proudly displayed on ribbons attached to my quiver.
I think displaying badges in profusion may possibly be a county thing in Leicestershire; every tournament I go to, almost every archer has a plentiful display. One old boy actually had a string of those metal badges that link to each other that trailed on the floor from his belt.
I can't possibly get anywhere near the top of the leader board - for one thing, Lizzie Warner is in our county, so as soon as her name pops up on a target list, all the rest of us know we're not going to win (it'd be annoying if she wasn't so lovely), and there's a whole list of names that I know I can't 'beat'. But I'm finewith that as long as I've made a good account of myself within my abilities and expectations.
I'm also after a 40yd 252. I have actually shot it twice, but my old club wouldn't accept less than 2 'official' scores for a 252 badge, and since I didn't shoot it at the new club, I can't claim it there either without shooting it again! Although admittedly I wouldn't be happy claiming it without being able to shoot it again.
High hopes for me, looking forward to being able to get out to the field more in the summer.

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
I'm seriously hunting a 500 Portsmouth myself. Hopefully my recent improvement (resumption?) in form means it's back within reach again. My previous PB was 482, so not an impossible distance away, although it has felt that way lately.
As I said, I'm in the business of collecting badges, so I've got all the Portsmouths up to 475 proudly displayed on ribbons attached to my quiver.
I think displaying badges in profusion may possibly be a county thing in Leicestershire; every tournament I go to, almost every archer has a plentiful display. One old boy actually had a string of those metal badges that link to each other that trailed on the floor from his belt.
I can't possibly get anywhere near the top of the leader board - for one thing, Lizzie Warner is in our county, so as soon as her name pops up on a target list, all the rest of us know we're not going to win (it'd be annoying if she wasn't so lovely), and there's a whole list of names that I know I can't 'beat'. But I'm finewith that as long as I've made a good account of myself within my abilities and expectations.
I'm also after a 40yd 252. I have actually shot it twice, but my old club wouldn't accept less than 2 'official' scores for a 252 badge, and since I didn't shoot it at the new club, I can't claim it there either without shooting it again! Although admittedly I wouldn't be happy claiming it without being able to shoot it again.
High hopes for me, looking forward to being able to get out to the field more in the summer.
It’s not just a Leicestershire thing we have archers with a permanent limb from all the badges and medals hanging off the quiver 😁
Good luck in the quest for 500 and the 252 when we emerge blinking into the great outdoors.
Yep I know the feeling on leaderboards I’m just chuffed not to be last in our Portsmouth series so far, although I’m not so sure about my chances in the upcoming Worcester
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Wooooooooo get in there, just back from a club night and only went and bagged a 506 Portsmouth sadly not eligible for the badge as I scored it on an app myself.
But I’ve done it once and I’ll bloody do it again!