Pinching loose nocks

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Hi All,

Bit of a random question, but recently I was sorting through a set of arrows and found two that I remembered having nocks that wouldn't grip the string enough, you'd literally start to move the string and they'd fall off, I'm sure it's happened to most of us at one time in our archery lives.

Anyway as I was getting into a good rhythm I proceeded to shoot said arrows pinching the nock light between my index and middle finger (it may be of use here to say that I shoot with a glove not a tab). Now I wasn't expecting much from these but they grouped with the rest, and I recalled when I first discovered these I was low on that set so was forced to do that and again they'd group with the rest (sometimes even landing better scores).

Anyone else encountered this? Or offering any explanation as to when pinching that on courses we're told not to do there are no ill effects?

D

Deleted member 7654

A bit like life... we are "told to do" lots of stuff that is total b0ll0cks. (tuck your shirt in, cut your hair etc etc)
Mind we are also told to do stuff that saves our lives... glance over your right shoulder before overtaking or manouvering on your Lambretta (sniff sniff... how I miss poor old scooterbike, who has long since gone to scooter heaven :( )
The hard thing is sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Del (hmmm tad philosophical this morning... ;0 )

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sometimes pinching the nock causes sore fingers. The speeding arrow gives the finger a sort of rope burn. With a glove, the leather takes the burns. Sometimes, pinching causes the arrow to lift off the rest; better avoided.
I guess it is possible to pinch the nock in such a way that it holds it in place without side effects.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Sometimes pinching the nock causes sore fingers. The speeding arrow gives the finger a sort of rope burn. With a glove, the leather takes the burns. Sometimes, pinching causes the arrow to lift off the rest; better avoided.
I guess it is possible to pinch the nock in such a way that it holds it in place without side effects.
Oh probably should have mentioned, shooting longbow, don't have a rest save my finger. I've seen people pinch and the arrow swings out forcing them to come down. Think of it more like get a pencil(or pen) and just pinch the end between index and 2nd finger, now if the pencil is horizontal then the grip is too much, if it sags and you can move it easily back and forth with the other than then that is the pressure I'm talking about. Just enough that the arrow stays in place.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Raven's_Eye,
I was thinking of reasons why we get told not to pinch, when I replied. I think it is easily possible to get away with a slight pinch and do no damage to scores... but I wouldn't teach that.heehee

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
like everything else, it is about consistency. If you can repeat something that isnt the done thing consistently then the results will be the same. Commonly you will group in a different place but you can then adjust the group position by altering your aim. Problems arise when the pressure varies, the nock tension on the other arrows causes those arrows to a slightly different direction etc and you end up chasing the errors rather than correcting them.