Plantar Fasciitis...

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
... Hope I've spelt it right. Very painful. Affects the archery of course, and also normal walking is very painful.

Have seen the GP - he suggested painkillers. I "suggested" that I had used them continuously for four weeks already ! He suggested some sort of foot support. I asked what type and he said "well, you know...." Aaargh!

If anyone has suffered from it, what treatment did you use and was it effective?

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've suffered with this on and off since childhood. I asked my GP to refer me to a biomechanic who made me bespoke orthotics. It was an interesting experience, as he took my foot/ankle history. Long story short, I've had serious problems/injuries since birth that have compounded the problem. The orthotics haven't cured the problem, but have really helped with archery specifically.

In the meantime, there is a plantar fasciitis splint you can wear to bed that puts the feet in a better position. Also, avoid walking anywhere (even at home) without footwear, even slippers.

I know how awful this condition is, but you can overcome it!

Roadiefromheck

I get it all the time to hooktonboy the best solution I found is good walking boots don't cheap on them you'll notice a difference with a padded insole, one of those one's that says it eliminates odours and a heel only support from boots the chemist. While this eases off the problem a bit but not completely I could manage a full 7 dozen comp where as before after 4 dozen or so I would be sending other people to score for me.

The strange thing is the more you walk the easier it becomes, rest is terrible for it. I've got an anti inflammatory gel which applies direct to try I'll let you know if it's a breakthrough.

Posted at the same time as clickerati and they are bang on with not going barefoot even indoors.

Archermedes

I too have suffered from this and agree that it can be very painful. I have inserts for my "every-day" shoes and shoot in the trainers I bought for jogging that have been gait analysed. I have been pain free for about 6 months now. Another trick to remember is that your heel needs to be an inch higher than your toes for proper support for the arch of the foot. DO NOT WEAR FLAT SHOES.

Hope this helps!

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
that's interesting because i find trainers difficult to wear and was told not to wear them for long periods. i do wear flat shoes, though, because i have very limited range of motion in my ankles that leads to other issues. this is why i suggest you get referred to a biomechanic. they will check your balance, arch, foot stability, inversion/eversion, etc. we're all different and will have different issues, so it's best to have a professional advise you.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks very much for the input. I've acquired a pair of orthotic supports from a well known footcare company - will give them a try and see how they go for a while. Hoping to be able to shoot a York in a month or so, so we'll see if they work ;)

Stikphlinger

Had this really bad starting about four years ago - I used to grimace before putting my weight on my right foot first thing in the morning, as I knew what was coming next! Amen to good walking boots rather than trainers and to gel support insoles for shoes (though mine are boots IUKWIM). Agree, resting the foot any more than you have to just makes it worse - active gentle walking really helps, but I would think avoid pastimes with high impact on feet, like squash. Ibuprofen gel helps, but don't shell out on expensive name brands - the supermarket own label stuff works just as well and it's the massaging it in that does as much to help anyway. One thing I tried that appeared to work for me, but I have no other supporting evidence for: I was recommended by a traditional remedies enthusiast friend to massage in a gel containing witchhazel usually sold for treating stings, zits and bruises (do try a small area first in case you're alergic to it, which can happen I'm told).

Reg

AIUK Saviour
If anyone has suffered from it, what treatment did you use and was it effective?
Done the lot - painkillers, insoles, physio, steroid injections and eventually an operation (both feet) after the swelling got so bad I'd lose the feeling in my toes. Almost 10 years on and I still get it if I'm on my feet all day. As you can tell I had a pretty extreme case and not much did any good (operation really is last resort) - when it first started I did get some small amount of relief using ibubrofen gel and rolling a golf ball under my foot as a massager. Hope yours is short-lived and you feel better soon.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I had it really bad for about for about 6 months, could hardly walk! I got some quality (expensive) full insoles for my shoes from Boots and it is now pretty much gone :)

Yew Selfbow

4 pronged attack ....
1. Stretch the plantarfascia, the plantaponeurosis and the tendo-achilles gently, several times a day
2. Small non compressable heel raise in the shoe. plantar flexes the mid foot through the mid tarsal joint to reduce fascia tension.
3. Anti inflamatory medication ( first consult your GP)
4. Visit your Podiatrist