Point weights for 70-90m

assybish

I am trying to fine tune for 70 and 90 m and get the highest sight marks .

I use 40# limbs ( wiawis one or KG nexgen) at 29.75" amo draw on 25" riser.

Arrows are VAP 500 or 600 spine tuned by length and point weight bareshaft at 40-70m to fall in centre of fletched groups.

All fine so far BUT then I look at the effect of point weight on arrow speed and grouping and sight marks at 70-90m and am unsure of the best way to go ( I don't have the money to keep buying sets of arrows cutting points to weight and altering shaft length to get the best for my bow at these longer distances)

So I am seeking the experience of forum members ...

Should I go for lower point weights = higher fps ( more drift and softer spine) or higher point weights = lower fps but more inertia and momentum?

I use 140 gr points at present but dropping this by 20 gr had improved the sight mark at 70m .

I know there is no perfect answer just interested to learn of other archers experiences :)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Normally I would not recommend dropping point weight unless you're not actually making the distance... but 140 grains? Is that in the recommended range for those shafts?

assybish

Normally I would not recommend dropping point weight unless you're not actually making the distance... but 140 grains? Is that in the recommended range for those shafts?
yes .. it is indeed and is actually a VAP point ... break off for those shafts

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
The point weight range for these arrows is 80-140grains. I don't think I would have any hesitation dropping to 100grains unless the arrows stopped bareshaft grouping with that point weight.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I probably wouldn't want to go below 110.
Usually when people are talking about decreasing point weight, they don't have that kind of headroom.

Going down to 120 sounds fine (so long as it still works as a setup)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I probably wouldn't want to go below 110.
Usually when people are talking about decreasing point weight, they don't have that kind of headroom.
Going down to 120 sounds fine (so long as it still works as a setup)
interesting...
I dropped from 120 to 90 about 4 months ago simply to get point on at 50m, FOC 13.5% I re did my bare shaft and it was fine. However in these 4 months I have improved immensely and my draw weight could now go up 4lb. I may retry the 120.
Rik, the 'headroom' you mention, is that a tuning headroom, stability or something else?

assybish

That's about where I'm at I think. I am trying to get full extension sight marks all the way 18-90m but suspect I won't get 90m without pulling the extension bar in ... Partly due to using a Shibuya carbon ultra 2 sight .. no idea why they shortened the scale ! . I was unsure abut 100-120 gr region . I can tune the 500 spine with 120 and the 600 spine with 120 and shortening the shaft .. using AAE magentic clicker so can play with shaft length easily . Thanks Rik for the imput. What do you mean by headroom?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
interesting...
I dropped from 120 to 90 about 4 months ago simply to get point on at 50m, FOC 13.5% I re did my bare shaft and it was fine. However in these 4 months I have improved immensely and my draw weight could now go up 4lb. I may retry the 120.
Rik, the 'headroom' you mention, is that a tuning headroom, stability or something else?
Something else :) Take Easton shafts as an example: stock monobloc points go up to 120 grains. Recommended weights are usually 90 to 110. Simply having the luxury of being able to play with heavier weights in a standard pile is novel...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That's about where I'm at I think. I am trying to get full extension sight marks all the way 18-90m but suspect I won't get 90m without pulling the extension bar in ... Partly due to using a Shibuya carbon ultra 2 sight .. no idea why they shortened the scale ! . I was unsure abut 100-120 gr region . I can tune the 500 spine with 120 and the 600 spine with 120 and shortening the shaft .. using AAE magentic clicker so can play with shaft length easily . Thanks Rik for the imput. What do you mean by headroom?
Slightly contrarian question here: is having the sightbar all the way out for 90m what you want?
Arguments against are to do with not just whether you're compromising the arrow performance, but also to do with things like sight picture.
If you find grouping improves with the lighter point, then sure, go for it.
(Headroom question answered on the previous post...)