Popinjay archery

Wildcat

Hello all
Dose anyone know where you can purchase birds and equipment for popinjay archery or if anyone knows the best way to make them. Thanks in advance.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Hello all
Dose anyone know where you can purchase birds and equipment for popinjay archery or if anyone knows the best way to make them. Thanks in advance.
The last time I did popinjay the "birds" were made from bottle cleaner brushes. The handles just get a loop put in them so they can slide on to the prongs. I guess you'll just have to DIY it

http://www.scottisharchery.org.uk/awardspics/Popinjay_Mast_lg.jpg

The G.N.A.S. rules are based on an old wireless mast I believe.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
when I did research for this for our website this was what I found (as MK1 says)

The variety of Papingo shoots in enormous because there's no universally agreed formal or rules for this sort of competition and each club that runs one is usually following a local traditional format. Lets take one example as representative and examine that...

The Ancient Society of Kilwinning Archers (ASKA) has existed off and on since the end of the 15th century with the earliest recorded event being in 1483. The event held each year in June requires archers to shoot vertically from the foot of an Abbey tower to dislodge a wooden pigeon (or Doo in Scots) from its perch some 30m above them. While any bow can be used in the ranking round help to determine who gets to shoot first at the Doo, the bow used to ding doun the doo must be a longbow. For safeties sake the arrows are rubber tipped as skyward launched arrows seem to have a strange homing functionality for unprotected, unobservant and unaware archers.

Modern popinjay is another version of this vertical archery and is included in the GNAS rules. The GNAS Popinjay rules are based on a mast that was made by an enterprising archer from a surplus U.S. Army wireless aerial. This mast is no longer in existence so the rules are somewhat unique! Efforts to track down popinjay in Britain other than the ancient Scottish tradition have unearthed mention of one Club in England that include Popinjay in a 4 discipline Easter shoot each year.

so in other words get inventive. There is no "proper" way to do things ... in fact do a good job and we'll copy you! Good luck.

Wildcat

Hello
Thanks MK1 and rabid hamster may well have to make something up as can't find anything and this would be something different to put on our archery field. Just thought if there was equipment for popinjay out there it would be better to start of with. Looks like I Will just have to look at the rules and make something up.

dell

when I did research for this for our website this was what I found (as MK1 says)
Modern popinjay is another version of this vertical archery and is included in the GNAS rules. The GNAS Popinjay rules are based on a mast that was made by an enterprising archer from a surplus U.S. Army wireless aerial. This mast is no longer in existence so the rules are somewhat unique! Efforts to track down popinjay in Britain other than the ancient Scottish tradition have unearthed mention of one Club in England that include Popinjay in a 4 discipline Easter shoot each year.[/I]

so in other words get inventive. There is no "proper" way to do things ... in fact do a good job and we'll copy you! Good luck.
I was a member of that club, we ran Popinjay for several years, but then had problems getting our mast erected safely so it no longer happens, plus the original club no longer exists because of venue problems.
I think our county record is about 4 points!
It was certainly good fun at the time. We did target, field, clout and popinjay all in one day.

Hood70

Hi Wildcat, on some roves the easiest way we make a popinjay mark. the mark is a tethered kite. Suspend a line with bloons from the kite, put powder in the bloons so when hit you get a good effect, works well

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Wildcat, on some roves the easiest way we make a popinjay mark. the mark is a tethered kite. Suspend a line with bloons from the kite, put powder in the bloons so when hit you get a good effect, works well

Attachments

Mad Wally

Hi,
Popinjay is very popular in Belgium. Google images: "staande wip schieten"
It may also be the place to buy equipment or just get information and inspiration.

Alison

After cursing the AGB website in another thread, I have just found something useful on it. "Portillo meets the papingo" on BBC 2's Great British Railway Journeys on 5th January.

D

Deleted member 7654

After cursing the AGB website in another thread, I have just found something useful on it. "Portillo meets the papingo" on BBC 2's Great British Railway Journeys on 5th January.
Yeah saw it last night. Nicely done, it's a good program that.
I'm assuming they are using limited draw weight bows, as it looked to be in a built up area. Prob 30# max I'd guess.
Nice to see the bird knocked down in slo-mo
Del

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Yeah saw it last night. Nicely done, it's a good program that.
I'm assuming they are using limited draw weight bows, as it looked to be in a built up area. Prob 30# max I'd guess.
Nice to see the bird knocked down in slo-mo
Del

Only longbow allowed - they are on the steps of an Abbey in its own grounds - the graveyard! Depends which way the wind is blowing which way the arrows come down - there is plenty of space.

Riceburner

The Green park archery weekend has a Popinjay target - it's several balloons tethered to a 30foot high mast.

One year I had access to a low-level-aerial-camera mast (attached to van) and we used that - after the scoring was done, we put it up to max height: 25 meters (7 stories!) Excellent fun!

I always find it easier to shoot from a kneeling position - you've a more stable base.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1107250722797.424431.652647796&type=3&theater

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Nice find Joe. Horizontal is much easier to do as you just wheel it out :)

briantodd

put one on and I will come and try it no problem, and im sure I could get about 6 others too we do all sorts of archery, flight, field, target and clout:)