[Horsebow] Portsmouth score on Horsebow?

tony08

My main bow style is Barebow recurve but I also shoot Horsebow with woodies. I just wondered whether anyone keeps Portsmouth scores. I've managed to get 436 with the Horsebow, which is about 100 less than I would expect to get Barebow on a really good night.

How far can you take it?. Does anyone have any great Portsmouth scores?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I'm not sure about horsebows, but I would probably equate them similar to longbows. Perhaps slightly highier due to the more efficient design, though from what I've heard if your shooting it with a thumb ring you are comparing yourself to compounds as a thumb ring seems to count as a release aid (though I don't understand why)

tony08

I'm not sure about horsebows, but I would probably equate them similar to longbows. Perhaps slightly highier due to the more efficient design, though from what I've heard if your shooting it with a thumb ring you are comparing yourself to compounds as a thumb ring seems to count as a release aid (though I don't understand why)
No, I don't use a thumb ring. I tried something like it once and had the feeling my thumb was about to be ripped out. It's a 50lbs bow and for me at least, too much strain on just a thumb.

electricpiglet

So do you shoot Mediterranean release, and right or left of the riser on the horsebow? (if you're right handed) a thumb ring is regarded as a release aid? Surely it's just a different type of tab, as the locking fingers hold the release over the thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riceburner

So do you shoot Mediterranean release, and right or left of the riser on the horsebow? (if you're right handed) a thumb ring is regarded as a release aid? Surely it's just a different type of tab, as the locking fingers hold the release over the thumb.

A thumbRING (as opposed to a thumb TAB) will actually take the weight of the draw and transfer it to the bones in the thumb, because of the way the ring locks into the thumb joint, so it effectively acts as a release aid. The thumb is still taking the draw weight, but through the bone structure, not through the tendon/musculature which isn't (generally) capable of holding so much weight.

different people shoot in different ways, but generally speaking, shooting a horsebow with fingers is done just like shooting a long-bow, although I have heard of some people shooting Med-loose with the arrow on the same side of the bow. If it works for them, it works for them and no-one should tell them different.

I've tried drawing my 60lb Mind50 with a thumbTAB and I can't get my hand to my face before my thumb simply gives up and the string tears out of my hand. (still capable of hitting the boss at 15yrds though).

electricpiglet

I understand. Strange with it being extremely traditional amongst the amigo loans et al. So if you embraced and enjoyed using a thumb ring on a horsebow, if you wanted to transfer that over to using a recurve barebow it would be illegal in competition?

Riceburner

I understand. Strange with it being extremely traditional amongst the amigo loans et al. So if you embraced and enjoyed using a thumb ring on a horsebow, if you wanted to transfer that over to using a recurve barebow it would be illegal in competition?

It's a confused issue in all the main organisations (IIRC). AGB treat the thumbring as a release aid, so it's 'illegal' in all classes except the compound ones. NFAS is similar. Most Horsebows are a laminate construction so don't fit into any of the 'traditional' bow classes and end up within (in NFAS) Hunting Tackle - where Med Loose is mandatory.

I think it's mainly due to the classes having grown up around European shooting from the mid-19th century onwards, when anything that wasn't 'Victorian long-bow' was completely ignored. The class structure then having come about as bow technology evolved from long-bows upwards. Although the recurve idea came from the eastern bows, the original bows were never really incorporated into the class structures. Nowadays people simply don't want to have 'yet' another class. (and I can understand THAT argument!)

tony08

At 20 yards, its three fingers under (well under) string walking + some face walking to bring the pile on the gold. Possible even on a short bow.

So... scores anyone? Just looking for some inspiration. :pie:

Riceburner

At 20 yards, its three fingers under (well under) string walking + some face walking to bring the pile on the gold. Possible even on a short bow.

So... scores anyone? Just looking for some inspiration. :pie:

I've not shot a target round for a few years now! sorry! :D

(I stick to NFAS field).

electricpiglet

So a horsebow is for personal pleasure if there's no proper category? Seems unfair to be lumped in with the X-shooting compound guys when a huge part is instinctive, only because a thumb ring is classed as a release aid.

tony08

So a horsebow is for personal pleasure if there's no proper category? Seems unfair to be lumped in with the X-shooting compound guys when a huge part is instinctive, only because a thumb ring is classed as a release aid.
I agree. There's waaaay more tech in a compound than just its release aid in any case, so there's really no comparison.

flook

just started playing with a horsebow, med release initially, never shot barebow before and scoring around 350 ish on a portsmouth (recurve normally around the 560 mark)

got a couple of thumb rings to play with, only had 5 minutes so far, 6 arrows, 3 in the target, 2 fell off the string and one scooted along the floor as my thumb said sod that :)

very difficult, only a 40lb bow and I got nowhere near full draw. may be a while before I trouble the scorers

chuffalump

I've been playing with mine a bit more recently. Enough that I'm worried about my recurve freestyle form. I've started three fingers under but with a side of face anchor. The arrow nock about level with my eye. First step on the way (hopefully) to my ear.

I ordered a thumbring but the first was too big and the next size down was too small.

Bit more practise before I try a full scored round.

GoneBad

I've tried drawing my 60lb Mind50 with a thumbTAB and I can't get my hand to my face before my thumb simply gives up and the string tears out of my hand
got a couple of thumb rings to play with, only had 5 minutes so far, 6 arrows, 3 in the target, 2 fell off the string and one scooted along the floor as my thumb said sod that :)

very difficult, only a 40lb bow and I got nowhere near full draw. may be a while before I trouble the scorers
Just a thought, you guys are wrapping your index finger around the tip of your thumb as you draw, not trying to draw with just the bent thumb?

Riceburner

Just a thought, you guys are wrapping your index finger around the tip of your thumb as you draw, not trying to draw with just the bent thumb?
yep.

it fookin hurts when you have 45-50lbs on the pad of your thumb and your index finger over the thumbnail..... Even that configuration can't hold 55lbs - the string rips out of my hand about an inch before my hand reaches my face.

(I'm using a thumb tab, not a proper thumb ring).

At some point I fully intend to make myself a proper thumb ring (screw class limitations) and draw properly.

Currently still building up my new workshop/garage though.

tony08

just started playing with a horsebow, med release initially, never shot barebow before and scoring around 350 ish on a portsmouth (recurve normally around the 560 mark)

Nice one. My first score was 320 (instinctive) but then I started string walking to get the pile on the target at 20 yards. I was amazed that I could go so far below the knocking point on such a small bow with no adverse effects. Also, middle finger is anchored to the corner of my mouth at full draw, which lifts the arrow up even more.

Same experience as you guys with a home made thumb tab - no chance. My bow is 50lbs and it was just too much force on the whole thumb, even with the index finger over it.

The one thing which bugs me is there is no GNAS category for horsebow. You can sometimes be allowed to shoot against longbows but it's not accorded the respect that other bows types receive. No wonder a lot of archers consider it their 'toy bow' when it comes to competitions there's not really much doing.

azw409

363 using med draw. My last Portsmouth using my usual modern barebow was 517 so it's well down. This is only the 2nd time that I've used the Kaya so I'm expecting that this would improve a little. I'll try thumb draw next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk