Quechua Base Seconds

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Why is everyone so stoked on these? I can't believe what they're going for 2nd hand, when there are (imo) better range-tents going for 1/3 of the price, brand new.

Is it just 'coz peeps are too idle to fit a couple of poles?

This is what I have earmarked for the outdoor season - £80 (and it has a floor!)

Arpenez RangeTent.jpg

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I love mine; worth every penny I paid new for it, and still going strong after 10+ years. *Way* better than struggling with poles by myself in a gale on the tent line in the pouring rain. I too can't believe how much they sell for second hand. Some folks do moan it's on the big size but I often end up sharing.
If you are looking for alternatives don't go for over 7 feet square or you'll be told to put it on the back row - it's too big - and I wouldn't go for anything with a fixed floor as it's going to get terribly muddy. Get something with no floor and a separate groundsheet you can easily clean. So Lion, I wouldn't buy what you are thinking of, no. It's too big, it's not pop-up and it has a built in floor.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
one time (now ex) decathlon employee here although I bought mine long before I was getting any staff discounts! :(
my opinion on the base seconds : the key is the ease of setting up and storage. there is the issue of taking down but practice makes perfect on that.
also when you get the delta shape, at a shoot in balbardie mine turned into a hang glider and I was literally 6 feet off the ground hanging on. the lack of a ground sheet was never a problem as I had a separate one to keep things out the mud. convenience in iffy weather was big plus

I felt at the time I was working with them that the more recent generation of tents werent as good as the base seconds. They were more fiddly and always took longer to set up for displays and that was indoors or in good weather outdoors. we never set up tents in poor conditions because of faff. taking down was time consuming as well again indoors.

one time (now ex) decathlon employee here although I bought mine long before I was getting any staff discounts! :(
my opinion on the base seconds : the key is the ease of setting up and storage. there is the issue of taking down but practice makes perfect on that.
also when you get the delta shape, at a shoot in balbardie mine turned into a hang glider and I was literally 6 feet off the ground hanging on. the lack of a ground sheet was never a problem as I had a separate one to keep things out the mud. convenience in iffy weather was big plus

I felt at the time I was working with them that the more recent generation of tents werent as good as the base seconds. They were more fiddly and always took longer to set up for displays and that was indoors or in good weather outdoors. we never set up tents in poor conditions because of faff. taking down was time consuming as well again indoors.
Don't suppose you know of any staff who have one they no longer want? (god loves a trier ;) )

eljetico

Supporter
Supporter
@mcmurchiegb - are you still looking for a Base Seconds? I have one I'm thinking of selling - wondering what its worth...

Its green and in good nick (clean, watertight, no groundsheet, no pegs).

Tim

Hi Tim, sorry it's been a while since I looked on this site, yes I'm still looking for one generally they sell for £150+ on ebay

Regards
Steve